Clippers Topbuzz
Post new topic   Reply to topic
← Medals for the Game Vs. Bobcats Log in to check your private messages → 2013 All-Star Game First Ballot Results
Author   
Clippersfan86
Post Subject: Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA Post ID: 328835by Clippersfan86 » Dec 08, 2012 - 11:58 PM PST
CTB MVP X3
 Avatar


Age: 28
Posts: 14898
Reputation: 982.2Reputation: 982.2 Rep Post +1
votes: 86
  

"They're a really, really good team. There's no reason why they shouldn't be talking about an opportunity to win a championship. They've got good starters. They've got by far the best bench in the NBA. It's not even close I don't think. When you bring in Lamar Odom and Jamal Crawford and this kid [Eric] Bledsoe, the improvement he's made this year.

I think Ryan Hollins and [Ronny] Turiaf this year have both played really good basketball. I've seen games where the second unit has really gotten separation for them. In the games they struggled, the second unit is really the one that's got them back in games, so when you're that deep and you're loaded with veteran guys and good young players like Bledsoe, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be thinking about playing in June".

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/alvin- ... s-clippers



                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post Subject: RE: Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA Post ID: 328885by pageC4 » Dec 09, 2012 - 10:54 AM PST
CTB MVP X1


Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

^^^Good compliment by Alvin Gentry. I am a firm believer that this team, from top to bottom, is the best in the league. However, its up to them to determine their fate. Unfortunately this team has a Jekyl and Hyde personality. They go on long winning streaks and long losing streaks. The potential to end up like last year is still a very likely possibility. Thats why I stress so much that this team needs much more consistency in the win loss trend. They need to figure out how to snap out of a loss. Because it seems as soon as they log one it turns into four, so they do need to learn to get their heads back in the right state.

                
      Back to top
FightOnRon
Post Subject: RE: Alvin Gentry: Clippers by far have best bench in NBA Post ID: 328888by FightOnRon » Dec 09, 2012 - 11:08 AM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4258
Location: The Darkside
us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 35

Guy was probably was thinking,why didn't DTS give me a team like this?

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 328893by pageC4 » Dec 09, 2012 - 11:15 AM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

LMFAO, yeah. Gentry is a very good coach that didnt get a fair shake here in Clipper land.

                
      Back to top
Clippersfan86
Post ID: 328899by Clippersfan86 » Dec 09, 2012 - 11:40 AM PST
CTB MVP X3

Posts: 14898
Rep Post +1
votes: 86

Yea I loved Alvin when he was here. I was actually pissed when he was fired because he got a raw deal. The young Clippers team was improving every year until the front office and injuries fu**ed it up.

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 328901by pageC4 » Dec 09, 2012 - 11:46 AM PST
CTB MVP X1


Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

Well, talent will always reveal itself, and once he got a second shot Gentry capitlaized on it

                
      Back to top
Clipswhit
Post ID: 329175by Clipswhit » Dec 09, 2012 - 05:02 PM PST
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1715

am.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 7

I think we have the best bench in the NBA, but our first team is far too inconsistent without Billups for us to be considered the best team top to bettom. I think once Hill and Billups come back, we're the best team in the NBA, but Butler is too inconsistent/not a threat on the boards, and Green is too much of a nonfactor to make that claim at the moment.

                
      Back to top
bullterrierclipsfan1349
Post ID: 329185by bullterrierclipsfan1349 » Dec 09, 2012 - 05:10 PM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 30

^idk about that. butler is seen as inconsistent because he is not putting up 15 to 17 ppg cuz he doesnt have to. the guy is scoring between 9-11 ppg and playing solid d. willie green is coming back to the lineup cuz of necessity and he plays d and makes shots when he is needed to. granted both have had one or 2 games where they did not perform, but they usually do.

                
      Back to top
CP3Heliflopter
Post ID: 329192by CP3Heliflopter » Dec 09, 2012 - 05:26 PM PST
CTB MVP X2


Posts: 5607
Rep Post +1
votes: 10

Butler and Green have been playing pretty horrendous D to be honest.

                
      Back to top
FreaKeyy
Post ID: 329238by FreaKeyy » Dec 09, 2012 - 07:06 PM PST
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1873
Location: LA
Rep Post +1
votes: 12

Today and yesterday's game are just another example why we have the BEAST bench.

                
      Back to top
bullterrierclipsfan1349
Post ID: 329341by bullterrierclipsfan1349 » Dec 10, 2012 - 05:09 AM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 30

CP3Heliflopter wrote:
bullterrierclipsfan1349 wrote:
^idk about that. butler is seen as inconsistent because he is not putting up 15 to 17 ppg cuz he doesnt have to. the guy is scoring between 9-11 ppg and playing solid d. willie green is coming back to the lineup cuz of necessity and he plays d and makes shots when he is needed to. granted both have had one or 2 games where they did not perform, but they usually do.
Butler and Green have been playing pretty horrendous D to be honest.

usually its a team effort when we talk about D, not individual. if that were the case, we would have to scrutinize DJ and BG as well. willie green essentially became the odd man out when billups came back and hes getting acclimated once again to starting in place of chauncey. butler is getting less playing time due to the emergence of odom and the solid play of barnes, so cut them some slack.

                
      Back to top
Heediot
Post ID: 329343by Heediot » Dec 10, 2012 - 05:32 AM PST
Clipper Starter
Posts: 905
Rep Post +1
votes: 4

Clippers Bench would make the Playoffs out east.

Bledsoe Crawford-Greene-Leslie Barnes-Hill Odom-Thompkins Turiaf-Hollins

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 329446by pageC4 » Dec 10, 2012 - 08:18 PM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

7th or 8th seed int east for sure. If lamar is in top form they would even put up a good fight

                
      Back to top
Grillinnap
Post ID: 329471by Grillinnap » Dec 10, 2012 - 11:01 PM PST
Posts: 7377
Location: Laughing at irrational Laker morons
Rep Post +1
votes: 22

Why did he fail as a Clipper coach while he's had some success in Phoenix, including winning 54 games and reaching the WCF? The 2001-02 season has got to be the most disappointing season in Clippers history along with 2006-07. I thought we had everything when we got our PG. Yeah, Miller was a headcase but it was the coach's job to set him straight.

                
      Back to top
A7XDreamTheaterClipps
Post ID: 329474by A7XDreamTheaterClipps » Dec 10, 2012 - 11:24 PM PST
Clipper Starter
Posts: 683
Rep Post +1
votes: 4

That was 02-03 when the Clippers had that disappointing season. Gentry did pretty well the year before with Q, and Miles and Lamar was out for the entire second half of the season and allowed Corey Maggette to rise up as a starter.

                
      Back to top
Grillinnap
Post ID: 329485by Grillinnap » Dec 11, 2012 - 02:27 AM PST
Posts: 7377
Location: Laughing at irrational Laker morons
Rep Post +1
votes: 22

Oh yeah, my bad. I just feel old just remembering those seasons since I was still in high school. Gentry was fired during 2002-03 and Dennis Johnson (RIP) served as the interim coach. That was also the first season of the Clippers on KTLA. "Ccccccccccccccccc-mon!!!!" LOL

                
      Back to top
clipperboy24
Post ID: 329501by clipperboy24 » Dec 11, 2012 - 11:15 AM PST
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4664
Rep Post +1
votes: 37

Love hearing this from Gentry and not surprised. He was always a class act when he was here.

                
      Back to top
A7XDreamTheaterClipps
Post ID: 329520by A7XDreamTheaterClipps » Dec 11, 2012 - 01:08 PM PST
Clipper Starter
Posts: 683
Rep Post +1
votes: 4

Remember when the Lakers had the "best offseason" and completely overshadowed the Clippers big offseason moves? PAY BACKS A B!TCH!!!!

                
      Back to top
cleepers
Post ID: 329525by cleepers » Dec 11, 2012 - 01:28 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7987

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 94

^ Too bad for them a great offseason doesn't count for sh!t in the standings.

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 330095by pageC4 » Dec 12, 2012 - 11:16 AM PST
CTB MVP X1
 Avatar

Posts: 4160

us.gif

Reputation: 166Reputation: 166 Rep Post +1
votes: 19

Yeah their acquisition of Dwight and Nash had everyone thinking finals appearance at the very minimum. Meanwhile, I think we all lost sight of a few things. 1. In the previous two years the Lakers were ousted in the second round. 2. That core roster of Gasol, Bryant, and World Peace was slowly aging and losing athleticism 3. The major acquisition in their offseason was Dwight Howard (the best center in the game), and he replaced the second best center in the league. So even their biggest acquisition was only a minor ugrade over what they already had. 4. Their second largest acquisition of Steve Nash was yet again only a minor upgrade over what they had at point guard the previous seasons. While Steve Nash is a former all star and future hall of famer his age has rendered his shooting ability inefficient and his legs can no longer keep up with the younger guards in the league. Sound familiar? Bringing in Nash at this stage in his career is simply a miniscule upgrade over Derek Fisher. In fact, the advantage to them having kept Ramon Sessions is that at least his athleticism was still there. 5. Their bench acquisitions of Jamison and Meeks just haven't panned out. Despite flashes of brillaince in their career it simply hasnt worked out here with the Lakers. 6. D'antoni simply runs a fast paced, high octane system that the Lakers do not have the legs to implement.

Of course all these developments are evident now, but at the time many people got caught up with the intrigue of the flashy free agent signings. Who wouldhave ever though that the Clippers with their small ball approach

                
      Back to top
tense2
Post ID: 330096by tense2 » Dec 12, 2012 - 11:21 AM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8189
Rep Post +1
votes: 20

^Agree with everything except #4. He shot well last year and is a huge improvement over Fisher. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

                
      Back to top
CP3Best
Post ID: 330097by CP3Best » Dec 12, 2012 - 11:23 AM PST
CTB MVP X1


Posts: 4629
Rep Post +1
votes: 11

1 tiny change to your criteria, Ramon Sessions would've been better for the Lakers, look at what he's doing, Running the break so good, defense is pretty good as well, I'm glad they got Nash instead of him, cause he would've been a good fit with the run 'n gun Dumbtoni. And I think Dumbtoni will just call it quits and retire, he's tired of having superteams play like sht under his tutelage(Knicks, Lakers)

                
      Back to top
tense2
Post ID: 330099by tense2 » Dec 12, 2012 - 11:27 AM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8189
Rep Post +1
votes: 20

The Knicks are no "Super Team" just yet, lol.

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 330170by pageC4 » Dec 12, 2012 - 03:41 PM PST
CTB MVP X1


Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

miniscule improvememt because even this year his ppg are really low. Omprovement yes, but not a massive one imo

                
      Back to top
CP3Heliflopter
Post ID: 330171by CP3Heliflopter » Dec 12, 2012 - 03:45 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
 Avatar

Posts: 5607
Reputation: 169.4Reputation: 169.4 Rep Post +1
votes: 10

tense2 wrote:
CP3Best wrote:
1 tiny change to your criteria, Ramon Sessions would've been better for the Lakers, look at what he's doing, Running the break so good, defense is pretty good as well, I'm glad they got Nash instead of him, cause he would've been a good fit with the run 'n gun Dumbtoni. And I think Dumbtoni will just call it quits and retire, he's tired of having superteams play like sht under his tutelage(Knicks, Lakers)

The Knicks are no "Super Team" just yet, lol.

Knicks don't have the star power to be a super team. They are like the Mavs in their championship run but with Melo instead. Elite team that fits well but not a super team. However, sometimes chemistry, depth, and a good fit>super teams.

There are only 3 super teams. OKC, Miami, and the Lakers and one of those teams is not very good.

I am so glad the Knicks did not get Nash. Look at what Nash is doing now. Look at what Jason Kidd is giving us in comparison. Great leadership, clutchness, intangibles. He is shooting 53% from 3 point range. 50/53/92 atm. Also he still has elite defense at the age of 39!

                
      Back to top
tense2
Post ID: 330177by tense2 » Dec 12, 2012 - 03:57 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8189
Rep Post +1
votes: 20

pageC4 wrote:
tense2 wrote:
^Agree with everything except #4. He shot well last year and is a huge improvement over Fisher. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html
miniscule improvememt because even this year his ppg are really low. Omprovement yes, but not a massive one imo

Can't judge him....because he's hasn't REALLY played yet.....and look at ALL the numbers.

                
      Back to top
tense2
Post ID: 330180by tense2 » Dec 12, 2012 - 04:04 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8189
Rep Post +1
votes: 20

I agree with OC/Miami being "Super Teams" (in today's market), but disagree about the Lakers. As CJ said in another thread, they were just that.....if this was 2007. Very Happy

                
      Back to top
82-0
Post ID: 330182by 82-0 » Dec 12, 2012 - 04:07 PM PST
Posts: 1360
Rep Post +1
votes: 3

Wasn't Gentry the guy who DTS' hooker told him to hire?

                
      Back to top
Heediot
Post ID: 330573by Heediot » Dec 13, 2012 - 04:55 AM PST
Clipper Starter
Posts: 905
Rep Post +1
votes: 4

Gentry probably nailed her too, maybe gave her multiple orgasms.

                
      Back to top
pageC4
Post ID: 330623by pageC4 » Dec 13, 2012 - 01:41 PM PST
CTB MVP X1


Posts: 4160

us.gif

Rep Post +1
votes: 19

Nash's FG % is .333, 3P% is .200, APG is 4.0, PPG is 4.5 Fisher FG% is .311, 3P% is .467, APG is 3.7, PPG is 7.8 Sessions FG % is .375, 3p% is .250, APG is 4.3, PPG is 14.3

How is Steve Nash's production this year that much better than either of the two guys the lakers let walk? And the fact that he's injured goes to show that it wasnt a huge upgrade to bring in Nash since his body cant handle the NBA schedule anymore. Also, bring up salaries of these three and then tell me given the production, the pay of each, and how many games each has played that Nash is a huge upgrade. Before I said it was a miniscule improvement but looking at the numbers I take that back this move was a downgrade by the Lakers and they gave up multiple picks to get him and tied themselves into millions of dollars in salary..no way your argument stands tense.

                
      Back to top
tense2
Post ID: 330638by tense2 » Dec 13, 2012 - 02:57 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8189
Reputation: 532.5 Rep Post +1
votes: 20

pageC4 wrote:
tense2 wrote:
Can't judge him....because he's hasn't REALLY played yet.....and look at ALL the numbers.
Nash's FG % is .333, 3P% is .200, APG is 4.0, PPG is 4.5 Fisher FG% is .311, 3P% is .467, APG is 3.7, PPG is 7.8 Sessions FG % is .375, 3p% is .250, APG is 4.3, PPG is 14.3

How is Steve Nash's production this year that much better than either of the two guys the lakers let walk? And the fact that he's injured goes to show that it wasnt a huge upgrade to bring in Nash since his body cant handle the NBA schedule anymore. Also, bring up salaries of these three and then tell me given the production, the pay of each, and how many games each has played that Nash is a huge upgrade. Before I said it was a miniscule improvement but looking at the numbers I take that back this move was a downgrade by the Lakers and they gave up multiple picks to get him and tied themselves into millions of dollars in salary..no way your argument stands tense.

Small sample...guess you don't get it. Look at last years numbers...all of them. Nash's production won't fall off that much from last year....when he CAN play IMO. We'll see who's right soon enough.

                
      Back to top
CP3Heliflopter
Post ID: 330640by CP3Heliflopter » Dec 13, 2012 - 03:02 PM PST
CTB MVP X2
 Avatar

Posts: 5607
Reputation: 169.4Reputation: 169.4 Rep Post +1
votes: 10

pageC4 wrote:
tense2 wrote:
Can't judge him....because he's hasn't REALLY played yet.....and look at ALL the numbers.
Nash's FG % is .333, 3P% is .200, APG is 4.0, PPG is 4.5 Fisher FG% is .311, 3P% is .467, APG is 3.7, PPG is 7.8 Sessions FG % is .375, 3p% is .250, APG is 4.3, PPG is 14.3

How is Steve Nash's production this year that much better than either of the two guys the lakers let walk? And the fact that he's injured goes to show that it wasnt a huge upgrade to bring in Nash since his body cant handle the NBA schedule anymore. Also, bring up salaries of these three and then tell me given the production, the pay of each, and how many games each has played that Nash is a huge upgrade. Before I said it was a miniscule improvement but looking at the numbers I take that back this move was a downgrade by the Lakers and they gave up multiple picks to get him and tied themselves into millions of dollars in salary..no way your argument stands tense.

Last season Nash almost led the league in assists. He would have if he played as many minutes as Rondo. Enough said.

                
      Back to top
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic
← Medals for the Game Vs. Bobcats Log in to check your private messages → 2013 All-Star Game First Ballot Results


← Medals for the Game Vs. Bobcats

→ 2013 All-Star Game First Ballot Results

Related Topics
Topic Replies Posted
No new posts Clippers @ Warriors Playoffs Gm. #3 Game Thread 2014-04-24 5 Apr 23, 2014 - 08:46 PM
No new posts Blake Griffin and Chris Paul Become Equals for Clippers 19 Apr 22, 2014 - 11:12 PM
No new posts Clippers vs Warriors Playoffs Gm. #2 Game Thread 2014-04-21 879 Apr 20, 2014 - 06:37 PM
No new posts List of Bad Calls for Game 1 of Clippers vs Warriors 108 Apr 20, 2014 - 12:24 AM
No new posts Clippers Betting Odds Discussion & Analysis 4 Apr 18, 2014 - 12:26 PM


register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!