Clippers Could Have Drafted Chandler Parsons

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
clips15deep
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Posts: 347
votes: 1
 

Think back to the 2011 draft, when Kyrie Irving went number 1. Everyone got excited when they saw that Trey Thompkins, our 2nd rounder, might be an okay player. What they didn't know was that our should be starting SF was drafted one pick after Thompkins; CHANDLER PARSONS. Parsons is a 6 10 wing defender with great 3 point shooting. He can also drive, pass, and rebound, plus he is only paid $888,000. Best of all, he was and is one of Blake Griffin's best friends. When most people look at that draft, they see what could have been with Thompkins. When I look back at that draft, I see what could have been at our small forward spot.

Silasie
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2012

uk.gif
votes: 2

I like Parsons game a lot.

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 6011
votes: 10

Agree. He would have been the perfect fit. He does not need the ball to thrive, good spot up shooter, good cutter, good wing defender.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

parsons is great and so is hindsight.

other memorable botched picks:

83: byron scott over clyde drexler

84: lancaster gordon over john stockton

85: benoit benjaman over karl malone

87: reggie williams over scottie pippen/reggie miller

89: danny ferry (who didnt even want to be here!) over glen rice,hardaway, kemp

92: randy woods over latrell sprewell

96: lorenzen wright (RIP) over kobe, nash

98: olowokandi over nowitzki, pierce, carter, jamison

02: wilcox over stoudemire

05: korolev over granger, lee

07: thornton over marc gasol

10: aminu over paul george (who wanted to be here!)

insignificant
Clipper Starter
Posts: 426

us.gif
votes: 7

damn. ekker you are wise. always coming in with interesting facts

ClipperB23
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2154
votes: 21

Blazer fans sure wish they can redo some draft nights as well!

Sam Bowie>Michael Jordan, than years later Greg Oden>Kevin Durant!

lobcityhawaii
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3220

us.gif
votes: 4

^lol very true Bryan! Both were huge mistakes! Jordan one was the worst!

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

in the end, though, its kinda unfair to judge. not so much because of hindsight, but because of how a particular player fits on a team. all teams are different and are filled with different philosophies, systems, roles, etc. if jordan ended up getting drafted on a portland team that already had a me-first scorer in clyde drexler, maybe jordan doesnt become the legend he is today.

its all about a player falling to the "right" team/situation on draft day.

Jerediscool
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1739
votes: 17

Living in Portland I hear this kinda talk all the time. They talk about every possible miss all the time all the way up to nolan smith over faried. Every team has some big misses, you gotta just look forward and hope that your next one is the big one that you get right.

CapsNClips
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4055

us.gif
votes: 46

You have to take into account the team that's drafting the player. Would the Rocket have won 2 chips with Jordan? Probably but it was smart for them to draft The Dream because they ended up having the perfect dose of Guards to go along with Hakeem. Granted Jordan wasn't in the league for 1.5 of those seasons

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 6011
votes: 10

Eh I get your point but I wouldn't use the Dream as an example. He is a top 10 player all time and frankly would have won more chips if he played with the stacked rosters MJ, Bird and Magic had. Even though the Dream didn't beat Jordan in the Finals he did sweep the team that beat the Bulls so which is insane.

botev1921
Clipper Starter
Posts: 536

bu.gif
votes: 2

Forget about what could have been and let's get Doug McDermott in this year draft. The guy certainly won't be drafter higher than mid 20s and we should move, maneuver, combine picks with players just to get our hands on that guy. I have no idea why isn't he considered a top 15 prospect, but have never seen a more perfect fit for our team. People think his defense is ****, but that is terribly underrated. He can hit 3s like crazy, drive, rebound and...well if a SF can do all those things, he can certainly improve on the defensive end with time! Remember my words, this guy will be the Parsons of this year draft, the hidden gem, steal, etc.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8937
votes: 20

We've never been very astute in the draft, lol. And all those times in the lottery..yikes.

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

tense2 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
parsons is great and so is hindsight.

other memorable botched picks:

83: byron scott over clyde drexler

84: lancaster gordon over john stockton

85: benoit benjaman over karl malone

87: reggie williams over scottie pippen/reggie miller

89: danny ferry (who didnt even want to be here!) over glen rice,hardaway, kemp

92: randy woods over latrell sprewell

96: lorenzen wright (RIP) over kobe, nash

98: olowokandi over nowitzki, pierce, carter, jamison

02: wilcox over stoudemire

05: korolev over granger, lee

07: thornton over marc gasol

10: aminu over paul george (who wanted to be here!)

We've never been very astute in the draft, lol. And all those times in the lottery..yikes.

every time I look at the players we've passed up, i get pretty depressed... didn't we also pass up Kevin Garnett?

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8937
votes: 20

Yes, we chose Antonio McDyess, good...until we than traded him to Denver for Rodney Rogers and a 1st round pick in the draft, which ended up being Brent "Bones" Berry.

bullterrierclipsfan1349
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif
votes: 30

i agree. we need deadeye shooters like mcdermott. he would essentially replace hill when hill retires.

clips15deep
Clipper Starter
Posts: 347
votes: 1

bullterrierclipsfan1349 wrote:
botev1921 wrote:
Forget about what could have been and let's get Doug McDermott in this year draft. The guy certainly won't be drafter higher than mid 20s and we should move, maneuver, combine picks with players just to get our hands on that guy. I have no idea why isn't he considered a top 15 prospect, but have never seen a more perfect fit for our team. People think his defense is ****, but that is terribly underrated. He can hit 3s like crazy, drive, rebound and...well if a SF can do all those things, he can certainly improve on the defensive end with time! Remember my words, this guy will be the Parsons of this year draft, the hidden gem, steal, etc.

i agree. we need deadeye shooters like mcdermott. he would essentially replace hill when hill retires.

Absolutely, McDermott would be ideal. He is already projected around the 25-30 range, and generally non-athletic players fall on draft day... Then they are snatched up and become good players.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8937
votes: 20

clips15deep wrote:
bullterrierclipsfan1349 wrote:
botev1921 wrote:
Forget about what could have been and let's get Doug McDermott in this year draft. The guy certainly won't be drafter higher than mid 20s and we should move, maneuver, combine picks with players just to get our hands on that guy. I have no idea why isn't he considered a top 15 prospect, but have never seen a more perfect fit for our team. People think his defense is ****, but that is terribly underrated. He can hit 3s like crazy, drive, rebound and...well if a SF can do all those things, he can certainly improve on the defensive end with time! Remember my words, this guy will be the Parsons of this year draft, the hidden gem, steal, etc.

i agree. we need deadeye shooters like mcdermott. he would essentially replace hill when hill retires.

Absolutely, McDermott would be ideal. He is already projected around the 25-30 range, and generally non-athletic players fall on draft day... Then they are snatched up and become good players.

Good choice, but I think there are some better players out there to choice from.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4896
votes: 38

The one that hurts the most is Paul George because he was exactly what we needed and so many of us wanted him

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1049
votes: 6

clips15deep wrote:
bullterrierclipsfan1349 wrote:
botev1921 wrote:
Forget about what could have been and let's get Doug McDermott in this year draft. The guy certainly won't be drafter higher than mid 20s and we should move, maneuver, combine picks with players just to get our hands on that guy. I have no idea why isn't he considered a top 15 prospect, but have never seen a more perfect fit for our team. People think his defense is ****, but that is terribly underrated. He can hit 3s like crazy, drive, rebound and...well if a SF can do all those things, he can certainly improve on the defensive end with time! Remember my words, this guy will be the Parsons of this year draft, the hidden gem, steal, etc.

i agree. we need deadeye shooters like mcdermott. he would essentially replace hill when hill retires.

Absolutely, McDermott would be ideal. He is already projected around the 25-30 range, and generally non-athletic players fall on draft day... Then they are snatched up and become good players.

I think the Clippers should go after Tim Hardaway Jr who will probably be available when the Clippers pick.

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1049
votes: 6

People always mention that the Clippers issues have been the owner not wanting to pay big money to keep players or the bad trades. But in my opinion, it's always been the horrible drafting. Teams like the Clippers with a negative history need to break through with a great draft pick. Look at the San Antonio Spurs...they've had several decades of success because they drafted David Robinson and then Tim Duncan. Players now see the Spurs as a destination for potential rings due to the culture change from these two players.

With the Clippers lucking out and winning the lottery the year Blake Griffin was coming out, they finally got their break on a seemingly no brainer pick (glad Dumbleavy did not ruin it by drafting Thabeet or something instead). Sterling doesn't pay for borderlined stars who are prima donnas, but it's looking like he will put up the cash for real superstars like Blake Griffin and now CP3.

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 6011
votes: 10

I think the Clippers have drafted fairly well in the past 5 seasons.

07: Thornton was not a bad pick not much talent around the 14th pick.

08: DJ at 35 was an absolute steal too bad we ended up overpaying him by matching the GSWs.

09: Eric Gordon was a good pick. Allowed us to get CP3. BG was an obvious pick so nothing to say there.

10: Bledsoe was a steal at 18. Aminu was iffy. Only bad pick in the past 5-6 seasons but we would have likely traded Hayward or George for CP3.

Before that though yikes.... I actually never realized the Clippers drafted Tyson Chandler Shocked. Flipping him for Brand was a great idea since Chandler was very raw. I know people hate Brand for what he did but he was a beast in his prime and very underrated.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
 Avatar
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

great post.

only going back to the 90s, each championship team was lucky enough to draft ELITE talent that eventually became the nucleus of their winning squads.

miami - drafted wade. wade brought shaq and LBJ

LAL - drafted kobe

DAL - drafted nowitzki

SAS - drafted DR and TD

CHI - drafted jordan and pippen

HOU - drafted olajuwon

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1049
votes: 6

ekker3 wrote:
slestack11 wrote:

People always mention that the Clippers issues have been the owner not wanting to pay big money to keep players or the bad trades. But in my opinion, it's always been the horrible drafting. Teams like the Clippers with a negative history need to break through with a great draft pick. Look at the San Antonio Spurs...they've had several decades of success because they drafted David Robinson and then Tim Duncan. Players now see the Spurs as a destination for potential rings due to the culture change from these two players.

With the Clippers lucking out and winning the lottery the year Blake Griffin was coming out, they finally got their break on a seemingly no brainer pick (glad Dumbleavy did not ruin it by drafting Thabeet or something instead). Sterling doesn't pay for borderlined stars who are prima donnas, but it's looking like he will put up the cash for real superstars like Blake Griffin and now CP3.

great post.

only going back to the 90s, each championship team was lucky enough to draft ELITE talent that eventually became the nucleus of their winning squads.

miami - drafted wade. wade brought shaq and LBJ

LAL - drafted kobe

DAL - drafted nowitzki

SAS - drafted DR and TD

CHI - drafted jordan and pippen

HOU - drafted olajuwon

The Lakers actually traded Vlade Divac for Kobe on draft day and then drafted Derek Fisher with their pick that year. But getting Shaq that same season was pretty huge. I consider the Lakers the exception to the rule because their history and celebrity fans tend to draw free agents. When you don't have a history to fall back on, a good draft pick is always the best way to break through. Hopefully Clippers have finally done that.

botev1921
Clipper Starter
Posts: 536

bu.gif
votes: 2

tense2 wrote:
clips15deep wrote:
bullterrierclipsfan1349 wrote:

i agree. we need deadeye shooters like mcdermott. he would essentially replace hill when hill retires.

Absolutely, McDermott would be ideal. He is already projected around the 25-30 range, and generally non-athletic players fall on draft day... Then they are snatched up and become good players.

Good choice, but I think there are some better players out there to choice from.

Of course there are, but I doubt we can move into the lottery without giving something significant in return. Glenn Robinson III is also a very good fit for us but I doubt he drops beyond 9-10. The one thing I have with Tim Hardaway Jr is his FT% and I really don't want another FT hole in our team.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8937
votes: 20

I mean better players or as good WITHOUT having to move into the lottery.

P.S.

Don't draft Hardaway Jr....ugh.

clips15deep
Clipper Starter
Posts: 347
votes: 1

Kentavious Caldwell Pope can drain. He might fall to us, but unlikely.

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 6011
votes: 10

tense2 wrote:
botev1921 wrote:

Of course there are, but I doubt we can move into the lottery without giving something significant in return. Glenn Robinson III is also a very good fit for us but I doubt he drops beyond 9-10. The one thing I have with Tim Hardaway Jr is his FT% and I really don't want another FT hole in our team.

I mean better players or as good WITHOUT having to move into the lottery.

P.S.

Don't draft Hardaway Jr....ugh.

Hardaway Jr reminds me of a rich man's Austin Rivers which is still bad. lol

hoopfanjd31
Clipper Starter
Posts: 724
votes: 3

CP3Heliflopter wrote:
tense2 wrote:
botev1921 wrote:

Of course there are, but I doubt we can move into the lottery without giving something significant in return. Glenn Robinson III is also a very good fit for us but I doubt he drops beyond 9-10. The one thing I have with Tim Hardaway Jr is his FT% and I really don't want another FT hole in our team.

I mean better players or as good WITHOUT having to move into the lottery.

P.S.

Don't draft Hardaway Jr....ugh.

Hardaway Jr reminds me of a rich man's Austin Rivers which is still bad. lol

I don't really see that comparison. Hardaway has legitimate 2 guard size and doesn't seem to be nearly the chucker that Rivers is.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Medals for the Game Vs. Memphis

→ All NBA Teams

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!