I think we're pursuing Rubio - Threatens return to Europe (P. 3)

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 16086
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 128

Your wish is my command! Sir! Very Happy

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

lmfao

hockeypro68
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 54
votes: 1

Who ever said Ricky would be INSTEAD of Baron? I can see us running a 4 guard rotation at the 1 and 2 with Baron, Ricky, Taylor, and Gordon.

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

Ricky Losero? Thats funny, I think he's going to NY sorry Rubio fans, Nate Robinson and Jeffries might get dealt, I don't think they want to give up Lee. ME I'm gonna sit back relax and wait for summer league to start, I don't see anything big happening that wouldn't surprise me now.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

Not sure I agree with that, particularly if you're talking about the Baron Davis we saw last year.... Better than Baron... CP3, D. Williams, Nash, Bullups, Parker, Rondo, Miller, Bibby, Rose, Kidd, Mo Williams, Calderon, Harris, and then there's a bunch of guys who were just as good or better last year... Now, perhaps Baron will come back to being the Baron of old... Who knows? I do know that the Baron I saw last year was not only one of the worst point guards in the league, but was one of the league's worst players period.

I think it's entirely possible we are looking to grab Ricky, or someone else, primarily for the following reason. Baron proved to be uncoachable last season. He was lazy and out of shape. He didn't pass the ball, shot first rather than got shots for others, as a PG should do... In short, he was a disaster. And, worst of all, he quit in December... Dunleavy has to hate him. Probably can't trust him ever again. I'm sure Dunleavy would love to move him out if he can.

I would much prefer a pass-first PG... And, based on Baron's effort level last year, I will always disrespect him. Nothing is worse than a guy who quits when things are going bad... He's not the guy I'd want running this team if I were Dunleavy. So, I think anything is possible. Baron could be traded if Dunleavy can get value for him, or he could be back if he doesn't. In either case, we need a good PG as his backup because Baron 1. Misses a lot of games with injury 2. Needs to have someone behind him who can push him for minutes to keep him motivated 3. Have someone solid behind him to take his place in the event he brings last year's effort again.

I don't claim to know who that person could be. Hinrich, obviously... Of the rookies, I want a pass-first guy. Rubio fits that bill more than Flynn, who tends to be more a scoring PG... There is nobody in this draft, other than Blake, who is a can't miss player... Possibly Tyreke, since he can play 3 positions.

elton_sucks42
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2486
votes: 11

SamMays wrote:
Quote:

Baron Davis is one of the best 10 point guards in the world NOT usa .....THE WORLD

Not sure I agree with that, particularly if you're talking about the Baron Davis we saw last year.... Better than Baron... CP3, D. Williams, Nash, Bullups, Parker, Rondo, Miller, Bibby, Rose, Kidd, Mo Williams, Calderon, Harris, and then there's a bunch of guys who were just as good or better last year... Now, perhaps Baron will come back to being the Baron of old... Who knows? I do know that the Baron I saw last year was not only one of the worst point guards in the league, but was one of the league's worst players period.

I think it's entirely possible we are looking to grab Ricky, or someone else, primarily for the following reason. Baron proved to be uncoachable last season. He was lazy and out of shape. He didn't pass the ball, shot first rather than got shots for others, as a PG should do... In short, he was a disaster. And, worst of all, he quit in December... Dunleavy has to hate him. Probably can't trust him ever again. I'm sure Dunleavy would love to move him out if he can.

I would much prefer a pass-first PG... And, based on Baron's effort level last year, I will always disrespect him. Nothing is worse than a guy who quits when things are going bad... He's not the guy I'd want running this team if I were Dunleavy. So, I think anything is possible. Baron could be traded if Dunleavy can get value for him, or he could be back if he doesn't. In either case, we need a good PG as his backup because Baron 1. Misses a lot of games with injury 2. Needs to have someone behind him who can push him for minutes to keep him motivated 3. Have someone solid behind him to take his place in the event he brings last year's effort again.

I don't claim to know who that person could be. Hinrich, obviously... Of the rookies, I want a pass-first guy. Rubio fits that bill more than Flynn, who tends to be more a scoring PG... There is nobody in this draft, other than Blake, who is a can't miss player... Possibly Tyreke, since he can play 3 positions.

Not that I disagree with you but all your posts are disrespecting baron. I dont even have to look at the user name. I would just know that this was posted by sam. haha. I understand that Baron pissed you off last season. He pissed us all off. However, last season was just just no Baron. It was a combination of many things. ALso, there should be a caveat with the guy who posted that Baron Davis is one of the 10 players IN THE WORLD. That caveat is " When he is motivated".

Based on this offseason, it seems Baron is motivated. like it or not our success rides on Baron Davis. If he comes in motivated and leads this team and distributes and penetrates we will succeed. I guarantee it.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

Quote:

there should be a caveat with the guy who posted that Baron Davis is one of the 10 players IN THE WORLD. That caveat is " When he is motivated".

When I play golf, I usually say, I played great except for all the lousy shots I kept hitting. We shouldn't have to rationalize... A star player shouldn't have to be motivated to give his best. There are 82 games. They need to be self-motivated to get through that kind of season. Prideful in fact... When Baron quit, he showed a very weak side of his character. That side to his character won't simply go away... When the going gets tough, he's proven to be a guy who folds and quits and tries to get coaches fired. We shouldn't have to worry about whether or not he comes in motivated.

Quote:

However, last season was just just no Baron.

Unfortunately, it was Baron... I do know, however, there is another side to Baron as well. Maybe we'll see that one. Maybe Blake will improve the culture around here so that happy, hustling Baron, will be back... Of course, it should be the other way around with the vet leading the rook, but I'll take improvement any way I can.

I know I sound negative all the time, but actually I'm excited about this season. I love Gordon and Griffin... I even think Kaman and Thornton can be good pieces. I'm rooting for Taylor and Jordan to improve and I think are both exciting young players who are worth watching. I think most of us agree on those points (with some deviation on Kaman and Thornton)...

I've stated many times that I think Baron will be here next year and I hope he can win me back... It's just that once a man has revealed his true nature, it's hard to root for him again. He's got a long way to go to make amends for quitting on his fans, coaches and teammates.

But hey, it's conflict that makes drama, and makes posting on this site worth doing and worth reading... This is not to say I write what I do to stir things up and don't believe what I'm saying... Baron HAS made me hate his game and I think we would be better off without Randolph in our future... If all we wrote about what how much we liked Gordon, this site would be boring.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

Well yeah... Now can you guarantee that he'll lead the team and distribute and penetrate... That would be something Smile

elton_sucks42
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2486
votes: 11

SamMays wrote:
Quote:

there should be a caveat with the guy who posted that Baron Davis is one of the 10 players IN THE WORLD. That caveat is " When he is motivated".

When I play golf, I usually say, I played great except for all the lousy shots I kept hitting. We shouldn't have to rationalize... A star player shouldn't have to be motivated to give his best. There are 82 games. They need to be self-motivated to get through that kind of season. Prideful in fact... When Baron quit, he showed a very weak side of his character. That side to his character won't simply go away... When the going gets tough, he's proven to be a guy who folds and quits and tries to get coaches fired. We shouldn't have to worry about whether or not he comes in motivated.

Quote:

However, last season was just just no Baron.

Unfortunately, it was Baron... I do know, however, there is another side to Baron as well. Maybe we'll see that one. Maybe Blake will improve the culture around here so that happy, hustling Baron, will be back... Of course, it should be the other way around with the vet leading the rook, but I'll take improvement any way I can.

I know I sound negative all the time, but actually I'm excited about this season. I love Gordon and Griffin... I even think Kaman and Thornton can be good pieces. I'm rooting for Taylor and Jordan to improve and I think are both exciting young players who are worth watching. I think most of us agree on those points (with some deviation on Kaman and Thornton)...

I've stated many times that I think Baron will be here next year and I hope he can win me back... It's just that once a man has revealed his true nature, it's hard to root for him again. He's got a long way to go to make amends for quitting on his fans, coaches and teammates.

But hey, it's conflict that makes drama, and makes posting on this site worth doing and worth reading... This is not to say I write what I do to stir things up and don't believe what I'm saying... Baron HAS made me hate his game and I think we would be better off without Randolph in our future... If all we wrote about what how much we liked Gordon, this site would be boring.

I agree sam. Alot fans in Clipper Nation don't want Baron to fail. I can also agree with those people that Baron has to win people back. I guess we have to see what happens next season. Winning cures everything. Especially for a long suffering fan base like ours. If things go the same way, I am not against for revamping the pg spot. I just think given the injuries and given the state of our roster last season, it too premature to blow this team up and rebuild. I value everyone's post on here. If it was just a 24/7 eric gordon love fest, i wouldnt be on this site because it would get boring.

ClipperNation23
Posts: 85
votes: 0

hockeypro68 wrote:
ClipperNation23 wrote:
anyone that keeps saying we need ricky losero over baron davis please just delete your account........

and when baron goes off this year and plays like an all star LIKE EVERY YEAR IN HIS CAREER UNTIL HE MET DUNLEAVY.......dont come back saying "oh i love baron davis"

WE ALL KNOW WHO U ARE...

ricky rubio over baron davis..are u guys nuts??..... u guys are a bunch of draft fanatics pretending to know what your talking about........

PLEASE DONT TALK TRASH ABOUT MYYYYYY POINT GAURD!

ricky rubio over BD = losersssssssss

Who ever said Ricky would be INSTEAD of Baron? I can see us running a 4 guard rotation at the 1 and 2 with Baron, Ricky, Taylor, and Gordon.

rubio would be a disaster for our team...i mean what do u think is gonna happen when lets say rubio gets a rebound...his face lights up...he's pushing the ball...in his mind he sees a wrap around pass to AL...but all of a sudden a voice sneeks up from the side and it says....box 4, 7 side rub...go now!! lol what do u think would happen to a player like rubio and a set play coach like dunleavy..... disasterrr

and im one of those who believes rubio game will never translate to the nba.... u have to be crazy to think that style is gonna work in the nba...and the guy isnt even fast...lol he aint breaking down nooooobody

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

I think Rubio is the most amazing passer playing basketball today... He's gifted... I don't know if he'll be a great NBA player. It might be a matter of what team he's playing for... Certainly, Dunleavy would be the wrong coach to bring out his best... Put him with D'Antoni and Rubio could be great... He would have to play in an open floor to be at his best, which would mean we'd have to go with a system other than Dunleavy's and we'd have to bring in players suited to playing that... Griffin, Kaman, Gordon, Camby would all adjust well to a running style... Zach, not so much...

I'd love to see the Clipper play that style... But there's only one D'Antoni and we don't have him.

Anyway, I think our chances of getting Rubio are about nil.

Pr00F
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 17
votes: 0

No to Rubio.

IF this guy is already whinning about playing for a bigger city franchise he might as well play somewhere else.

He's unproven.

Youtube highlights do not make you a franchise player.

Any team does not need a prima donna!

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 722
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

We have plenty of pieces to get Rubio if we really want him. I doubt that they will even try to make it happen. Hopefully they prove me wrong...

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

The thing that's potentially great about Rubio is that he is truly a pass-first point guard. If he does well, that is the type of player that can not only light up the city, but also light up his teammates. Players love to play with someone who has no interest in anything other than helping them score. Other players would love to play with him. His teammates would quickly learn to love him and chemistry would be great.

He is a very different player than Baron, or Iverson who look for their own shots first. Hell, teams learned they had to move Iverson to the SG, because he only wanted to score... Baron is much the same and I wouldn't mind seeing him play a lot of SG, if we brought in a straight PG to back him up, or replace him... And when Baron is putting in a whopping .37 %, team chemistry can't be good.

Re: Rubio dictating where he goes. As a European player, he has more leverage than American players. He's content to say where he is and come back later. There's no reason he shouldn't take advantage of that... If any of us are offered a job, the city its in will matter to us. It will become an important element in whether or not we decide to take that job... Ricky isn't being an ass about it the way Steve Francis was some ten years ago... He's just saying, that if the situation isn't to his liking, he can stay in Spain for another year or two... Childress left. Why can't Rubio stay over there unless traded to a team where he can thrive...

Minnesota knew he had that option and drafted him anyway... And they can trade him to lots of teams that would want him and still end up being glad they picked him when they did... Personally, I think they picked him to trade him anyway... Otherwise, why pick another PG with their very next pick? And of the two of them Rubio has far more trade value.

And that Minnesota team is a total mess... Their two best players are PF's and then they draft two point guards... Ryan Gomes is their starting 3 and I think their 2 is Brewer... That team might not win 15 games next year.

dee
Clipper Starter
Posts: 334
votes: 4

it's good that minny's a mess. we have their pick next year and it is unprotected. i wonder if john wall will be available.

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 722
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

I thought it became unprotected after the 2010/2011 season?

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

I think we get it in 2011... I'm sure they'll still be a mess then...

Actually, that pick gives us a lot of leverage with them if we wanted Rubio... That pick could be a high first.... I think that pick, plus next years first (hopefully around 18 ) could get him. Minnesota is going with youth... And if Rubio's balking at going there, that could be enough to get him.

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 722
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

Hopefully they will be, and we will get a top pick. I was looking at an NBA draft website for potential 2010 prospects, and after John Wall there isn't much talent at the point guard position as of right now. I have no idea about 2011, but this draft was very strong on point guards, and I can't help feeling like we've missed out on a chance of getting one. Just think, we could have probably had Jrue Holiday or Ty Lawson for a lottery protected future 1st round pick and perhaps some filler...

If we don't make a strong attempt at getting Rubio, I will be disappointed. I think he's the perfect type of point guard for this team, and we have Baron, so we can afford to groom him for awhile.

sz123456
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2354
votes: 13

I know the Knicks are interested in Rubio, but they have nothing to offer. If we really wanted this deal to happen, we're in a good place to make it happen. Wolves don't want Jefferson at the 5 spot, Kaman fits the bill.

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

I think another team has to be involved. I did hear that they would have to Lee to land Rubio.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

elton_sucks42 wrote:
SamMays wrote:
Quote:

Baron Davis is one of the best 10 point guards in the world NOT usa .....THE WORLD

Not sure I agree with that, particularly if you're talking about the Baron Davis we saw last year.... Better than Baron... CP3, D. Williams, Nash, Bullups, Parker, Rondo, Miller, Bibby, Rose, Kidd, Mo Williams, Calderon, Harris, and then there's a bunch of guys who were just as good or better last year... Now, perhaps Baron will come back to being the Baron of old... Who knows? I do know that the Baron I saw last year was not only one of the worst point guards in the league, but was one of the league's worst players period.

I think it's entirely possible we are looking to grab Ricky, or someone else, primarily for the following reason. Baron proved to be uncoachable last season. He was lazy and out of shape. He didn't pass the ball, shot first rather than got shots for others, as a PG should do... In short, he was a disaster. And, worst of all, he quit in December... Dunleavy has to hate him. Probably can't trust him ever again. I'm sure Dunleavy would love to move him out if he can.

I would much prefer a pass-first PG... And, based on Baron's effort level last year, I will always disrespect him. Nothing is worse than a guy who quits when things are going bad... He's not the guy I'd want running this team if I were Dunleavy. So, I think anything is possible. Baron could be traded if Dunleavy can get value for him, or he could be back if he doesn't. In either case, we need a good PG as his backup because Baron 1. Misses a lot of games with injury 2. Needs to have someone behind him who can push him for minutes to keep him motivated 3. Have someone solid behind him to take his place in the event he brings last year's effort again.

I don't claim to know who that person could be. Hinrich, obviously... Of the rookies, I want a pass-first guy. Rubio fits that bill more than Flynn, who tends to be more a scoring PG... There is nobody in this draft, other than Blake, who is a can't miss player... Possibly Tyreke, since he can play 3 positions.

Not that I disagree with you but all your posts are disrespecting baron. I dont even have to look at the user name. I would just know that this was posted by sam. haha. I understand that Baron pissed you off last season. He pissed us all off. However, last season was just just no Baron. It was a combination of many things. ALso, there should be a caveat with the guy who posted that Baron Davis is one of the 10 players IN THE WORLD. That caveat is " When he is motivated".

Based on this offseason, it seems Baron is motivated. like it or not our success rides on Baron Davis. If he comes in motivated and leads this team and distributes and penetrates we will succeed. I guarantee it.

In defense of Sam Mays, Baron hasnt really earned much respect but actually earned disrespect. His actions spoke a lot louder than his words when he gave up and quit on the franchise. I seriously have not disliked a player and really been legitimately pissed like last year with Baron's play. The guys attitude was the worst i have ever seen. Because instead of saying, "yeah i am pissed and this situation is ridiculous" he tries to play it off as such a pity party and that he really gave it his all and the franchise brought him down. He owes the clippers a huge apology for wasting $13 million. At least when Arenas was out for the season he was rehabbing. Baron aint even injured and he plays like a lame duck with a horrible attitude!

Anyways i hope things change. If not i would much rather him be wiped completely from my clipper fanhood memory

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4061
votes: 55

^^^^ Yep... Exactly how I feel...

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Bill Simmons vs. Mike Dunleavy

→ Camby on Griffin

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!