Should we go after Allen Iverson?

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 15296
votes: 89

I know this is going to be met with mixed reviews because some of you will attack his past bad "character" decisions but what do you think about going for Iverson? He's been an MVP and a defensive all first team. He's just turned 34 but is still explosive and quick. Maybe sign him for like a 2 year deal and see how he does. I know half of you might say "We don't need anymore locker room cancers" but honestly Iverson isn't that bad. He got bashed for skipping a practice and coach battles with Larry Brown. In Detroit he was upset come playoff time because they said he's being benched the entire playoffs. I never understood why you bench one of your best players but i know it's probably because he was a bad fit with that team from the beginning. Either way... Iverson/BD,Gordon,Thornton,Zach(if he's here)/Blake Griffin, Kaman/Camby is the deepest team in the league.. especially when you add Mike Taylor and DJ. We would need to dump Zach or Baron to clear space. So let the debates begin lol!

(edit) I forgot the whole blowup in Detroit was because Iverson refused to come off the bench... so nevermind this post lol. We don't want a guy who would fight the coach because he isn't starting.. Even Zach isn't that bad probably.

ClipperNationRise
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1320
Location: Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, CA
rp.gif
votes: 5

haha before i saw your edit... thats the very first thing i thought off. He wont want to come off the bench.

"I would rather retire then come off the bench" -Allen Iverson

dee
Clipper Starter
Posts: 334
votes: 4

iverson doesn't want to come to the clippers. the pistons were threatening to trade him to the clippers last season, so he shaped up. (so the rumors report)

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

We don't have cap space for Iverson even if we wanted him... At this point in his career, he's become like Zach, an addition by subtraction guy... His teams get better after he leaves. I wouldn't want any part of him at any price.

Clipsfan21
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 208
votes: 2

Practice! Your talking about practice? Practice!

haha sorry couldn't resist iverson cracks me up but ya not the guy u want to bring in to lead ur team. Iverson is done man - the guy has no more fuel in the tank. Like him a lot back in the philly days though i must say.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

LOL Shaped up how, exactly? He voluntarily placed himself on the injured list down the stretch of the Pistons playoff hunt, choosing to sit out the post-season.

Iverson? No thank you.

clipptastic
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 19
votes: 2

We need a defensive stopper with LENGTH... not speed.

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

2 stars at the piont guard positon wouldn't work. Iverson is good but he is not a player to take a bench role. He is a better fit for a team whos has a rookie piont gaurd

dwb
Clipper Starter
Posts: 705
Location: Tallahassee
votes: 28

I love Iverson, but he makes it hard to do so. On the court, no doubt. Tough as nails, fearless, supremely confident. Off the court... not so much. Even on the court it always bothered me that in the MVP year he shot 42%. Still, the guy is a warrior. But not for us. And there is the possibility that those dynamic years are gone, so it might not be that easy for Iverson to find a team. When he was hot though... whew! A force of nature. 'Course the idea of bringing ANYBODY this side of Kobe or DWade to start in front of one of the stars in the new Clipper constellation is nearly unspeakable. Gordon may not become a transcendent star, that's a pretty unique thing and takes a rare drive and determination. He WILL be at least a very good player, I think we've already seen the beginnings of that. And that's a lot, I mean all-star caliber. Gordon is a Clipper mainstay for hopefully years to come. Unless he's replaced by one of those two (and even that would have questions) I expect to see Gordon manning the two spot well into our stretch of playoff runs.

Clipper-Josh
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2114
Location: Austin, TX
us.gif
votes: 12

For those of you that haven't seen this video.......I am sure it will answer all your questions of bringing him and to even play for us ........let alone come off the bench!!!

A.I. = Ricky Davis 5.0

puddnhead83
Clipper Starter
Posts: 659
Location: San Francisco
votes: 3

Iverson would not be a could choose. The Clippers need a veteran backup guard who will play defense. We all know that Iverson he is a bad defender.

Clipper-Josh
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2114
Location: Austin, TX
us.gif
votes: 12

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

Luv A.I. but he wouldn't fit on this team. We should'be taken him when Philly offered him to us for Livingston. I heard he might be forced into early retirement because nobody wants to pay him. We need at least 1 hard nosed perimeter defender we have enough scorers.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15881
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Not sure I would consider both these guys "addition by subtraction".

Randolph was part of the problem but by no means was he the cause of that jailblazers problems. By letting go Wells, Wallace, Stoudamire, Randolph, the coach, and keeping Miles benched and eventually gone, there was room for improvement. Oh, Lets not forget that Roy eventually changed the character of that team. Randolph was no where near the trouble that those other guys were while they were with the team. He was just the last piece to go. You can't blame him for that...it just seems every post you write is just a bash on Randolph, whether the topic is on him or not.

Anyway, Randolph's departure from NY didn't improve their team, either. When they traded him, the team was 5-4 which was the last game he played ( nov, 18th).

When he left, they went on to end the season at 27-54. That doesn't look to me like it is addition by subtraction. hardly.

And for the record, D'Antoni had just drafted Galanari who they hoped would replace either the SF or PF position. A new coach will make the changes to fit his style of play and since Randolph was playing out of position ( Center) most of the time, he was the obvious to go. I don't see it as dumping him, I see it as a move to fit a faster style of play. And lets not forget that Galanari was the coach's player that he hand picked.

Now for AI. When he left the Sixers ( asked to be let go), the Sixers didn't improve all that much. AI knew he didn't want to play there anymore since he didn't like the direction the team was headed. I will say that the 2 draft picks they received helped revitalize the team, along with Andre Miller. They did make the play-offs in the second year but they still went into the play-offs with a losing record. They haven't been to the play-offs with a winning record since AI was there ( 56-26). Don't see how that was an addition by subtraction. The Denver situation I would agree but by then, he wasn't the same player.

I do agree he isn't someone we want to go after, but I just think he is too old and not the right player for this team.

Clipper-Josh
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2114
Location: Austin, TX
us.gif
votes: 12

Has anyone had a chance to check out the link yet?

Freaking hilarious!!!

A.I. in a nutshell

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

When a player comes into the realm of "Traded for cap relief," that's pretty much an indication that he's done, or grossly overpaid for what he delivers... Of course, you're right about his Philadephia days, but that was four years ago and Iverson's talent was much more stunning than it is now. Denver unloaded AI and got much, much better.

I want solid citizens on this team. Team guys and Iverson has always been me-first... Larry Brown found a way to make it work for awhile in Philadelphia, mostly by putting together an amazing defense with Mutumbo in the middle and great defenders around him and then letting Iverson carry the offensive load and do pretty much what he desired... Even then Iverson complained. Denver tried to do the same thing without the defense and it didn't work... Imagine Iverson playing for Dunleavy.

As a side note, the Knicks improved by 9 games between 07-08 and 08-09... So they were a better team post Randolph... The first 9 games is too small a sample to judge it on... Hell, a couple years ago the Clippers for 5 - 0 enroute to about 27 wins... And Randolph has been arrested about 9 times in the last 10 years... He's the posterboy for the jailblazers. The only reason Randolph is let off the hook is that in person, he's often warm, fuzzy and likeable... He remains an immature child with minimal self-control, however...

Were I a GM, there is a list of players I wouldn't touch under any circumstances; Randolph, Baron, AI, Crawford, Francis, Marbury, Marion, Ricky Davis... All are talented... None are an asset on your roster given their price tag and attitude.

scuba6
Clipper Starter
Posts: 485
votes: 4

I absolutely love AI. He can score like the best of them. but honestly, his window is closing. He's not getting any younger. And if AI was to make a push, he's lost it. He had it in Philly when he was in the finals. That was his only chance. He will never step down from the spot light. He enjoys it too much.

IMO he needs to be on a team where he can be the star. But at this day and his age, unfortunatley it wont work. More athletic and younger guys coming into the league. Wasnt how it was back in 1996 when he was a rook shakin MJ at the top of the key. But when he was solo and was the star, he was successful. Holding a few scoring titles and along with coach Brown (to me is one of the greatest coaches to have) went to the finals.

So in closing. Nay on Ai coming to the LAC.

Pr00F
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 17
votes: 0

A player that thinks he's still worth $50+ mil is not worth playing for a team that's trying to rebuild.

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

forget iverson, lets do a sign and trade for artest

He can start and thorton can back him up

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15881
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

The knicks improved cause they didn't have Marbury & Thomas on that team anymore. With a new coach and Randolph still starting ( at center), they started off great. It wasn't till D'Antoni started to make changes that they reverted back to their old selves. 9 games is a small sample but comparing 2 different teams with different coaches & a different line-up isn't a good comparison. That is comparing apples & oranges.

The fact remains that with Randolph in that new line-up, they won more games than they lost. I bet had he stayed with NY, they would have ended up with a better record than they had. Small sample or not, that is a fact.

MrB
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2433

us.gif
votes: 18

Due to Iversons insistence on being a starter, we have no need for him. If he were to change his mind then I would consider it. As of now I doubt he will change his mind so I would consider it a big mistake.

GoClippersGo829
Clipper Starter
Posts: 296

us.gif
votes: 1

I agree with most post, AI is incredibly talented. He would be an ideal piece, back up SG 6th or 7th man. But their is no way we need another quitter on the team, if indeed he was healthy and chose to sit during the playoffs then i would never want to watch that player ever in a clipper uni.

To bad such a great player, he could still be an valuable piece but his unwillingness to be part of a set offense would bury us straight into the ground (Lottery) again. If he was a perfect solder i'd sign him in a heart beat. But No thanks

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

Two teams, Portland and the Knicks both dump Zach. The next year Portland improves by 11 games. The Knicks improve by 9... Both teams decide that an important part of their rebuilding effort means dumping a still young Zach, even though it means getting nothing more than cap relief in return... These are also facts.

Move forward 6 months after getting him, Dunleavy tries to unload him to Memphis in the same way. Pretty indicative that teams that have him for any period of time quickly see him as a problem, not an answer.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15881
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

^^ The ONLY reason we are thinking about trading Zach is because we have a NUMBER ONE draft pick that plays the same position. Do you really think that Zach would be on the trading block had we had the #2 pick? I think not. Don't mistake trading a player that would be too much to keep on the bench for a player that a team wants to dump. Paying 16 million to a bench player ( that shouldn't be on the bench to begin with) is unfair to the fans and the team. It's just a business decision that I think all parties might in the end, be happy with.

MrB
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2433

us.gif
votes: 18

I'd like to see Memphis up their proposal for Z-boat. It sounded like the Clipps wanted no part of Jaric in the deal. Once the major part of the free agency period is over, maybe the Clipps will get a more serious offer for him.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

Certainly, he wouldn't be on the block... And I suspect we'd be on course for another sub 30 win season.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15881
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Meh, I think a large part of this past dismal season was injuries and lack of chemistry. I am sure all of our players have a feel of what the others tendencies are. I think we should be fine if everyone is healthy and we don't make any moves.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Damn CJ, props on the new avatar!

I may have to change mine soon, depending on how things shake out..

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15881
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Thanks! I guess I am getting better at it. lol

This one only took me an hour to do whereas the others took about 2-3 hours each.

Let me know if you need another one. wink

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

This arguement makes no sense. That's like saying we'll win more games next year because we didn't resign Skinner and Aker back to the team. What kind of trouble did he get in in NY. With Zach NY would've made the playoffs the Knicks just didn't want to this season they're not gonna try to win either, they want a lottery pick and a whole lot of free money next off season.

sz123456
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2352
votes: 13

CJ that avatar is awesome! That would be a sweet wallpaper too. In other news, I would hate AI coming here. I wanted him back when we had the Livingston deal set up, but now it's too late, don't think much good can come of it

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

Sure... I'd be very content to go into next season with pretty much what we have, with one exception. I would want a first-rate backup PG (hopefully one who can also play the 2) behind Baron, to keep him motivated and to take his place if he isn't... I hope moving one of our bigs can accomplish that. I think that's necessary insurance for an unpredictable player... Also, part of the reason we were so bad last year was because we didn't have anyone to play at backup PG... Collins was acceptable for brief periods. Jones and Taylor, less so, though Taylor could be exciting at times.

I think next year we go as Baron goes... Playoffs are possible as is something much less. Again, that's why I'd want the insurance of a solid player there. So that if he goes down, or plays at last year's level, it's not so devastating to our chances.

Re: Zach or any player, one has to ask himself a simple question to determine worth...

Even if we had the # 2 pick, would you rather have Zach and no cap room, or no Zach and 16 million in cap room? In that scenario, I wouldn't mind having Zach and 9 million in cap room, which would be enough to get us involved in Turkeglu or a few other prominent free agents. Placing his worth, for me, at 7 or 8 million a year...

Same with AI, or anyone you consider bringing in...

Rockford
Posts: 568
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
us.gif
votes: 1

If we could move ZAch and free up cap space, I'd sign him for a small salary for a year to see what he can do. Why not? we cant get any worse people. And after Sessions got offered a qualifying offer form Milwaukee theres no more quality PG's out there for us.

Deoudes59
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 38
votes: 0

AI is tremendous, probably my favorite player growing up... but to put him on a team that is rebuilding (for any reason than strictly financial) would slow the growth of all the players im afraid. Sad

Clipperlifeeeeee
Posts: 37
votes: 0

iverson would never be a clipper .........nuff said

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

I think he had a whole year without getting arrested. He was impressive... His off-court issues are only part of why I think Zach isn't worth the money he gets, and in an era of salary cap, any player who's not worth the money he gets is more of a liability than an asset. At seven or eight million, he'd probably be worth having...

As far as my argument not making sense, I don't buy that... If a young player is dumped for cap relief twice (and almost a third time) it means something negative about the player. It means, other teams won't offer equal value because they don't want his contract. Also, look at the teams that have taken a shot at him... NY, on the bottom. Clippers, on the bottom. Memphis, on the bottom... The Lakers could have had him at any point, but they waited for a better opportunity and a better player and got Pau Gasol.

Perhaps when I say he's a liability, that's too strong however. Clearly, the guy has talent and at a lesser salary would be an asset to many teams.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Can we get that in writing please?

Clipperlifeeeeee
Posts: 37
votes: 0

journeyman wrote:
Clipperlifeeeeee wrote:
iverson would never be a clipper .........nuff said

Can we get that in writing please?

roll oh man

allen iverson is going to be in his 13 year in the nba...

every freaking interview with the man all he talks about is WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP

he has about 2-3 years left in the NBA maybe more if accepts a bench role...

AND YOU THINK HE WOULD WANT TO COME TO THE 19 WIN CLIPPERS?????????????????

its already in writing in your frontal lobe of your brain.....

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Are we talking about the same guy who said he'd rather retire than come of the bench?

The guy who hasn't been a positive factor for his team since the 6ers?

The guy who who quit on his team this season, literally and figuratively?

This is the guy we're supposedly missing out on?

Really?

Clipperlifeeeeee
Posts: 37
votes: 0

journeyman wrote:
Clipperlifeeeeee wrote:

he has about 2-3 years left in the NBA maybe more if accepts a bench role...

Are we talking about the same guy who said he'd rather retire than come of the bench?

The guy who hasn't been a positive factor for his team since the 6ers?

The guy who who quit on his team this season, literally and figuratively?

This is the guy we're supposedly missing out on?

Really?

hmmmmm i think we agree.......u probably meant " can we get that in writing cause i hate him too" huh....

but yea wouldnt want this guy.....lol and to think i was one of those fans yelling iverson..iverson at the staples center when 6ers were trying to trade him...

but bottom line......he will neverrrr be a clipper

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

I hate Andre Miller, but that doesn't mean I think he's a bad player.

On the other hand, I don't hate Iverson, I just think he's a bad player.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 15296
votes: 89

Most of what you guys are saying is true... but to call Iverson a bad defender??? HAHAHAH. He has been known as a lockdown defender throughout much of his career. I understand him being a bad fit and being at a big mental breakdown point in his career but don't forget he's a lock for the hall of fame.

* NCAA Big East Rookie Of The Year (1995)

* 2- NCAA Big East Defensive Player Of The Year (1995, 1996)

* NBA Rookie of the Year (1997)

* NBA All-Star Rookie Game Most Valuable Player (1997)

* 1997 NBA All-Rookie Team

* NBA Most Valuable Player (2001)

* 2- NBA All-Star Game MVP (2001, 2005)

* 3- All-NBA First Team

* 3- All-NBA Second Team

* 10- NBA All-Star

* 3- Steals leader (2001, 2002, 2003)

* 7- All-NBA selection

* 4- NBA scoring champion (1999, 2001, 2002, 2005)

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15296
votes: 89

Iverson's single biggest problem is he can ONLY thrive in a system that the offense revolves around him. Think about it. He went to Denver and Detroit, both had very bonded, team mentality players and he performed poorly for both. The only time he was dominant was when he was the only big time scorer and surrounded by a ton of role players with the Sixers. Even guys like Kobe, Tmac and Vince Carter have learned to play for the team and not always be the only scoring option. Why hasn't Iverson been able to adapt??? Those guys were my favorite players, especially Vince Carter. I mean think about it though.. all 4 of those guys in their early 30's yet AI still refuses to play team ball, evident by the "I would rather retire than come off the bench". I'm disappointed in his attitude but his game is legendary and revolutionized the league in some ways. Shaq and Tim Duncan have called him the best pound for pound player of all time.

ether
Clipper Starter
Posts: 849
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 11

As good a player as AI is, he brings ruin wherever he goes.

After his MVP year and the finals, Philly dropped back to insignificance. Denver never thrived with AI, but look at the opposite directions Denver and Detroit took when they traded him last years!

A definite "no thank you".

puddnhead83
Clipper Starter
Posts: 659
Location: San Francisco
votes: 3

Clippersfan86 wrote:
puddnhead83 wrote:
Iverson would not be a could choose. The Clippers need a veteran backup guard who will play defense. We all know that Iverson he is a bad defender.

Most of what you guys are saying is true... but to call Iverson a bad defender??? HAHAHAH. He has been known as a lockdown defender throughout much of his career. I understand him being a bad fit and being at a big mental breakdown point in his career but don't forget he's a lock for the hall of fame.

* NCAA Big East Rookie Of The Year (1995)

* 2- NCAA Big East Defensive Player Of The Year (1995, 1996)

* NBA Rookie of the Year (1997)

* NBA All-Star Rookie Game Most Valuable Player (1997)

* 1997 NBA All-Rookie Team

* NBA Most Valuable Player (2001)

* 2- NBA All-Star Game MVP (2001, 2005)

* 3- All-NBA First Team

* 3- All-NBA Second Team

* 10- NBA All-Star

* 3- Steals leader (2001, 2002, 2003)

* 7- All-NBA selection

* 4- NBA scoring champion (1999, 2001, 2002, 2005)

Iverson is not and has never been a lock down defender. Iverson lead the league in steals because he would gamble and jump into the passing lane to get the ball. By doing this he left his teammates at a disadvantage as they had to cover his man. More often than not the person Iverson is guarding would be left open for an easy shot. Calling Iverson a lock down defender now that is funny.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 15296
votes: 89

Did you watch him D up Kobe in the finals? Have you ever watched him period??? He has locked a lot of people down and when he hasn't it's because he's guarding guys 6-8 inches taller than him. 2 NCAA defensive player of the year in his conference and plenty of NBA playoff games would agree with me. Like i said previously.. did you ever actually watch him? If you did you would know he was a very good defender. I won't even get into the fact that he had the record for most steals in NBA history with 9. I think it's been broken now.. but i do remember the big news that it broke the record and he had 2 games with 9 steals. I don't care if you call that unimpressive claiming its only because he gambles in the passing lanes in which case I'd say you're wrong buddy. Leading the league in steals 3-4 times? Playing the passing lanes is part of great defense but he did a great job of sticking to his man as well. What defines defensive greatness? He sticks with his man and racks up a ton of steals yet isn't a great defender? He's guarding guys WAY bigger and if he can't block shots and they score.. that doesn't take anything away from him. I'm 5'11 (like Iverson) and had to guard a lot of guys that were 6'4-6'11 ish and i rarely blocked a shot.. but i stayed with them, stole the ball a lot and make them work for every shot.. in my book that's great defense.

Regardless we all agree though he's become a very bad player to add to any team despite his talent and legacy. The attitude is just terrible

infamous-one
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 40
votes: 0

Grant Hill is the answer for the Clippers problem....... Hill could come off the bench for Eric Gordon?? SG/SF IS WHAT WE NEED!!!!

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15296
votes: 89

Yea Hill would be a great addition to our team. Team player who still has a little left in the tank

infamous-one
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 40
votes: 0

Hill only made $1,976,400 in 2008/2009... he palyed in all 82 to games for Phoenix Suns... give Grant Hill a shot!!! THE CLIPPERS HAVE THE MONEY TO PICK HIM UP

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4018
votes: 53

Imagine Baron and AI on the same team... There aren't enough basketballs for the forced shots those two would throw up... Baron would only try harder to score more points so he could outshine AI and vice versa... They'd feed off each other in the worst way possible.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← With Zack not being in any of the trade rumors....

→ Zach Almost Traded to Memphis?

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!