So what do we go for now with Randolph outta here?

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Rockford
Posts: 568
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
us.gif
votes: 1
First I was reading the blog on ESPN about the potential Randolph trade and one person wrote - "LA fans love the Grizzs' GM, he's like Santa Claus!" That may be true. However now that Randolph is out of here this will potentially free up around 7 million dollars in cap space. I doubt ClippVille is going to be looking at Ramon Sessions ( Which truly, truly makes me sad, he'd be the last piece of the puzzle to make our bench look like this - Sessions, Q Rich, Camby or Kaman, Jordan ) giving us a more well rounded and talented bench. I....

Please log in to view the entire post.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4041
votes: 54

I don't think we need to be looking at one of the giants in free agency.... There will be a lot of guys out there and still only a handful of teams under the cap... There will be bargains to have... And by then we'll have a better sense of what out needs are? Is Griffin the real deal? Is Kaman going to get back to form? Is Thornton a keeper? Is Baron inspired? Is Jordan a potential starter? Will Taylor be more than energy off the bench? Because we haven't been successful, next season is about answering those questions and many of them could be answered.

We'll be in a very good spot next year to answer them...

Of course, if we hang onto our money until 2011, we can get Zach back.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

^^ well said!

EI_Nino_Jesus
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1016

us.gif
votes: 8

With Jordan working his butt off in drills and exercises this offseason I'd be VERY happy if his game flourished to that of a good game!, If he could become a defensive wall in our 2nd unit I'd be happy, heck if he could outplay Kaman to a T, id be happier

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

I say we keep our cap space for 2010.

Stay away from the MLE unless it's to a player for 1 year. I really like the Iverson idea if he's willing to be a third guard. He'd sure as hell put some extra butts in seats.

With the 7.3 million TPE I'd target someone like Korver or Ridnour, both are 2010 friendly. Utah could trade us a future 1st and Korver for the TPE and this would allow the Jazz to sign Milsap. Our team is now that much better this season and we are still ready for 2010.

Of course in 2010 we make courtesy calls to LeBron and Wade, but I think the more realistic shot could be Joe Johnson.

We could also go for broke this year and forget about 2010. We have a very valuable TPE and an expiring contract in Richardson.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

DAMN, the mavs just made a push for QROSS.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

The Mavs have supposedly agreed to terms with Gortat for the MLE, the Magic can match the offer however.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4041
votes: 54

Not so wild about Iverson... Over the last five years he's left his teams worse for the experience of having him. I also think him and Baron would be oil and water, both trying to dominate the game offensively, trying to outscore each other.

If it goes badly with him, and it could, we could go through all next season and still not know what players are keepers or not... For all his talent, he's not a guy I want... Particularly on a team that's trying to find its way... Maybe he'd be good on the Lakers or Spurs, who have secure leadership in place... But we don't need any more immature, me-first, veterans.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Artest supposedly just signed with the Lakers. Should we throw a MLE offer at Ariza?

We could really go for broke this year and say screw 2010. Try to sign Ariza for the MLE.

Use the 7.3 million TPE to bring in more talent.

Trade Q-Rich's expiring contract for someone better.

We could wait for 2010, but we could also go all out this year to make the team a lot better.

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 722
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

I would sure like to see us find a way to get Ramon Sessions, but I don't see it happening.

jClipper
Clipper Starter
Posts: 365
Location: 626.323 Area!
votes: 1

lets just sign Fred Jones back , since he can play the 1 and 2 position.

Save money for the 2010 F/A , and make some noise.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

i dont think sessions would want to sign with us if baron's around.

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

None of the websites say anything about artest making any verbal commitment to the lakers. Can I have a link plzzz

jClipper
Clipper Starter
Posts: 365
Location: 626.323 Area!
votes: 1

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/m ... w/11838893

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7264
votes: 80

 

i hope artest destroys that franchise. lets go ron!

sunnydrew3
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1569
Location: Irvine, CA
us.gif
votes: 5

ekker3 wrote:
jClipper wrote:
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/11838893

 

i hope artest destroys that franchise. lets go ron!

haha that was my thought. didnt ron and kobe hate each other a few months ago during the playoffs? Ron is crazy.

Also, Id personally take Ariza over Artest. Not sure why the lakers are picking Artest first before re-signing guys who already won and championship and have chemistry with the roster they have in place.

Latest on Ariza is that he has been talking to Houston today. Im guessing Cleveland ends up with someone too besides Shaq but not sure who that might be yet.

For us, I feel the best thing to do is wait a year until the 2010 offseason and make a move. No FA this year is worth the money or young enough and we arent a contender yet anyways. Let our young guys continue to get better and get a ton of playing time and then after this upcoming season we evaluate the roster and look at the amazing 2010 free agent crop and go after 1 or 2 guys that really put our roster over the top.

clipnasty
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1290

us.gif
votes: 14

Thats what i was thinking.

Apparently clips interested in Childress. http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/02/childress-in-play/?cxntfid=blogs _hawks

sunnydrew3
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1569
Location: Irvine, CA
us.gif
votes: 5

I would use our MLE this year on Childress I think but maybe not. Tough call for me. The 2010 cap space might be our best bet while we let our current roster improve and get experience.

dee
Clipper Starter
Posts: 334
votes: 4

hey guys,

apparenty ron artest will go to the lakers....scary

LAC_12
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2032
Location: West Coast
votes: 18

not really... i like that move.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Josh Childress? I would go beyond the MLE. He's worth a sign and trade. I'd give up a future draft pick and give him the Randolph exception (or swap him for and expiring contract). Why hold on to max space for the 2010 summer when Childress is the exact kind of glue guy this team needs. I think he could even be superior to Ariza if given the chance to start.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

sunnydrew3 wrote:
clipnasty wrote:
Thats what i was thinking.

Apparently clips interested in Childress. http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/02/childress-in-play/?cxntfid=blogs _hawks

I would use our MLE this year on Childress I think but maybe not. Tough call for me. The 2010 cap space might be our best bet while we let our current roster improve and get experience.

There are only 3 guys that I noticed that I would sign to a max contract in 2010. LeBron, Wade, and Joe Johnson. Is there anyone else out there that would be a huge upgrade to what we have?

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

I totally agree...

clipnasty
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1290

us.gif
votes: 14

If you guys look at that Hawks article i posted, they mentioned the trade exception we got and how a sign and trade would be perfect for the Hawks. They on top of it!

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

I like Marvin Williams as well. We could offer one of the Hawks SF's a MLE deal, if the Hawks match we then offer the other SF the same deal. I don't think there's any way the Hawks match both.

If we wanted I bet we could trade Camby for Nate Robinson. The Knicks get Camby who could help compete while not hurting their 2010 cap number. We'd get a third guard that could play with both Gordon and Baron.

I'm starting to think screw 2010. What are the real chances that we sign someone anyways.

clipnasty
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1290

us.gif
votes: 14

Marvin isnt a bad option. He has greatly improved his three point shooting and is a solid overall player.

As for NRob, i dont think we need any more shoot first guys on this team. With EG, Baron, Kaman, Al and potentially BG, we got plenty of offensive firepower...

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

Slim to none!

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

So does pretty much everyone agree that we should use all assets available right now to try and build a team?

We could easily make the team much better and deep by signing Childress with our MLE and then trading the TPE for Ridnour. We'd still have about 13 million to spend in 2010. We could also choose to move the expiring contracts of Q and Camby to make the team better as well.

Baron, Ridnour, Taylor

Gordon, Collins

Childress, Thornton, Q, Ricky

Griffin, Novak

Kaman, Camby, Jordan

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

^^ Not a bad idea but I would just do the Childress or even the Pargo move for now.

Clipsfan21
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 208
votes: 2

I agree Hooch..I mean why not this snag a SF who can start and a good back-up in ridnour

Then we'd really get to see what we are in need of come next year and draft a 1st rounder accordingly to what we need next year. In addition, i believe Thorton has the potential of being a 6th man of the year type of player.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Childress would be great, but we'd still need a backup PG unless your good to roll with only Taylor. Ridnour could be had for nothing more than the TPE and his contract is 2010 friendly.

If we're comfortable with Taylor we could sign someone like Bass to backup Griffin for a portion of the MLE and then try to work a sign and trade for Childress. Maybe a future 2nd and the TPE for Childress. This would also insure the Childress contract isn't matched.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

The Childress idea is getting better by the minute but doesn't he play the SG spot?

Icecoldclipper
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9467
votes: 20

SF

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4041
votes: 54

Oddly enough, I'm willing to leave this one to Dunleavy... In trading Zach he's undone one of the two really bad moves he made as GM (the other is drafting Korolev)... Everything else he's done has been rock solid.

KoreanClipper
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 101
votes: 4

Eff it, I'm throwing it out there: LeBron as a 2010-11 Clip? Only Griffin/Baron/Kaman/Gordon under contract next summer. Hmmm. - Bill Simmons

Imagine marketing and publicity in LA. New headlines would be, "LeBron vs Kobe for LA." Lebron Jerseys and Kobe Jerseys seen walking side to die, it would be an amazing scene. But it's wishful thinking for now..

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
 Avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

clipper*joe wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Childress would be great, but we'd still need a backup PG unless your good to roll with only Taylor. Ridnour could be had for nothing more than the TPE and his contract is 2010 friendly.

If we're comfortable with Taylor we could sign someone like Bass to backup Griffin for a portion of the MLE and then try to work a sign and trade for Childress. Maybe a future 2nd and the TPE for Childress. This would also insure the Childress contract isn't matched.

The Childress idea is getting better by the minute but doesn't he play the SG spot?

Childress came into the league as a shooting guard, but he plays both wing positions (in fact, I believe that was a necessity when he shared minutes with Williams/Smith.

Hooch, that is a great plan. Good chance of it working if Williams re-signs with the Hawks for a big deal. I still wouldn't mind handing over a future pick if it guaranteed Childress coming over (instead of waiting 2 weeks for them to possibly match).

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

Josh Childress #1 SG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/p ... yerId=2373

huh, must play both positions then....

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

journeyman wrote:
clipper*joe wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Childress would be great, but we'd still need a backup PG unless your good to roll with only Taylor. Ridnour could be had for nothing more than the TPE and his contract is 2010 friendly.

If we're comfortable with Taylor we could sign someone like Bass to backup Griffin for a portion of the MLE and then try to work a sign and trade for Childress. Maybe a future 2nd and the TPE for Childress. This would also insure the Childress contract isn't matched.

The Childress idea is getting better by the minute but doesn't he play the SG spot?

Childress came into the league as a shooting guard, but he plays both wing positions (in fact, I believe that was a necessity when he shared minutes with Williams/Smith.

Hooch, that is a great plan. Good chance of it working if Williams re-signs with the Hawks for a big deal. I still wouldn't mind handing over a future pick if it guaranteed Childress coming over (instead of waiting 2 weeks for them to possibly match).

Yeah, I thought so. Must be getting old, cause I only remember him playing the SG spot.

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

Childress plays PG, SG and SF, he is 6'8 with great ball handling skills, He is a pass first shoot second SG/SF more so, think more like Cedric Bozeman and Shaun Livingston point guard IQ, with a great offensive game

Hawks still have his rights, would need to trade for him.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
 Avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

clipper*joe wrote:
journeyman wrote:
clipper*joe wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Childress would be great, but we'd still need a backup PG unless your good to roll with only Taylor. Ridnour could be had for nothing more than the TPE and his contract is 2010 friendly.

If we're comfortable with Taylor we could sign someone like Bass to backup Griffin for a portion of the MLE and then try to work a sign and trade for Childress. Maybe a future 2nd and the TPE for Childress. This would also insure the Childress contract isn't matched.

The Childress idea is getting better by the minute but doesn't he play the SG spot?

Childress came into the league as a shooting guard, but he plays both wing positions (in fact, I believe that was a necessity when he shared minutes with Williams/Smith.

Hooch, that is a great plan. Good chance of it working if Williams re-signs with the Hawks for a big deal. I still wouldn't mind handing over a future pick if it guaranteed Childress coming over (instead of waiting 2 weeks for them to possibly match).

Yeah, I thought so. Must be getting old, cause I only remember him playing the SG spot.

Josh Smith also came into the league as a SG. Since then, he's turned into more of a SF/PF combo. Just a fun fact, FWIW.

@clipsfansincebirth

I would give up a pick for Childress. I think the Hawks would consider it.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15977
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 126

journeyman wrote:
clipper*joe wrote:
journeyman wrote:
clipper*joe wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Childress would be great, but we'd still need a backup PG unless your good to roll with only Taylor. Ridnour could be had for nothing more than the TPE and his contract is 2010 friendly.

If we're comfortable with Taylor we could sign someone like Bass to backup Griffin for a portion of the MLE and then try to work a sign and trade for Childress. Maybe a future 2nd and the TPE for Childress. This would also insure the Childress contract isn't matched.

The Childress idea is getting better by the minute but doesn't he play the SG spot?

Childress came into the league as a shooting guard, but he plays both wing positions (in fact, I believe that was a necessity when he shared minutes with Williams/Smith.

Hooch, that is a great plan. Good chance of it working if Williams re-signs with the Hawks for a big deal. I still wouldn't mind handing over a future pick if it guaranteed Childress coming over (instead of waiting 2 weeks for them to possibly match).

Yeah, I thought so. Must be getting old, cause I only remember him playing the SG spot.

Josh Smith also came into the league as a SG. Since then, he's turned into more of a SF/PF combo. Just a fun fact, FWIW.

@clipsfansincebirth

I would give up a pick for Childress. I think the Hawks would consider it.

there ya go, there is something else I didn't know. Embarassed

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 722
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

ekker3 wrote:
Cliptonyte wrote:
I would sure like to see us find a way to get Ramon Sessions, but I don't see it happening.

i dont think sessions would want to sign with us if baron's around.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I said, I don't see it happening.

It's nice to dream though wink

Rockford
Posts: 568
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
us.gif
votes: 1

ekker3 wrote:
jClipper wrote:
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/11838893

 

i hope artest destroys that franchise. lets go ron!

hahahaahahhaha

Icecoldclipper
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9467
votes: 20

clipper*joe wrote:
Icecoldclipper wrote:
SF

Josh Childress #1 SG

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/p ... yerId=2373

huh, must play both positions then....

Yup G/F combo. Did not know he played some PF though.

efingclippers
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 43
votes: 0

The Clippers have been struggling to fill the PG postition for ever. Sam brought us our best years especially when Livingston wasn't hurt. Getting BD should have had a similar affect, but was a great disapointment. Hopefully he and the team can turn it around. We have seen so many other teams fill this critical postion. The Clips have to address the position long term. Short term they could go after Shannon Brown who showed pretty good skills and plenty of athleticsm.

efingclippers
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 43
votes: 0

And we had a few good years when that guy, help me out - coach of the Celtics- was a pretty good PG. It was part of the Elgin Legacy that he couldn't pass over a big and the guards have been afterthoughts.

mj_shoefanatic
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2551
Location: Lob Angeles™
calif.gif
votes: 7

ramon sessions

end of discussion

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

Ramon Session already signed back with the Bucks and Childress won't come back next year. Won't he have to wait a year like Rubio if he leaves. I thought Childress also left for the money, he'd be great to fill the gap at SG and SF I just don't see it happening. If he did play PF it wasn't long or for more than one game he's just as skinny as Livingston. He's looking to get paid.

Rockford
Posts: 568
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
us.gif
votes: 1

Childress got paid what like 7 mill in Europe? He was offered I think 5 to play here. We can get him for 6 or 7. He just wants the money to come back and play here, and frankly he's worth every penny.

jtwinnaz
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Posts: 650

calif.gif
votes: 7

WE NEED TO GET CHILDRESS OR FERNANDEZ NOW!!!!!

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Clippers: Blake Griffin Ready to Work

→ ESPN ranks Clippers the worst sports franchise...

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!