Caron Butler Might Be Traded For Marcus Camby?!?

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Clipperdom
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 116
votes: 1
  

A league source said any deal involving McGrady probably won't get done until closer to the trade deadline. I also heard another rumor involving Butler and the Los Angeles Clippers, with the Wizards getting back Marcus Camby and his expiring contract. - Washington Post.

I love Caron, and we'd get an all-star. But would that mean Thorton Or Rasul Butler (...Who I reeeeally like his game) could be going somewhere else?

It seems like we'd have a log jam at SF. Butler Butler Thorton

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

This deal needs to be done yesterday. I love Camby and what he's brought to the team, but we could use a true SF that is starter quality. This would kill our cap space, but we'd regain our MLE come summertime. This would enable us to build a deeper team.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Link:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... atter.html

Couple things to keep in mind:

*Pure hearsay

*Caron's shooting percentages are lower than they have been in the last 6 years.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/caron_but ... stats.html

Technically, Thornton is shooting better. Caron is getting more rebounds, though Washington's front court isn't exactly loaded.

It's nonetheless an intriguing possibility.

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... atter.html

"I also heard another rumor involving Butler and the Los Angeles Clippers, with the Wizards getting back Marcus Camby and his expiring contract. Since no player on the team is untouchable, I was informed that Brendan Haywood, Nick Young or anyone else could be had right now, but the Wizards don't want to take back salary. The team is not hesitating in its attempts to toss a grenade on the roster. "

camby for butler eh...lets look at the pro's and con's

pros:

-we get an elite wingman (been an all-star) good defender and good shooting

-we get some good value from camby

-with butler, davis, kaman, gordon, and griffin, that would be a starting five that could beat any team (yeah i said it lakers)

cons:

-this is a big con, we pretty much loose more than half our cap space. (but do we really have a shot at rudy gay and them?)

-butler is injury-prone

-our training staff dosent help the fact that butlers injury prone. makes it actually worse

  • with a starting five like that, there has to be some sacrafices, but whose gonna be the one to make the safrifice?

  • if blake griffin isnt ready yet, oour front like becomes really thin (jordan isnt quite there yet, rhino fouls, and skinner is a third stringer.)

well, in my opinion, i wouldn't oppose either sides. if we get butler (who im a fan of), he could give us better defense than both butler and thornton, and better rebounding from both. but then again, we lose camby. i hate to part with camby, and i hate being the pessimist, but in a reality sense, i dont think the clippers are going to get one of the big free agents in the summer. most are gonna re-up with their teams, and others would probably choose other places other than clipperland because our FO is crap. it might be wise to just cash our chips in right now and trade for someone. we would even have a little left to pursue some good bench players to go with telfair and thornton.

on the other hand, butler is an injury prone player and he might just be ijured most of the time. also, if we keep our cap space, we could try to land a free agent, but im highly skeptical. we lose rebounding and blocks with camby, but more importantly, we lose camby lockerroom stability. also, we might have trouble with chemistry and i fear with butler, it might be TOO much offense, but i hope im wrong.

all in all, it depends if you want to take the risk of going after a free agent in the summer, or getting some good value in return at this moment. of course, with blake injured, we would probably have to go 2-3 weeks with thornton or smith as our starting pf.

if we got butler, our lineup would be like:

pg- Bdiddy/telfair/collins

sg- gordon/butler/davis/collins

Sf- butler/thornton/butler/ novak/collins

Pf- griffin/smith/thornton/jordan/skinner

C-kaman/jordan/skinner

theres alot of versatility there and the bench would be good with telfair, butler, thornton, smith, and jordan with thornton and butler the focal points of the bench.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2703

wz.gif
votes: 31

If you do this you wait until Blake is back for at least 3-5 games already so you can see if he has his legs and can pick up the slack at the PF.

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

but if we do that, butler might be gone by then

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

No way, I don't like this. We just get an old player who's locked in for like 3 years or something. I'd rather use the cap to sign a younger player. Damn we need marcus badly. He is one of the main pieces that holds this team together.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4034
votes: 54

Butler is one of the best SF in the game, probably every bit as good as Joe Johnson... Lebron and Wade are going to stay put and if we move Camby for him, we can then trade Thornton for a big...

Hell, we might even be able to get Camby back as a FA this summer.

david
Site Admin
Posts: 8509
votes: 42

I don't like this trade. We have good chemistry right now, and Camby is one of the main cogs of our machine. Caron Butler is a good player, but I don't think he will make the team better. If we're looking to make moves, we're better off waiting until after Blake comes back and see how he will fit in at SF/PF.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15899
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

^^ Yeah that. Plus, just like CT said, we are locked in for 3 years for a guy who looks like he has been slipping on a bad team.

ClipFit
Clipper Starter
Posts: 328

us.gif
votes: 2

one thing never mentioned in this thread is we'd bring in a high quality defender. Caron is a big body that can match up with many of the SF in the Western Conference.

Rasual came to the Clippers this year and we heard much about his defense, but I believe he's disappointed. He's not physically strong enough or talented enough to match up with Western Conference SFs. Caron brings that asset to this team.

Lastly, I'm HIGHLY biased in this as I'm a HUGE UConn fan and I've watch Butler for quite some time. Kid has gone from a crack dealer to a NBA class act. He's worked quite hard to change his image and really values being a good teammate (based on articles I've read). Best part of this deal, you know you are getting a guy who's going to give you 110% each game, the guy's nickname if "Tough-Juice" heavens sake!!!

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

butler's not that old. and he's comming off the book in two years. (this year and next). he's like 19 right now, so he'll be gone when he's like 30 or 31. thats around his prime right there. we could use the cap space to sign a young player, but what if theres no young players left? they might re-up with their teams or sign elsewhere. i jus think it would better to get a sure thing then to bank on this free agency thing. and about the free agency 10', about 20 teams are saving cap space for that year, and about 15 big name players are gonna be in it with about half re-upping with their team, so are you willing to take that risk? im not. plus, even with camby gone, we still have about 5 million in cap space i think? add that with our MLE, and we could get a deeper bench.

i love camby, i dont want to see him go, but i think this is the best offer for him. i also think he's a glue guy, but from a basketball standpoint, i htink butler would help this team so much more with his all-around game.

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

2 years joe (this and next year) . and i think all that contreversy has messed up that WHOLE team.

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

I really want to keep marcus, he is slowly becoming one of my favorites of the team. If they really want, they can have another expiring like ricky d and skinner and the rights to sofo and a 2014 first round pick for butler. They save a lot of money, and we keep camby. Either way if we get butler we will have no cap for max fa. So I'd just rather keep camby and get butler rather than just getting only butler.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2703

wz.gif
votes: 31

I'll tell you what I like better than this deal...Take advantage of the Nets situation. They'll move everyone but DHarris.

I'd give them Al for Courtney Lee + CDR.

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

^^^ I'd love to get cdr but I doubt they'd trade him.

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

^^ yeah thats not ever gonna happen. just cauuse the nets are willing to move everyone, dosent mean theyd give up their young talent for ntohing. they want equal value and i think that al thornton is even enought to get courtney lee alone.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2703

wz.gif
votes: 31

should have gotten him last year when he barely saw the floor. In his senior year at Memphis, especially in the tournament I thought he was the leader and best player of that team over Rose. The guy has every bit as much skill as Al and infinitely higher IQ. More importantly, he's a consistent overall player. Opposite of Al.

Courtney Lee would be a great backup SG.

I kind of doubt they'd do this too but they could look at it like Harris, Brook, and Al can be the nucleus of this huge rebuilding project they'll be undertaking starting this summer. From the outside looking in, Al has the better potential in comparison to CDR. I have watched Al play 200 games and know that the opposite is true.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2703

wz.gif
votes: 31

Probably lopsided you are right. But this would be young talent for young talent. CDR was a second rounder, I don't know where Lee was drafted but he's not a guy that you lean on, he's a compliment type player.

Al was a heralded prospect and was our #1 scoring option for a season and half. MD has gotten away with more lopsided trades in the past. This is not outside the realm of possibility. They're 3-33, I think when you're historically bad like that you get antsy to do moves, any moves.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Lisa Dillman tweeted that her Clippers source has already shot this rumor down

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

Thank god

Purpose
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 40

rp.gif
votes: 0

clipperstown wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Lisa Dillman tweeted that her Clippers source has already shot this rumor down

Thank god

Thank god indeed. Why shake things up when we finally strung together a couple of solid victories? Team chemistry is at an all time high, don't F it up!

Miquel
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1853
Location: Barcelona
sp.gif
votes: 16

It seems a good trade for us but the point here is that right now Thornton's value has dropped to the bottom and it would be difficult.

elton_sucks42
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2435
votes: 11

I would do this trade!

Izlix
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 209

us.gif
votes: 0

NO No NO!

camby is the player who hustles on the nights when no one is into the game.

we need that kind of a player!

trade anyone else but baron gordon and kaman for butler

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

Yeah. I like Butler a lot, but I wouldn't trade for him -- especially trade Camby for him -- until after Griffin comes back and we see what things look like at the PF position. Camby has been a pretty major contributor to the team so far and I would only trade him now for pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity. As good as Butler is, I don't think he quite rises to that level.

ClipperNationRise
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1320
Location: Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, CA
rp.gif
votes: 5

Camby+trade=NO Camby+ends career as Clipper=YES Smile that's how I feel.

illastrate
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1642

us.gif
votes: 13

Obviously is an upgrade over Thornton/Butler, but it's the 10M he is owed next season that makes me hesitate. Camby is really beasting right now. But of course if we end up with nothing in FA, then we need to go for him in the offseason.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Trading Camby now means we go into the offseason with the ability to resign players like Rasusl and Craig. It also means we get to use our MLE. These are things we need so we can add depth to the team. We can also use our TPE right now and take on a player with more than a year left on his contract.

Going into the offseason with cap space means we sign one good player(maybe only as good as Caron), but we lose the MLE and we lose the option to offer our own free agents more than the Vets minimum. I doubt Craig and Rasual sign for the minimum.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather make the deal now and have a great chance of having a deep team next year.

Icecoldclipper
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9461
votes: 20

It's two years and since he would only be with us one more season after this one he would become an asset as an expiring contract the following season. From a business stand point I can see why people would want this deal, from a a NBA side Butler would be a nice peice to add but at the same time if it's not broken don't fix it. I'm not saying the Clippers are at a point of perfection but right now depending on the next few games we shouldn't push our luck.

I myself would like to trade Camby for picks and prospects so we can have something to build on.

erupt107th
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 163
votes: 2

I like the trade. Caron plays both ends of the court which is very rare in the nba and he is an all-star caliber player.

Steady818
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1483
Location: North Hollywoooooood 818
am.gif
votes: 12

All the hustle and energy camby brings to this team is just to good to slap him in the face and send him to the wiz or nets

blasana
Clipper Starter
Posts: 472
votes: 2

I think it would be a bad mood trading for butler. Camby brings so much too our team both on and off the court. Plus we have no idea how Blake is going to look when he comes back/if he comes back. The team is finally starting to play well consistently, and we can't break it up. Camby and Kaman have developed a good chemistry. Making a move like this now is not smart. On top of that Rasual Butler is beginning to turn it around and finally hitting 3's

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7257
votes: 80

ZERO trades before the griffin experiment. we have no idea what the clippers are gonna be like with him. there's NO POINT in making trades right now.

n0b0dy
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 204
votes: 0

Right now, Camby (along with Baron) is the sould of our team. To me he is the epitome of the journey man.... working hard in every game... I would keep Camby at this point!!!

n0b0dy
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 204
votes: 0

Now this agree with!

MrB
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2433

us.gif
votes: 18

Couldn't have been said better.

BACON
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1367
Location: Palmdale Ca.
us.gif
votes: 5

Deal or no deal??? NO DEAL! Mad

jtwinnaz
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Posts: 647

calif.gif
votes: 7

i love camby a lot and think he makes our team jell on defense but i dont see how this is a bad trade for us.

caron is a huge upgrade on the offensive and defensive side of the ball at the wing.

with him ej and baron we would have the strongest backcourt in the league and have plenty of options at the offensive end.

camby doesnt do much of anything on offense but go for offensive boards after kaman shoots, but with caron, kaman will have more room to work the paint, meaning he will miss less shots.

when blake comes back, you can count on his rebounding as well as kamans and even dj can rebound.

in game, all we get from camby is rebounding and help defense.

blake can already do both and so can deandre.

caron might be injury prone, but so is camby and camby is old too.

by getting butler, we fill a need while only loosing a want (mentor).

and if you think we will get a big fa this off-season, that is a valid argument, but butler is better than most sf (our need) and camby wont be here next year if we sign a big fa anyways, so why not get something for him. we will be sending him back to the east coast (his family still lives there so i think he wouldnt mind)

this season, we may or may not make the playoffs, but we must build chemistry; the sooner the better

Jhay_Kidd#3
Posts: 245
votes: 1

No Way!!! This Would Be A Bad Trade!!! It's funny how many people here think soo highly of Caron Butler and at the same time disappointing that people here are even willing to spend our cap money for this summer on him!!! In my opinion i think that he's a little Overrated!!! I Love what Camby does for this team and I'd much rather keep Him than have Butler (In addition Camby always gives it his best in each and every game, he doesn't need the ball to be effective because he does all the dirty work that many players don't do)!!! Wake Up People we're talking about the 2010 Off-Season here!!! The BIGGEST Off-Season Ever with soo many Talented free agents all around!!! No Way We Screw This Up!!!

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

If we can sign LeBron or Wade in the offseason great. I really don't see this happening though. Getting Johson or Gay isn't worth losing out on Caron Butler and our depth next year.

Say we keep Camby next year and sign Johnson with our cap space. I don't see Camby signing for the vets minimum. I think Camby could easily bolt to the Lakers for a portion of the MLE. He'd then get to keep his family in town and he'd get to play for a championship.

Baron/Telfair

Gordon

Johnson/Thornton

Griffin

Kaman/Jordan

If we make the deal for Butler we most likely end up with a much deeper team. We have the chance to go over the cap to keep our expiring players and we get to keep our pick. We'd end up with a deeper team than we have this year. We'd also have the option of using the MLE to add to our core.

Baron/Telfair

Gordon/Rasual

Caron/Thornton

Griffin/Smith

Kaman/Jordan

I'll take the 2nd option every day of the week.

Jhay_Kidd#3
Posts: 245
votes: 1

^^^Your Options are kinda Foolish!!! LoL... How much exactly would you spend on Joe Johnson? (I believe if we sign Johnson, we will have some money left over to sign some of our free agents)... Anyways, Joe Johnson is a MUCH better player than Caron Butler!!! Are you kidding me Camby going to the Lakers? LOL!!! Lakers are Wayy Over there Salary Cap!!! We would have a better shot at resigning him Sir!!!

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

^^its not like all the free agents are gonna want to move. odds are, more than half are gonna stay with their team. LBJ and wade are a pipe dream at best. why would wade want to go to LA when he could go to chicago where its his hometown, and they have the next big thing in Drose? bosh would probably rather go to houseon (his hometown) or join up with wade or lebron to go for a championship. joe johnson has a pretty good situation in atlanta, and atlanta has a better roster than us plus, they holdhis bird rights. rudy gay is a restricted FA and i would be hesitant to pay him more that 10 million (he turned down 10 million from the grizz). ray allen wouldnt even dare to go near us cause he wants a championship. stoudemire, would want to either re-upp with the suns, or join wade or lebron, plus, we don't have a need for amare.

so when we're looking at the free agency of 10', what are we REALLY looking at? shaq? T-mac? inverson? jermaine o'neal? ginobli? boozer? all those guys are either injury prone, past their prime, or not a need to our team. we NEED an upgrade at the SF, and i think butler is good cause he has a good all around game. plus, if we trade for butler, we still have some cap space left over from the expiring contracts of rasual butler, smith, ricky, smith, skinner, novak, and rush. we also have our MLE. both are enough to deepen our bench. we could have thornton as our sixth man and get other role players to go with thornton and telfair.

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

thats what im trying to explain! Very Happy butler is a really good all-around player.

Jhay_Kidd#3
Posts: 245
votes: 1

rollingkiwi92 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
No Way!!! This Would Be A Bad Trade!!! It's funny how many people here think soo highly of Caron Butler and at the same time disappointing that people here are even willing to spend our cap money for this summer on him!!! In my opinion i think that he's a little Overrated!!! I Love what Camby does for this team and I'd much rather keep Him than have Butler (In addition Camby always gives it his best in each and every game, he doesn't need the ball to be effective because he does all the dirty work that many players don't do)!!! Wake Up People we're talking about the 2010 Off-Season here!!! The BIGGEST Off-Season Ever with soo many Talented free agents all around!!! No Way We Screw This Up!!!

^^its not like all the free agents are gonna want to move. odds are, more than half are gonna stay with their team. LBJ and wade are a pipe dream at best. why would wade want to go to LA when he could go to chicago where its his hometown, and they have the next big thing in Drose? bosh would probably rather go to houseon (his hometown) or join up with wade or lebron to go for a championship. joe johnson has a pretty good situation in atlanta, and atlanta has a better roster than us plus, they holdhis bird rights. rudy gay is a restricted FA and i would be hesitant to pay him more that 10 million (he turned down 10 million from the grizz). ray allen wouldnt even dare to go near us cause he wants a championship. stoudemire, would want to either re-upp with the suns, or join wade or lebron, plus, we don't have a need for amare.

so when we're looking at the free agency of 10', what are we REALLY looking at? shaq? T-mac? inverson? jermaine o'neal? ginobli? boozer? all those guys are either injury prone, past their prime, or not a need to our team. we NEED an upgrade at the SF, and i think butler is good cause he has a good all around game. plus, if we trade for butler, we still have some cap space left over from the expiring contracts of rasual butler, smith, ricky, smith, skinner, novak, and rush. we also have our MLE. both are enough to deepen our bench. we could have thornton as our sixth man and get other role players to go with thornton and telfair.

^^^ Hahahaha!!! so with what you're telling me is that we basically cleard up cap room for nothing right? because you're already assuming that we aren't capable of landing any of those guys!!! i mean back when Baron was a free agent nobody would've ever thought he would want to play for the Clips especially after our bad season that year but Guess what? He's playing for us and to top it off, Baron was Ballin that year!!! Dude with so many talented free agents this year it's better to at least try than to assume that nobody will wanna play here!!! (You can't change the fact that this is still Los Angeles and that his city is a bigger market than most!!!)

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Age: 37
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

I'm still trying to figure out why they are foolish.

We stand to have around 14 million to spend. Johnson's going to cost at least that. He turned down a great offer from the Hawks this year and we already know he likes cash. There are a ton of teams out there with money to spend so we'd most likely have to get into a bidding war with team like the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Hawks to name a few.

If we end up spending that 14 million on Johnson, we're done spending. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that our own players will have a cap hold and to sign Johnson we'd have to renounce their rights. By doing that we can no longer go over the cap to sign them. We'd have to sign guys that would play for the veterans minimum. We'd also have to trade our 1st round pick since that pick would have a cap hold of about 2 million. Our depth would suck.

Camby may not go to the Lakers, but it does make some sense to me. Camby would fit in very nicely with them. The Lakers are over the cap, but since they start over the cap they would have the MLE to spend. They would be in the same position as the Celtics are with Rasheed Wallace. They could offer him a two or three year deal for the MLE or a little less. The Lakers also have Farmar and Morrison coming off of the books so they will have money to spend. This would also enable to Camby to keep his family in town and we know he doesn't like moving around. Camby would also get to contend for a title.

Tell me again how this doesn't make sense.

Jhay_Kidd#3
Posts: 245
votes: 1

Hooch20 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
^^^Your Options are kinda Foolish!!! LoL... How much exactly would you spend on Joe Johnson? (I believe if we sign Johnson, we will have some money left over to sign some of our free agents)... Anyways, Joe Johnson is a MUCH better player than Caron Butler!!! Are you kidding me Camby going to the Lakers? LOL!!! Lakers are Wayy Over there Salary Cap!!! We would have a better shot at resigning him Sir!!!

I'm still trying to figure out why they are foolish.

We stand to have around 14 million to spend. Johnson's going to cost at least that. He turned down a great offer from the Hawks this year and we already know he likes cash. There are a ton of teams out there with money to spend so we'd most likely have to get into a bidding war with team like the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Hawks to name a few.

If we end up spending that 14 million on Johnson, we're done spending. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that our own players will have a cap hold and to sign Johnson we'd have to renounce their rights. By doing that we can no longer go over the cap to sign them. We'd have to sign guys that would play for the veterans minimum. We'd also have to trade our 1st round pick since that pick would have a cap hold of about 2 million. Our depth would suck.

Camby may not go to the Lakers, but it does make some sense to me. Camby would fit in very nicely with them. The Lakers are over the cap, but since they start over the cap they would have the MLE to spend. They would be in the same position as the Celtics are with Rasheed Wallace. They could offer him a two or three year deal for the MLE or a little less. The Lakers also have Farmar and Morrison coming off of the books so they will have money to spend. This would also enable to Camby to keep his family in town and we know he doesn't like moving around. Camby would also get to contend for a title.

Tell me again how this doesn't make sense.

First of all we aren't really sure of how much exactly we're going to have this off-season and if you do know please do tell... secondl, I don't think that the Laker will be looking for another big man this off-seeason, what they need is a point guard. (there front court rotation is already pretty solid)

rollingkiwi92
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 363
Location: philippines
votes: 3

Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
rollingkiwi92 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
No Way!!! This Would Be A Bad Trade!!! It's funny how many people here think soo highly of Caron Butler and at the same time disappointing that people here are even willing to spend our cap money for this summer on him!!! In my opinion i think that he's a little Overrated!!! I Love what Camby does for this team and I'd much rather keep Him than have Butler (In addition Camby always gives it his best in each and every game, he doesn't need the ball to be effective because he does all the dirty work that many players don't do)!!! Wake Up People we're talking about the 2010 Off-Season here!!! The BIGGEST Off-Season Ever with soo many Talented free agents all around!!! No Way We Screw This Up!!!

^^its not like all the free agents are gonna want to move. odds are, more than half are gonna stay with their team. LBJ and wade are a pipe dream at best. why would wade want to go to LA when he could go to chicago where its his hometown, and they have the next big thing in Drose? bosh would probably rather go to houseon (his hometown) or join up with wade or lebron to go for a championship. joe johnson has a pretty good situation in atlanta, and atlanta has a better roster than us plus, they holdhis bird rights. rudy gay is a restricted FA and i would be hesitant to pay him more that 10 million (he turned down 10 million from the grizz). ray allen wouldnt even dare to go near us cause he wants a championship. stoudemire, would want to either re-upp with the suns, or join wade or lebron, plus, we don't have a need for amare.

so when we're looking at the free agency of 10', what are we REALLY looking at? shaq? T-mac? inverson? jermaine o'neal? ginobli? boozer? all those guys are either injury prone, past their prime, or not a need to our team. we NEED an upgrade at the SF, and i think butler is good cause he has a good all around game. plus, if we trade for butler, we still have some cap space left over from the expiring contracts of rasual butler, smith, ricky, smith, skinner, novak, and rush. we also have our MLE. both are enough to deepen our bench. we could have thornton as our sixth man and get other role players to go with thornton and telfair.

^^^ Hahahaha!!! so with what you're telling me is that we basically cleard up cap room for nothing right? because you're already assuming that we aren't capable of landing any of those guys!!! i mean back when Baron was a free agent nobody ever thought he would want to play for the Clips especially after our bad season that year but Guess what? He's playing for us and to top it off, Baron was Balling that year!!! Dude with so many talented free agents this year it's better to at least try than to assume that nobody will wanna play here!!! (You can't change the fact that this is still Los Angeles)

just because its los angeles, dosent mean that players will go just like that (i snapped my fingers Very Happy). its true that baron signed with us, but if you look back at that time, the only two teams with cap space were memphis and us. baron even said his first choice was new york, but they didnt want to sign him to a milti-year deal. and if you look back at our fee agent history, baron is the best signing we EVER had. after baron, its cuttino mobley. even players when we re-signed didnt want to stay. odom bolted, darius miles bolted, when there was that offseason where maggette and brand were free agents, brand basically begged the clippers to not re-sign him. but we did, and he ended up bolting like 5 or 6 years later. the point im getting across is that although LA is a bit time place to play, players also look at our FO and see that its crap. our team has a history of losing and that affects players decision by ALOT.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Age: 37
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
^^^Your Options are kinda Foolish!!! LoL... How much exactly would you spend on Joe Johnson? (I believe if we sign Johnson, we will have some money left over to sign some of our free agents)... Anyways, Joe Johnson is a MUCH better player than Caron Butler!!! Are you kidding me Camby going to the Lakers? LOL!!! Lakers are Wayy Over there Salary Cap!!! We would have a better shot at resigning him Sir!!!

I'm still trying to figure out why they are foolish.

We stand to have around 14 million to spend. Johnson's going to cost at least that. He turned down a great offer from the Hawks this year and we already know he likes cash. There are a ton of teams out there with money to spend so we'd most likely have to get into a bidding war with team like the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Hawks to name a few.

If we end up spending that 14 million on Johnson, we're done spending. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that our own players will have a cap hold and to sign Johnson we'd have to renounce their rights. By doing that we can no longer go over the cap to sign them. We'd have to sign guys that would play for the veterans minimum. We'd also have to trade our 1st round pick since that pick would have a cap hold of about 2 million. Our depth would suck.

Camby may not go to the Lakers, but it does make some sense to me. Camby would fit in very nicely with them. The Lakers are over the cap, but since they start over the cap they would have the MLE to spend. They would be in the same position as the Celtics are with Rasheed Wallace. They could offer him a two or three year deal for the MLE or a little less. The Lakers also have Farmar and Morrison coming off of the books so they will have money to spend. This would also enable to Camby to keep his family in town and we know he doesn't like moving around. Camby would also get to contend for a title.

Tell me again how this doesn't make sense.

First of all we aren't really sure of how much exactly we're going to have this off-season and if you do know please do tell... secondl, I don't think that the Laker will be looking for another big man this off-seeason, what they need is a point guard. (there front court rotation is already pretty solid)

Regardless of what we have to spend it's still going to take most if not all of our money to sign a big name free agent.

They Lakers do need guard help, but I can easily see them trading for someone like Hinrich with the Farmar and Morrison expirings. I just see the Lakers and Camby being perfect fits for each other.

Jhay_Kidd#3
Posts: 245
votes: 1

rollingkiwi92 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
rollingkiwi92 wrote:
Jhay_Kidd#3 wrote:
No Way!!! This Would Be A Bad Trade!!! It's funny how many people here think soo highly of Caron Butler and at the same time disappointing that people here are even willing to spend our cap money for this summer on him!!! In my opinion i think that he's a little Overrated!!! I Love what Camby does for this team and I'd much rather keep Him than have Butler (In addition Camby always gives it his best in each and every game, he doesn't need the ball to be effective because he does all the dirty work that many players don't do)!!! Wake Up People we're talking about the 2010 Off-Season here!!! The BIGGEST Off-Season Ever with soo many Talented free agents all around!!! No Way We Screw This Up!!!

^^its not like all the free agents are gonna want to move. odds are, more than half are gonna stay with their team. LBJ and wade are a pipe dream at best. why would wade want to go to LA when he could go to chicago where its his hometown, and they have the next big thing in Drose? bosh would probably rather go to houseon (his hometown) or join up with wade or lebron to go for a championship. joe johnson has a pretty good situation in atlanta, and atlanta has a better roster than us plus, they holdhis bird rights. rudy gay is a restricted FA and i would be hesitant to pay him more that 10 million (he turned down 10 million from the grizz). ray allen wouldnt even dare to go near us cause he wants a championship. stoudemire, would want to either re-upp with the suns, or join wade or lebron, plus, we don't have a need for amare.

so when we're looking at the free agency of 10', what are we REALLY looking at? shaq? T-mac? inverson? jermaine o'neal? ginobli? boozer? all those guys are either injury prone, past their prime, or not a need to our team. we NEED an upgrade at the SF, and i think butler is good cause he has a good all around game. plus, if we trade for butler, we still have some cap space left over from the expiring contracts of rasual butler, smith, ricky, smith, skinner, novak, and rush. we also have our MLE. both are enough to deepen our bench. we could have thornton as our sixth man and get other role players to go with thornton and telfair.

^^^ Hahahaha!!! so with what you're telling me is that we basically cleard up cap room for nothing right? because you're already assuming that we aren't capable of landing any of those guys!!! i mean back when Baron was a free agent nobody ever thought he would want to play for the Clips especially after our bad season that year but Guess what? He's playing for us and to top it off, Baron was Balling that year!!! Dude with so many talented free agents this year it's better to at least try than to assume that nobody will wanna play here!!! (You can't change the fact that this is still Los Angeles)

just because its los angeles, dosent mean that players will go just like that (i snapped my fingers Very Happy). its true that baron signed with us, but if you look back at that time, the only two teams with cap space were memphis and us. baron even said his first choice was new york, but they didnt want to sign him to a milti-year deal. and if you look back at our fee agent history, baron is the best signing we EVER had. after baron, its cuttino mobley. even players when we re-signed didnt want to stay. odom bolted, darius miles bolted, when there was that offseason where maggette and brand were free agents, brand basically begged the clippers to not re-sign him. but we did, and he ended up bolting like 5 or 6 years later. the point im getting across is that although LA is a bit time place to play, players also look at our FO and see that its crap. our team has a history of losing and that affects players decision by ALOT.

Odom Sucks so i don't care. Miles was whatever... i can't really blame brand for leaving, he did his best for this team. Considering that Maggette was a fan favorite it sucks to say that the Clips never gave Maggette a chance to resign. Well if the Clips can finish up the season strong we can obviously have a better chance of landing a talented free agent this year. Plus we have a pretty Young Good Team to back that up!!!

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Blake Griffin on his Upcoming Surgery

→ Kevin Martin on the trading block

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!