Kevin Martin on the trading block

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

kevin martin is back from injury, and the kings have lost 3 in a row, do we offer Al thornton plus our 2 trade exemptions for him? Would the kings take him?

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

We can't combine the exceptions with players. He'd be a great two guard for us, but we really don't need one. He also pretty fragile and would you want to take the chance of playing him against bigger and stronger SF's?

I think I'd pass on him.

clipperAndrew
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1799
votes: 10

we need a small foward..like gerad wallace or like this up and comer kid lebron james i heard about Wink

cliptastic
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 244

us.gif
votes: 4

I would pass as well. Aside from not being able to combine players and trade exceptions, he is a pretty one dimensional player and from what I remember, has a pretty big contract. I would prefer a SF that can defend, move the ball, and hit the 3 consistently

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... Id=yj248tv

I saw this trade posted on another board and it really intrigued me. We basically trade 3 guys that play minutes for two guys that would account for just as many minutes. We'd have one of the best starting 5's in basketball and we could use the TPE to add a little more depth. Sure Jamison's contract is crazy in a few, but he's playing great right now. Teams are already willing to deal for him and I imagine teams will be willing as well next year or the year after if need be. Jamison could start at the PF spot this year and next if need be and he'd make a great 6th man if Blake comes back healthy next year.

To me this may be better than the 2010 gamble.

cliptastic
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 244

us.gif
votes: 4
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj248tv I saw this trade posted on another board and it really intrigued me. We basically trade 3 guys that play minutes for two guys that would account for just as many minutes. We'd have one of the best starting 5's in basketball and we could use the TPE to add a little more depth. Sure Jamison's contract is crazy in a few, but he's playing great right now. Teams are already willing to deal for him and I imagine teams will be willing as well next year or the year after if need be. Jamison could start at the PF....

Please log in to view the entire post.

Steady818
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1485
Location: North Hollywoooooood 818
am.gif
votes: 12
  1. He's too fragile he's a good score when he plays and could be a go to guy if he's healthy.

  2. Dunleavy already has enough haters I'm pretty sure he wouldn't consider this or give it a 2nd thought

too meny Ifs and when's with Kevin Martin in short I'd pass

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

I'd also pass on Martin. To me, he doesn't add any of the the things we're really missing.

clipps04
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3351
Location: Los Angeles
us.gif
votes: 17

Why would we need to rid ourselves off all that cap room for two pieces that are aging and one of whom doesn't fit our needs. I think you really underestimate how much the Clipper value all the cap room they've built up to. We can find pieces through FA whether that be a a big name FA or a few pieces that help solidify our needs. This team looks to be very close to reaching it full potential, just need to look for a replacement PG to follow after BD's decline and a SF.

I don't think they're going to drop out of the FA race without getting an amazing deal in return, ie. a pretty darn good, and young, SF and something else.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Age: 37
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

I really don't see us signing anyone better than we could get in that deal. Butler and Jamison could start at the forward spots right now and make us super competitive. Next year we start the same or Griffin if he's healthy. Jamison is putting up crazy numbers right now on most nights and I think Butler getting a change would do him wonders. Our starting lineup would be insane and we'd create mismatches all over the floor. All 5 of our guys could score at will and there's no way anyone could take the chance of doubling someone.

Come the off season I don't like our chances. I'm guessing that James, Johnson, Wade, and Gay all stay. I only see Bosh and Stoudemire leaving. I think Amare goes to New York and Bosh teams up with Wade in Miami. After that there aren't any pieces avialable that are better than Jamison and Butler.

If things don't work we just move these guys next year. Butler will be expiring and Jamison has takes already so I imagine he'll have them next year when his contract is a year shorter. Having cap space next year wouldn't be such a bad thing either. We'd have a ton of money with less teams to compete with for free agents.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
 Avatar
Posts: 7265
votes: 80
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj248tv I saw this trade posted on another board and it really intrigued me. We basically trade 3 guys that play minutes for two guys that would account for just as many minutes. We'd have one of the best starting 5's in basketball and we could use the TPE to add a little more depth. Sure Jamison's contract is crazy in a few, but he's playing great right now. Teams are already willing to deal for him and I imagine teams will be willing as well next year or the year after if need be. Jamison could start at the PF....

Please log in to view the entire post.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7265
votes: 80

another thing to keep in mind. sure 2010 is the year of the lebron sweepstakes.

BUT

i would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather prefer 2011, the year of the durant sweepstakes.

i worry that OKC's success with its young nucleus will sway him to stay - but then again, dont we have a pretty good young nucleus? in a larger market?

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

in regards to butler and jamison...

they're nice players, but some things about them bother me. first, they're aging. we're in somewhat of a rebuilding stage. griffins 20, gordon 21, deandre 21, and our older guys are baron(30) and kaman(27). adding butler(almost 30) and jamison(33) not only ages our team significantly, but eats up a lot of cap space and prevents us from adding any guys this summer. true, we probably won't get lebron or wade. but it's worth a shot, and if we don't get them, there are plenty of other players available to the point that giving up on all of them for 2 aging players isn't worth it.

also, in terms of their play, look how those 2 have fared together playing with gilbert, in the east...not too well. arenas plays a similar style to baron, so i dont think they'd play well together. jamison and butler are good players, but they're not what we need. they require a lot of shots and like an uptempo game, which they won't get playing with kaman as the focal point of the offense. also, defensively, they are lacking. butler is ok, but is on the decline, and jamison is notorious for not playing defense.

on a side note, one of the reasons this wizards team may be blown up is because they have been together too long and it just isn't working anymore. if any of the big 3 are traded, i doubt any of them will be sent together in a package.

scuba6
Clipper Starter
Posts: 485
votes: 4

Caron and Jamison are both great players but like seanrooks stated, they are aging and arent great fits for our team. We are in somewhat of a rebuild/compete stage. We have pieces to compete and we also have alot of young players were building this franchise around. I'd love to shoot for LBJ and we are definately in search of a SF we can depend on. But lets not cancel out the thought of JJ. I know alot think he's the most realistic and I agree. Silent, great shooter, can dribble and create for himself and others, has a good head on his shoulders. He would be great at the SF and some back up minutes for the SG position. I just hope we dont rush into a trade that comes along and we take our time. We are basically in the driver seat with alot cap spaces, great roster that alot of players would consider player/title contenders. I just want whats best for the Clippers.

About Kevin Martin...Ill Pass.. HAHA!

lakerh8r
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 502

calif.gif
votes: 3

The tricky thing about this franchise is that it's at a crossroad. On one hand we have a core of youth with Thornton, Gordon, Griffin, and Jordan. On the other hand we have veterans like Camby, Davis, and Kaman. It is natural that each of them will play at a different level because they are at different stages in their career. Kaman is at the top of his game, and will probably be so for the next two years. Baron Davis reached his pinnacle with Golden State (and despite some positive streaks this year he is on the decline). Camby is somewhat of an oddity, he is playing remarkably well. But this along with a young group of guys will probably not amount to a championship.

We either have to acquire some veteran players to add to the group of Davis, Camby and Kaman, or build around our young guys (my vote goes for this approach-see OKC as a prime example of this approach). Either way the organization needs to make a clear choice and go in one direction, and I know many of you will disagree with me on this point, but we are not going to the promised land with this mix.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Age: 37
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

lakerh8r wrote:
scuba6 wrote:
Caron and Jamison are both great players but like seanrooks stated, they are aging and arent great fits for our team. We are in somewhat of a rebuild/compete stage. We have pieces to compete and we also have alot of young players were building this franchise around. I'd love to shoot for LBJ and we are definately in search of a SF we can depend on. But lets not cancel out the thought of JJ. I know alot think he's the most realistic and I agree. Silent, great shooter, can dribble and create for himself and others, has a good head on his shoulders. He would be great at the SF and some back up minutes for the SG position. I just hope we dont rush into a trade that comes along and we take our time. We are basically in the driver seat with alot cap spaces, great roster that alot of players would consider player/title contenders. I just want whats best for the Clippers.

About Kevin Martin...Ill Pass.. HAHA!

The tricky thing about this franchise is that it's at a crossroad. On one hand we have a core of youth with Thornton, Gordon, Griffin, and Jordan. On the other hand we have veterans like Camby, Davis, and Kaman. It is natural that each of them will play at a different level because they are at different stages in their career. Kaman is at the top of his game, and will probably be so for the next two years. Baron Davis reached his pinnacle with Golden State (and despite some positive streaks this year he is on the decline). Camby is somewhat of an oddity, he is playing remarkably well. But this along with a young group of guys will probably not amount to a championship.

We either have to acquire some veteran players to add to the group of Davis, Camby and Kaman, or build around our young guys (my vote goes for this approach-see OKC as a prime example of this approach). Either way the organization needs to make a clear choice and go in one direction, and I know many of you will disagree with me on this point, but we are not going to the promised land with this mix.

I'll agree 100% on this. We just need to decide what's we're doing. Right now we're just stuck in no mans land. We've got some great young pieces to go along with nice veteran talent.

If you would have told me to start the season we'd never have Blake and have the record we do I'd be happy. The thing is that after watching this group play you realize they should have a better record.

The problem is this team's built on a bunch of reaction moves. We made a series of moves to counter bad things that have happened to us. I'd like the team to decide what they are doing. On paper we've got a bunch of players that would be great on other teams. The problem is when they're put together they just don't mesh.

Sure we may land someone in free agency, but I seriously doubt it. If we do land someone that's going to be great, but we're going to lose any depth that we have. The only guys I'm willing to do that for are Wade and James. Everyone else, I'd prefer to make a move now and keep us at the cap so we can retain our pieces.

ShamsyClip
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 3
votes: 0

if we land John Wall we land LBJ

MannyA
Clipper Starter
Posts: 371

us.gif
votes: 5

Kevin Martin + Jason Powell + Clipper curse = CAREER ENDING INJURY!

No thanks on Kevin Martin!

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

Hooch20 wrote:
lakerh8r wrote:
scuba6 wrote:
Caron and Jamison are both great players but like seanrooks stated, they are aging and arent great fits for our team. We are in somewhat of a rebuild/compete stage. We have pieces to compete and we also have alot of young players were building this franchise around. I'd love to shoot for LBJ and we are definately in search of a SF we can depend on. But lets not cancel out the thought of JJ. I know alot think he's the most realistic and I agree. Silent, great shooter, can dribble and create for himself and others, has a good head on his shoulders. He would be great at the SF and some back up minutes for the SG position. I just hope we dont rush into a trade that comes along and we take our time. We are basically in the driver seat with alot cap spaces, great roster that alot of players would consider player/title contenders. I just want whats best for the Clippers.

About Kevin Martin...Ill Pass.. HAHA!

The tricky thing about this franchise is that it's at a crossroad. On one hand we have a core of youth with Thornton, Gordon, Griffin, and Jordan. On the other hand we have veterans like Camby, Davis, and Kaman. It is natural that each of them will play at a different level because they are at different stages in their career. Kaman is at the top of his game, and will probably be so for the next two years. Baron Davis reached his pinnacle with Golden State (and despite some positive streaks this year he is on the decline). Camby is somewhat of an oddity, he is playing remarkably well. But this along with a young group of guys will probably not amount to a championship.

We either have to acquire some veteran players to add to the group of Davis, Camby and Kaman, or build around our young guys (my vote goes for this approach-see OKC as a prime example of this approach). Either way the organization needs to make a clear choice and go in one direction, and I know many of you will disagree with me on this point, but we are not going to the promised land with this mix.

I'll agree 100% on this. We just need to decide what's we're doing. Right now we're just stuck in no mans land. We've got some great young pieces to go along with nice veteran talent.

If you would have told me to start the season we'd never have Blake and have the record we do I'd be happy. The thing is that after watching this group play you realize they should have a better record.

The problem is this team's built on a bunch of reaction moves. We made a series of moves to counter bad things that have happened to us. I'd like the team to decide what they are doing. On paper we've got a bunch of players that would be great on other teams. The problem is when they're put together they just don't mesh.

Sure we may land someone in free agency, but I seriously doubt it. If we do land someone that's going to be great, but we're going to lose any depth that we have. The only guys I'm willing to do that for are Wade and James. Everyone else, I'd prefer to make a move now and keep us at the cap so we can retain our pieces.

Unfortunately, the question about what direction the team goes in is made more complicated by the fact our GM is also our coach. Dun the coach probably feels a lot of pressure to win now and, consequently, may not be willing to make moves as a GM that are good for the long term but may result in more losses right now. That attitude may change somewhat if we're clearly out of playoff contention after this next long road trip, which is a definite possibility. But as long as we're mathematically in contention for the 8th seed, I don't see Dun doing anything major as GM.

BINGO!
Clipper Starter
Posts: 438

es.gif
votes: 3

no pass on martin and would like to keep the team they way it is.... we have gotten better as a team and we can obviously see a difference.....32 assist vs. the nets Smile

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

one of the most injury prone athletes known to man kind, i pass.

ether
Clipper Starter
Posts: 849
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 11

John Wall would be an extreme longshot.

But remember, LAC has Minny's 1st round pick in either 2011 or 2012. This could possibly be a very high pick. So we'll have some extra youth coming on board regardless of our record ... just in time to begin transition from an aging Baron (or a Jamison/C.Butler in the other scenario).

jcdigital
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1776

us.gif
votes: 15

^ agreed but look at many of the teams that are in the lottery for sure and the majority of them all have young up and coming point guards so i think that #1 draft pick might be on the trading block!

G-Man04
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 138
votes: 7

I agree that K-Mart is not a good fit for this club.

But since some of you are throwing around trade ideas, how about Andre Iguodala for Camby/Rush or Camby/R.Davis? I read a few days ago that Philly and Houston were talking about T-Mac for Iguodala/Dalembert and that Philly was possibly looking to dump salary. Iguodala's numbers compare very favorably with Caron Butlers and he is 4 yrs younger (only 25). He is supremely athletic and considered by some to be a "lock-down" defender. Plus, he is also a very underrated passer and gets nearly 6 assists per game.

He is halfway through the second year of a 6/80mil contract so that is a concern. But if you don't think we can sign one of the big F/A's next year then this might not be a bad deal. I haven't done the math to see how much money that leaves us to spend next year, but I could see possibly bringing Camby back to split PF/C minutes with Griff/Kaman.

We get our SF while getting younger, more athletic and better defensively. I would definitely do this over K-Mart. What do you guys think?

Musy101
Clipper Starter
Posts: 297
votes: 0

I'm not sure about matching contracts and stuff, but would Mike Dunleavy Jr. be a good fit? 3 point shooting, playing with his dad and all.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

definitely one of the better trade suggestions i've heard, if it's true that philadelphia would swing something like that. but i don't think the clippers would do it because a)with griffin out, they don't want to trade camby unless they get something ridiculously good for him(which iggy may or may not be) and b)they want to be players in free agency this summer. this trade could work, but if i were the front office i'd be hesitant to pull the triger if this were offered.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

a GREAT fit. mathematically, 2 negatives cancel out. thus 2 dunleavys should cancel each other out. the best way to get rid of dunleavy sr is to bring in his son!

ah, if only, if only, the woodpecker cries...

MannyA
Clipper Starter
Posts: 371

us.gif
votes: 5

Andre Igoudala would be great, but Philly ain't giving him up by himself for expirings. They want to use him to unload one of their other contracts

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

Camby, Rasual, and Ricky for Igoudala and Kapono work. They'd want us to take on Dalembert, but there's no way we take that on. We could use a shooter like Kapono and his contract expires next year.

Philly gets players that can help them this year and they save about 19 million next year.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4062
votes: 55

Iguadala is owed 14, 15, 16 then 17 million... He's a nice player, but not worth nearly what he's being paid... No thanks... When you think that Ariza is making 5.5, there's no question who is worth the money... With the new cap structure, there will be bargains out there. We don't need a burden... If he were worth what he's getting paid Philly would have to be better than they are.

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

As much as I like Camby on the Clippers, I like that deal. Iggy would be a big improvement over what we have at SF right now and Kapono is one of the best 3 point shooters there is.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

ClipfanSince88 wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Camby, Rasual, and Ricky for Igoudala and Kapono work. They'd want us to take on Dalembert, but there's no way we take that on. We could use a shooter like Kapono and his contract expires next year.

Philly gets players that can help them this year and they save about 19 million next year.

As much as I like Camby on the Clippers, I like that deal. Iggy would be a big improvement over what we have at SF right now and Kapono is one of the best 3 point shooters there is.

Both teams could also try to find a 3rd team for Camby so the Sixers get a young piece or draft pick in the deal.

BACON
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1367
Location: Palmdale Ca.
us.gif
votes: 5

No thanks... Confused

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

Hooch20 wrote:
ClipfanSince88 wrote:
Hooch20 wrote:
Camby, Rasual, and Ricky for Igoudala and Kapono work. They'd want us to take on Dalembert, but there's no way we take that on. We could use a shooter like Kapono and his contract expires next year.

Philly gets players that can help them this year and they save about 19 million next year.

As much as I like Camby on the Clippers, I like that deal. Iggy would be a big improvement over what we have at SF right now and Kapono is one of the best 3 point shooters there is.

Both teams could also try to find a 3rd team for Camby so the Sixers get a young piece or draft pick in the deal.

Makes a lot of sense, but I just don't think Dun is going to part with Camby as long as we're theoretically in playoff contention. That may be a non-issue two weeks from now though.

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Age: 37
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

I agree. I don't think the team makes a move and if they do it'll be something minor.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Caron Butler Might Be Traded For Marcus Camby?!?

→ camby rumors pt.2???

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!