Rumors: Clippers targeting LeBron, Gay

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
LAWLERSLAW
Clipper D-League Pickup
 Avatar
Posts: 48
votes: 1
 

Anybody a espn insider to post the article? thanks

Ricky
Clipper Starter
 Avatar
Posts: 712
votes: 7

Nothing new.

"With the moves they made at the trade deadline, the Clippers will now be far enough under the salary cap to sign a max-salary free agent this summer.

And with Baron Davis and Eric Gordon holding down the backcourt, and Chris Kaman and Blake Griffin up front, the Clippers have an opening for a swingman at the three.

So who are some potential targets?

Well, LeBron James is the obvious top choice, but it might also be the most unrealistic one. From there, Rudy Gay could be another potential get. A max contract might be a little much to give Gay, but if the Clips give him enough, it's unlikely the Grizzlies match the number, as Gay is a restricted free agent this summer.

Beyond these two, things get a little bit more murky. Guys like Joe Johnson and Dwyane Wade could be available, but they might not fit as well into the lineup.

Also, don't forget: Marcus Camby, whom the team traded to the Blazers at the deadline, will be available in free agency, and he could make a return trip to the Clippers."

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

i disagree with this, if we offer Rudy a max contract, i dont think the grizzlies would match because they failed the extension agreements. So if we over rudy 12, they wont match

ClipThemOff
Clipper Starter
Posts: 933

us.gif
votes: 1

everything changes if Outlaw winds up being a great sf and wants to return

but i think Gay or Johnson is the target here

Hooch20
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2397
Location: Santa Barbara
calif.gif
votes: 15

The best scenario for me is a sign and trade for Gay. We resign Smith and Butler then move Outlaw and Blake for Gay. I'm loving Blake right now, but you can't pass up Gay for a backup PG. Memphis needs a PG in the worst way and doing this deal gives them their starting SF and PG for the same price they would have to pay Gay.

Trinidad
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 246
Location: The OC, Santa Ana
votes: 1

Just an FYI most of the "ESPN insider" rumors are just links to articles from various publications.

Gay turned down an extension at 10 mill from the Grizz, I really just don't see him being worth more than that, for me it's Lebron or bust, and if it's bust then we are in great financial flexibility to choose from a pool of good players for a bargain, just not the max contract type star players, hopefully it works out for the best.

MannyA
Clipper Starter
Posts: 371

us.gif
votes: 5

Yeah, Gay would be nice, but $12 million per year sounds like a lot.

jcdigital
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1776

us.gif
votes: 15

I would not give Gay anything over 10 idk if he's even worth 10 cuz i mean although he is a great scorer, he is very lax on defense...in addition there are only maybe a handful of games where he decided he could actually lead his team to a win....i dont think he is quite the leader/clutch player we actually need. <----meaning being a go to guy to get you points in the 4th quarter and get defensive stops

LAWLERSLAW
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 48
votes: 1

Trinidad wrote:
LAWLERSLAW wrote:
Anybody a espn insider to post the article? thanks

Just an FYI most of the "ESPN insider" rumors are just links to articles from various publications.

Gay turned down an extension at 10 mill from the Grizz, I really just don't see him being worth more than that, for me it's Lebron or bust, and if it's bust then we are in great financial flexibility to choose from a pool of good players for a bargain, just not the max contract type star players, hopefully it works out for the best.

Thanks for the heads up.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4073
votes: 55


Repped High Quality Post

The only way I would want to spend the money on Gay is if Baron were going... Perhaps Baron and a #1 for Gay and Conley in a sign and trade... Their owner seems to like bright shiney objects... Iverson and Randolph... Perhaps he'll want Baron too.

We would have Gay and be in great shape for the future with the aging Baron gone, a promising PG in Conley and Blake if that promise doesn't arrive... We would also have Minny's first pick to grab a PG later too.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

I would deffinitely be fine with that trade and maybe memphis would even go for it. Definitely sounds intriguing.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

strike
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 47
votes: 0

I don't see gay's style as a "go to" guy

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

At the beginning of this season, I would have agreed with you, but the season Memphis is having is giving me at least some reason to re-think the matter. I thought that having Gay, Mayo and Randolph all in the starting line-up would make Memphis a total train wreck this season, since they all are reputed me-first guys. But they're obviously coexisting because Memphis still is in the playoff race -- no small achievement in the West. So, maybe Gay is a capable of being a team guy, who picks his spots when to try and get his. Still, I wouldn't break the bank for him.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

I'd rather keep Outlaw/Blake/Butler than renounce them for Rudy Gay.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

saw that coming from a mile away:)

funny when you say he is a chucker because he is shooting such a high % and really i dont view him as a chemistry killer because he takes smarter shots then say a Thornton.

cliptastic
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 246

us.gif
votes: 4

I'd pass on Gay. Yeah he gets his points but I think he's not what we need and we'd have to pay too much for him. I say we make our pitch to LeBron and if he turns us down, we find a good affordable SF thats actually worth his salary whether that be FA or through trade. Remember with so much cap room we don't always have to sign someone but we can just trade for them. I say we try LeBron, then JJ, then explore trade ( Prince anyone?). That way we may just have some cap room to keep some of the guys from this year and find some FA bargains.

clipboard
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1333

calif.gif
votes: 4


Repped High Quality Post

We've now got to get in the playoffs and beat the CAVS in the final so Lebron won't want to stay, Hey?

Turtle
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 151
votes: 0

there is no way Sterling will pay 10-12 million for Gay. It's not gonna happen. Gay will not sell tickets, merchandise, etc.........So it's Bron or just resign our own players.

clippersforlife100
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1671
votes: 0

yea rudy gay is a ball hog and thats the last thing the clippers want. i just cant see rudy gay and eric gordon in the same line up. as far as lebron goes, ofcourse i would LOVE to have him but i just dont see it happening.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

ClipfanSince88 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

At the beginning of this season, I would have agreed with you, but the season Memphis is having is giving me at least some reason to re-think the matter. I thought that having Gay, Mayo and Randolph all in the starting line-up would make Memphis a total train wreck this season, since they all are reputed me-first guys. But they're obviously coexisting because Memphis still is in the playoff race -- no small achievement in the West. So, maybe Gay is a capable of being a team guy, who picks his spots when to try and get his. Still, I wouldn't break the bank for him.

memphis is only a couple games better than us, and we've been a trainwreck. they looked decent earlier in the year but they've won 3 of their last 10. he's not exactly a flat-out winning factor.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

clipperboy24 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

saw that coming from a mile away:)

funny when you say he is a chucker because he is shooting such a high % and really i dont view him as a chemistry killer because he takes smarter shots then say a Thornton.

taking smarter shots than al thornton is like saying he's a better free throw shooter than deandre.

mj_shoefanatic
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2563
Location: Lob Angeles™
calif.gif
votes: 7

Gay should be our last resort if Lebron, Wade or Joe pass us up.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

ekker3 wrote:
clipperboy24 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

saw that coming from a mile away:)

funny when you say he is a chucker because he is shooting such a high % and really i dont view him as a chemistry killer because he takes smarter shots then say a Thornton.

taking smarter shots than al thornton is like saying he's a better free throw shooter than deandre.

i meant it more in anticipation of someone bringing u that al thornton had a high shooting %.

Gay is definitely not top of the list but i think he could fit in well

Miquel
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1853
Location: Barcelona
sp.gif
votes: 16

ekker3 wrote:
ClipfanSince88 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

At the beginning of this season, I would have agreed with you, but the season Memphis is having is giving me at least some reason to re-think the matter. I thought that having Gay, Mayo and Randolph all in the starting line-up would make Memphis a total train wreck this season, since they all are reputed me-first guys. But they're obviously coexisting because Memphis still is in the playoff race -- no small achievement in the West. So, maybe Gay is a capable of being a team guy, who picks his spots when to try and get his. Still, I wouldn't break the bank for him.

memphis is only a couple games better than us, and we've been a trainwreck. they looked decent earlier in the year but they've won 3 of their last 10. he's not exactly a flat-out winning factor.

As usually I agree with you. The point here is that we are looking for a LEADER. We are not looking for a great scorer but a LEADER. And for me it's pretty obvious Ga.y is NOT a LEADER since he's one of the guys who chooses himself over the team interests. IMO obviously Lebron would fit in this role but players like Joe Johnson could fill this gap really well too.

clipps04
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3351
Location: Los Angeles
us.gif
votes: 17

a million times yes!

Who would want to pay Gay that much money, honesty. He doesn't bring the skills that warrant that kind of money.

ToneE
Clipper Starter
Posts: 332
votes: 1

do we have any picks owed to us????

LAC_12
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2032
Location: West Coast
votes: 18

ekker3 wrote:
clipperboy24 wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
i just dont see a chucker like rudy gay ever helping a team to a title. no thanks.

saw that coming from a mile away:)

funny when you say he is a chucker because he is shooting such a high % and really i dont view him as a chemistry killer because he takes smarter shots then say a Thornton.

taking smarter shots than al thornton is like saying he's a better free throw shooter than deandre.

Hehe. I agree with most that Gay is not worth the money... We have large money to spend we need to spend it on the largest players... cough cough (even though ekker might not like it) LeBron James.

Derty_Bert
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1120

calif.gif
votes: 3

If Lebron doesn't come keep the money and give Melo an contract offer next year.

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5


Repped High Quality Post

no!, its always next year, i think Rudy is the best option. Blake Griffin will develop to be the leader. Although 12 mill is alot, i think thats what we need to get a player like Rudy. i disagree with what people are saying about Gay, he is a good passer, defender, scorer, and he is only getting better. If Lebron is not coming, then i think Rudy Gay is the best option.

Joe Johnson? we have Eric Gordon why do we need him

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4073
votes: 55

I like Rudy Gay a lot more than I did a few years ago. He's still young, but seems to be maturing in the right way. The problem I have is with Rudy at 12 and Baron at 13 million... That's half our cap on two players. Unless we can find a way to dump Baron, I wouldn't bring in Gay.

For the same money, you could get Gay, Felton, Outlaw and Smith... Then you realize what a drag on the ticket Baron Davis is.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

rick0314 wrote:
Derty_Bert wrote:
If Lebron doesn't come keep the money and give Melo an contract offer next year.

no!, its always next year, i think Rudy is the best option. Blake Griffin will develop to be the leader. Although 12 mill is alot, i think thats what we need to get a player like Rudy. i disagree with what people are saying about Gay, he is a good passer, defender, scorer, and he is only getting better. If Lebron is not coming, then i think Rudy Gay is the best option.

Joe Johnson? we have Eric Gordon why do we need him

really, it should be "rudy gay? we have gordon, why do we need him?"

yes, i know they play different positions...but rudy gay is just a good scorer, which really, we don't need(again, lebron is an exception). we need a guy who can bring more to the table other than scoring. gordon, kaman, griffin, even baron davis sometimes...these guys can hold their own in scoring. what the team needs is someone who can bring other things(defense, passing, leadership) to the table. rudy gay, to me, doesnt really have any of these things, and bringing him in only slightly improves our offense in my opinion, while hurting us in 2 areas we need improvement in(chemistry and defense). while joe johnson isnt known as a defender, he certainly helps in the chemistry department. he is a good guy, good leader, makes clutch shots, and is a very good passer who could slide in to the 3 spot if we need him to.

the knocks against johnson, however, are his age and his defense, and the fact that we would have to overpay him to get him.

however, we'd have to overpay gay as well, and though he is younger, i think he brings less to the table as far as what the clips need.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

rick0314 wrote:
Derty_Bert wrote:
If Lebron doesn't come keep the money and give Melo an contract offer next year.

no!, its always next year, i think Rudy is the best option. Blake Griffin will develop to be the leader. Although 12 mill is alot, i think thats what we need to get a player like Rudy. i disagree with what people are saying about Gay, he is a good passer, defender, scorer, and he is only getting better. If Lebron is not coming, then i think Rudy Gay is the best option.

Joe Johnson? we have Eric Gordon why do we need him

I agree. The whol we will get it done nxt year thing is the same old tune for the clippers. We will use the money this offseason either way so why not get a bonified star player.

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

why would we get a 2 guard when we like a 3???

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

seanrooks wrote:
rick0314 wrote:
Derty_Bert wrote:
If Lebron doesn't come keep the money and give Melo an contract offer next year.

no!, its always next year, i think Rudy is the best option. Blake Griffin will develop to be the leader. Although 12 mill is alot, i think thats what we need to get a player like Rudy. i disagree with what people are saying about Gay, he is a good passer, defender, scorer, and he is only getting better. If Lebron is not coming, then i think Rudy Gay is the best option.

Joe Johnson? we have Eric Gordon why do we need him

really, it should be "rudy gay? we have gordon, why do we need him?"

yes, i know they play different positions...but rudy gay is just a good scorer, which really, we don't need(again, lebron is an exception). we need a guy who can bring more to the table other than scoring. gordon, kaman, griffin, even baron davis sometimes...these guys can hold their own in scoring. what the team needs is someone who can bring other things(defense, passing, leadership) to the table. rudy gay, to me, doesnt really have any of these things, and bringing him in only slightly improves our offense in my opinion, while hurting us in 2 areas we need improvement in(chemistry and defense). while joe johnson isnt known as a defender, he certainly helps in the chemistry department. he is a good guy, good leader, makes clutch shots, and is a very good passer who could slide in to the 3 spot if we need him to.

the knocks against johnson, however, are his age and his defense, and the fact that we would have to overpay him to get him.

however, we'd have to overpay gay as well, and though he is younger, i think he brings less to the table as far as what the clips need.

Are you serious? Kaman is the only one who has been scoring consistently this year. We definitely need more fiepower on offense. gay can also pay defense somewhat so i think he would fit in pretty well.

We are fourth worst in the league in scoring. We desperately need another scorer who shoots high %.

mike42
Clipper Starter
Posts: 377

ip.gif
votes: 3

I heard, from coach Hughes' mouth, J Johnson wont be coming. and # 1 priority is LJ

Yaroslavs#1Fan
Clipper Starter
Posts: 703
votes: 18

I believe that... roll

For those talking about rudy gay being one dimensional and only being a scorer and being a blackhole, heres a scouting report of rudy. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4961
votes: 38

Yaroslavs#1Fan wrote:
mike42 wrote:
I heard, from coach Hughes' mouth, J Johnson wont be coming. and # 1 priority is LJ

I believe that... roll

For those talking about rudy gay being one dimensional and only being a scorer and being a blackhole, heres a scouting report of rudy. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

thanks for posting that.

I am really tired of clippes fans who's only exposure to a player is one to 3 games a year and maybe the occassional glance at a stat sheet.

SamMays
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4073
votes: 55

Remember how great we thought Baron was because we all saw him in one great playoff series.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

Yaroslavs#1Fan wrote:
mike42 wrote:
I heard, from coach Hughes' mouth, J Johnson wont be coming. and # 1 priority is LJ

I believe that... roll

For those talking about rudy gay being one dimensional and only being a scorer and being a blackhole, heres a scouting report of rudy. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

A four-year old scouting report. That's... great.

Hey, have you guys heard about the white Scottie Pippen? It's all hear in this five-year old scouting report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yar ... rolev-256/

mike42
Clipper Starter
Posts: 377

ip.gif
votes: 3

funny

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 16158
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 129

^^ Touche'!

I wanted to rep you for that but it seems I can't give anyone more than 5 votes total . Didn't know that was the limit.

Yaroslavs#1Fan
Clipper Starter
Posts: 703
votes: 18

journeyman wrote:
Yaroslavs#1Fan wrote:
mike42 wrote:
I heard, from coach Hughes' mouth, J Johnson wont be coming. and # 1 priority is LJ

I believe that... roll

For those talking about rudy gay being one dimensional and only being a scorer and being a blackhole, heres a scouting report of rudy. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

A four-year old scouting report. That's... great.

Hey, have you guys heard about the white Scottie Pippen? It's all hear in this five-year old scouting report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yar ... rolev-256/

thats not the point, the point is to show you the stuff he was able to do four years ago. now he has grown and can do those things like defense and passing, better. and rudy gay is proven unlike yaroslav.

MrB
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2433

us.gif
votes: 18

What the...It's like you were reading my mind. Weird!

NUMB3RFIFTY
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1624

am.gif
votes: 36

journeyman wrote:
Yaroslavs#1Fan wrote:
mike42 wrote:
I heard, from coach Hughes' mouth, J Johnson wont be coming. and # 1 priority is LJ

I believe that... roll

For those talking about rudy gay being one dimensional and only being a scorer and being a blackhole, heres a scouting report of rudy. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay

A four-year old scouting report. That's... great.

Hey, have you guys heard about the white Scottie Pippen? It's all hear in this five-year old scouting report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Yar ... rolev-256/

That's quite possibly the funniest thing i've seen on this board.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

I'd say the following are the funniest on this board:

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/index.php?n ... 5241#45241

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/index.php?n ... 3974#63974

rick0314
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1571

mx.gif
votes: 5

anyone see Rudy against the Celtics? I want him if we cant get LBJ

He is young and only getting better

SeahawkClip
Clipper Starter
Posts: 353
Location: Whittier, CA
votes: 1

I want them to sign Rudy so badly, I would go nuts if they did.

GRIFFIN32
Clipper Starter
Posts: 364
Location: La Mirada CA
votes: 2

quick question for everyone if rudy became a clipper would you buy his jersey?? i might but i would have to say rudy on the back, I could already hear all of those annoying laker fans roll

MannyA
Clipper Starter
Posts: 371

us.gif
votes: 5

Hahahahaha! Never thought about that! That's funny. Luckily we can just buy Griffin Jerseys

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Hughes; The Right Man for the Job

→ Baron needs to go, i'm fed up.

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!