I'm pissed!!!!! Clippers.com is using my hard work!

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Garbage Bin
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125
 
I went to Clippers.com to see if they had some new videos when I noticed there is a new Griffin video posted ( in very bad quality) that had some footage of BG that took me 8 hrs to complete. That's from the intro of BG "flying". That's the footage where only Griffin is color and everything else is in black and white. There is only one style of that footage on youtube...MINE! F***, I'm pissed that they chopped my original video and used that part. I didn't watch the rest of it being I was furious. That footage was very time....

Please log in to view the entire post.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2681

wz.gif
votes: 31

what do you expect, they overspent on the ingenius marketing campaign of last year (Clippers, now they're playing to win!). Still paying that off I guess. They needed some free contributions.

Clipswhit
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1730

am.gif
votes: 7

Didn't they contact you about doing some work for them? And didn't you just blow them off? Maybe you should start talking to them again, they need a highlights editor...

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Doesn't matter. I'm not really interested in making videos for them anymore. I don't have the time and I don't want to be pressured with a timeline. I'm mad that they took part of my creative content without asking me or giving me credit for it. Had they asked, all I would have asked for was some credit. I knew that scene was going to get ripped off but I never thought it would be Clippers.com.

I'm finishing up my EJ video later this afternoon but this time, I'm going to start putting watermarks on it. That way, if they use it, it'll be noticed.

That scene took forever. I made that mine. That's why I'm mad. That scene is in 100's of youtube videos but i took the painful road to make sure mine was different...That's why I'm pissed!

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7256
votes: 80

send dj foster an email.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4854
votes: 37

clipper*joe wrote:
Clipswhit wrote:
Didn't they contact you about doing some work for them? And didn't you just blow them off? Maybe you should start talking to them again, they need a highlights editor...

Doesn't matter. I'm not really interested in making videos for them anymore. I don't have the time and I don't want to be pressured with a timeline. I'm mad that they took part of my creative content without asking me or giving me credit for it. Had they asked, all I would have asked for was some credit. I knew that scene was going to get ripped off but I never thought it would be Clippers.com.

I'm finishing up my EJ video later this afternoon but this time, I'm going to start putting watermarks on it. That way, if they use it, it'll be noticed.

That scene took forever. I made that mine. That's why I'm mad. That scene is in 100's of youtube videos but i took the painful road to make sure mine was different...That's why I'm pissed!

it's ridiculous they did that to you. you have every right to be mad about that. i would definitely try to contact their marketing team and get some type of compensation at least.

GL with the battle.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

CB, a simple credit is all I really wanted in this. The footage isn't mine, I just put time into it to make it unique. It's like spending all of your hard work and time to create a new product and then you find out someone is passing it off as their own. The guy could have used the regular version but he decided to take my creativity and similar concept to create a "bootleg" version, the easy way. Im mean, the subject is a little different but the concept is about the same. A narration with a story. I mean, that is a total rip-off.

In fact, I would have let them use my FULL video without permission and i would have been honored. The fact that he took just the hard work to pass it off as his own is what really gets to me.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4854
votes: 37

^^ well here's hoping for that credit:)

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7256
votes: 80

isnt there an option on youtube to copyright your videos?

i use vimeo for that very reason.

clipper321
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1386
Location: California
calif.gif
votes: 10

Joe!!!

Dude I saw that on the Clippers website and I was trying to watch it on my mobile phone to see if it was similar to yours and I had a feeling it was. I couldnt watch it and I kinda forgot about it.

Its not surprising though, next time get that thing copyrighted!

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29

Joe, as mad about this as I am (and believe me, I am.. I hate seeing hard work stolen, especially from a friend like you), I believe ekker gave you the best solution.

DJ Foster will address this, no need to show any anger or anything, leave it to DJ and see what he can do about it. I know it's unfortunate but good thing you caught it. I'm sure they'll do something about it once DJ knows about it.

Let's take positives from this:

  1. Clippers.com staff watched your work.

  2. Clippers.com staff liked your work.

  3. ...alot

  4. Clippers.com staff thought your work was good enough to put up.

There's many good things in the situation too Smile

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

TheCalmInsanity wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
send dj foster an email.

Joe, as mad about this as I am (and believe me, I am.. I hate seeing hard work stolen, especially from a friend like you), I believe ekker gave you the best solution.

DJ Foster will address this, no need to show any anger or anything, leave it to DJ and see what he can do about it. I know it's unfortunate but good thing you caught it. I'm sure they'll do something about it once DJ knows about it.

Let's take positives from this:

  1. Clippers.com staff watched your work.

  2. Clippers.com staff liked your work.

  3. ...alot

  4. Clippers.com staff thought your work was good enough to put up.

There's many good things in the situation too Smile

Fact is, it was DJ. DJ has a channel of his own and I've seen his attempts at mixing. He was the only one that got a hold of me when he first offered me a free-lance job. He's the only person from Clippers.com that has posted comments on my videos. Not mad anymore. I've already posted a comment under his video so he knows. As long as he knows and a few Clippers fans know what he's doing, that's enough for me. As long as he knows I'm watching the videos there, he'll know what he did pissed me off. Maybe that should get his attention.

I'm posting my EJ video later tonight and I was thinking about putting watermarks on my video but that would ruin the feel of it, so I won't go that far.

The new video is color corrected that it is unique. So if they try and take a piece of it, it will look awkward trying to fit it in with regular footage. That should be enough.

Water under the bridge now. I'll take another look at the finish video later today and if it looks right, I render it and post it this evening.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

You can't. In fact, the footage I'm using is copyrighted without permission. I can't copyright something I don't own.

I joined a mixmakers forum about 6 months ago that caters to serious mixmakers. This week, a guy stole someone else's Jordan mix and put watermarks on it and reposted the thing on youtube to try and pass it off as his work. That guy made a thread with the video in it and he was caught within hours of posting it. Right now, that is the most popular thread there and it's caused an uproar t. I had no idea mixing for some was a serious thing. lol

Needless to say, now I know how it feels. IMO, he took my best part and stole the concept of narration and made the video out of my creativity. That's why lost it for a second. had it been a regular mix, them maybe i wouldn't have been that mad.

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29

clipper*joe wrote:
TheCalmInsanity wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
send dj foster an email.

Joe, as mad about this as I am (and believe me, I am.. I hate seeing hard work stolen, especially from a friend like you), I believe ekker gave you the best solution.

DJ Foster will address this, no need to show any anger or anything, leave it to DJ and see what he can do about it. I know it's unfortunate but good thing you caught it. I'm sure they'll do something about it once DJ knows about it.

Let's take positives from this:

  1. Clippers.com staff watched your work.

  2. Clippers.com staff liked your work.

  3. ...alot

  4. Clippers.com staff thought your work was good enough to put up.

There's many good things in the situation too Smile

Fact is, it was DJ. DJ has a channel of his own and I've seen his attempts at mixing. He was the only one that got a hold of me when he first offered me a free-lance job. He's the only person from Clippers.com that has posted comments on my videos. Not mad anymore. I've already posted a comment under his video so he knows. As long as he knows and a few Clippers fans know what he's doing, that's enough for me. As long as he knows I'm watching the videos there, he'll know what he did pissed me off. Maybe that should get his attention.

I'm posting my EJ video later tonight and I was thinking about putting watermarks on my video but that would ruin the feel of it, so I won't go that far.

The new video is color corrected that it is unique. So if they try and take a piece of it, it will look awkward trying to fit it in with regular footage. That should be enough.

Water under the bridge now. I'll take another look at the finish video later today and if it looks right, I render it and post it this evening.

AWESOME!!! Super excited!! And yeah, by getting mad I mean taking unnecessary action. You've done the right thing though. Just look at the positives and keep the right attitude man. You're going places. Your videos are incredible.

If you just let him know (as you already did), I'm sure he'll have no problem with giving you credit (although he should have done it in the first place).

Let me know if you need anything. I'll be glad to help!

david
Site Admin
Posts: 8493
votes: 42

They definitely should have given you credit Joe- hopefully they will now that the word is out! Looking forward to your new vid!

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

If you did it who's to say anyone else could not do it ? And you say you at the beginning of the season clippers.com tried to recruit you to join them to which you declined.

If you are spending 8 hours making clipper videos I am pretty sure you have enough time to put some kind of signature on it.

xldicelx
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1034
votes: 5

sorry to hear that joe...

glad you took the positive road on this one (after you blew up)

Nothing wrong with getting upset. but I am glad you did not react in your anger. you clamed down and did it the right way... good for you Joe..

p.s.

keep up the GREAT work!!

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29

It's the same exact colors, same fade-in fade-out sequence and effects, including the pixelization blur. Even the bit of slow-mo at the end was the same. It also takes very long to make the colors isolated like that on the video, just because someone else can do it doesn't mean they have the right to take a shortcut and steal his work.

He didn't want to put a watermark on it because it wasn't a small video, he wouldn't want to ruin the flavor of it.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

First of all, DJ already sent me an apology...TWICE via email! Second of all, he also posted an apology in my thread on Clipsnation. You don't believe me? Go to Clipsnation and see for yourself. Thirdly, don't blame me for not doing what you've suggested, I use my time as i please and I make my videos as I please. Excuse me for believing people would honor my work.

@ TCI, you've got a good eye. You've mentioned everything precisely. That's how I verified it myself.

By the way, that technique is called rotoscoping. it's like background removal in photoshop. Only you have 30 frames a second and each frame has to be isolated. each frame has movement so you know it is very time consuming. No ways around it. You have to mask each individual in each frame and remask anything that intersects within the object you want to keep the color on. It's not like green screening where you can just overlay a filter. Not something I plan on doing often.

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

[quote="clipper*joe"]

"First of all, DJ already sent me an apology...TWICE via email! Second of all, he also posted an apology in my thread on Clipsnation. You don't believe me? Go to Clipsnation and see for yourself. Thirdly, don't blame me for not doing what you've suggested, I use my time as i please and I make my videos as I please. Excuse me for believing people would honor my work. "

panties in a bunch much? Hemorrhoids flaring up?..........none of what I said to you was malicious or mean so I have no idea why you took what I said in such a negative way.......big deal they used your 10 second video clip.........life goes on..........its not like they made money off of you or stole a patent you owned the rights to

Taylor
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2105

us.gif
votes: 23

Shame, but if I am not mistaken any footage you used without the expressed written consent of the NBA isn't your property and I am pretty sure if they wanted to, they could go after you legally because you don't own the footage. Sure there's thousands of people that take photos, videos etc. and put them on the internet but the NBA can't go after everybody.

Sucks they can't at least say "Part of this video was compiled by a lifelong Clipper fan, and we thank him for the excellent work!" Or at least something kosher like that.

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29
much? Hemorrhoids flaring up?..........none of what I said to you was malicious or mean so I have no idea why you took what I said in such a negative way.......big deal they used 8 hours of your hard work ........life goes on..........its not like they made money off of you or stole a patent you owned the rights to
Fixed for you. Let's assume Clipper*Joe was a McDonald's worker even, making minimum wage ($8 an hour). 8 hours of his work (even at McDonalds) would be $68. Would you like to lose $64 to someone who didn't even acknowledge that they took....

Please log in to view the entire post.

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

no patent, no license, no ownership....= wasted argument.

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29

Actually, what you said would be true if he was going to sue them.

But if he wants to be disappointed that they didn't even respect him enough to acknowledge his hard work, of course he can.

So you're saying one man can sit there for a long time working on something, and then someone else can just take a shortcut and use that just because he's working for the NBA? Just cause he has patents and licenses on his side doesn't give him the right to be taking other people's work instead of doing it himself.

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

It not even like the video footage was original or his, he took it removed some color remove some color and then claimed it as his own work, if anything that is infringement by law and if the clippers, fox, or nba wanted could prosecute for and win that it was their property from the start.

This is not an argument just stating facts in a society run by the legal system

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

No panties ain't in a bunch but if you spent 8 hours on a project and someone who...err...a legit company stole your time and effort, knowingly, wouldn't you be mad? If you don't feel that way,maybe you haven't spent time and effort for more than 8 hours on anything, then. It's not the taking of the clip, it's the act of knowingly taking someone else's creation, someone who doesn't have all the unlimited resources like Clippers.com has... and using it knowing they didn't create it. I might not be illegal but it does lack integrity, especially from a company who has limited resources.

It's like Pepsi stealing a mom and pop's new soda formula. I'm sure they have enough time and effort to create something new but why? When you can steal it and claim it as your own.

And don't pass that "I didn't mean anything malicious". I was venting and you came over telling me if I had time to spend, maybe I should have done this nor that.

I know the footage isn't mine but then why would Clippers.com use it when they have access and experienced people to do what I did in a fraction of the time I spent?

You just don't get it. Whether I own the footage or not, what someone did there is Bush-League. A website like that shouldn't be going to youtube to steal amateur stuff when they can produce better quality stuff in-house.

clipsfansincebirth
Clipper Starter
Posts: 678
votes: 4

TheCalmInsanity wrote:
clipsfansincebirth wrote:
no patent, no license, no ownership....= wasted argument.

Actually, what you said would be true if he was going to sue them.

But if he wants to be disappointed that they didn't even respect him enough to acknowledge his hard work, of course he can.

So you're saying one man can sit there for a long time working on something, and then someone else can just take a shortcut and use that just because he's working for the NBA? Just cause he has patents and licenses on his side doesn't give him the right to be taking other people's work instead of doing it himself.

No what I am saying is what he did was make a video, with stolen nba footage, and without the consent from the NBA ......hence they could sue him.........because that is ILLEGAL...........I know this because I went to law school Smile

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Well, NBA footage and mixes are allowed on youtube because it brings more fans to the table. I've already said that I can't stake claim to it. The point of this why would Clippers.com go to youtube and find ideas and recreated fooatge when they have unlimited resources? I know what I am doing is technically illegal but the mixers are not doing it for profit, they are doing ti for the love of the sport. Which is why the NBA does not crack down. they see it as free promotion. They ain't stupid.

Taylor
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 2105

us.gif
votes: 23
Shame, but if I am not mistaken any footage you used without the expressed written consent of the NBA isn't your property and I am pretty sure if they wanted to, they could go after you legally because you don't own the footage. Sure there's thousands of people that take photos, videos etc. and put them on the internet but the NBA can't go after everybody. Sucks they can't at least say "Part of this video was compiled by a lifelong Clipper fan, and we thank him for the excellent work!" Or at least something kosher like that.
Well, NBA footage and....

Please log in to view the entire post.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

BullS**T! You can drop all that legal mumbo jumbo but the fact remains that the Clippers.com site has to take an amateur's ideas to put out a product. Kinda sad when an amateur can put out a better product than his favorite team's paid circle.

Just remember, I was given an apology several times and was asked how they can smooth things out. And guess what? I don't want s***. A little appreciation and recognition was all I was asking. I got that.

Am I getting sued? No. In fact, they want to make things right, so there. wink

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 1505

am.gif
votes: 29

clipsfansincebirth wrote:
TheCalmInsanity wrote:
clipsfansincebirth wrote:
no patent, no license, no ownership....= wasted argument.

Actually, what you said would be true if he was going to sue them.

But if he wants to be disappointed that they didn't even respect him enough to acknowledge his hard work, of course he can.

So you're saying one man can sit there for a long time working on something, and then someone else can just take a shortcut and use that just because he's working for the NBA? Just cause he has patents and licenses on his side doesn't give him the right to be taking other people's work instead of doing it himself.

No what I am saying is what he did was make a video, with stolen nba footage, and without the consent from the NBA ......hence they could sue him.........because that is ILLEGAL...........I know this because I went to law school Smile

You'll learn that in life, there are plenty of places where using your law school knowledge is irrelavant.. I.E. times like this, fights with a girlfriend or parents, etc. If what CJ did was that bad, then instead of stealing his material, they would have "sued him" if that's what you truly believe the NBA does to people who make mixes.

If that was true, why wouldn't they just tell CJ that his mixes are illegal? YouTube always says my videos have copyrighted material in there from Broadband NBA or whatever, but they specifically say NO ACTION IS REQUIRED ON MY PART, and all they do is put an ad on my video and move on. That's it...

Sorry man, but keep your law school in court where it is of good use Very Happy

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125
Shame, but if I am not mistaken any footage you used without the expressed written consent of the NBA isn't your property and I am pretty sure if they wanted to, they could go after you legally because you don't own the footage. Sure there's thousands of people that take photos, videos etc. and put them on the internet but the NBA can't go after everybody. Sucks they can't at least say "Part of this video was compiled by a lifelong Clipper fan, and we thank him for the excellent work!" Or at least something kosher like that.
Well, NBA footage and....

Please log in to view the entire post.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

The laws usually apply when the second party is making profit off of someone else's property. Thye NBA has never cracked down because they know they are getting free publicity out of it. If I were selling the games online, then you can bet I'd have a lawsuit on my hands.

The only time youtube cracks down is usually when you use copyrighted music. That is why I try and stay away from that type of music. I usually use post production music that isn't sold, but used in movie studios.

FightOnRon
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4694
Location: The Darkside
us.gif
votes: 37

Well this tells me one thing CJ....you are more talented then the clones they hire to do the same thing. I would suspect there is not much you can do about this but WE ALL KNOW YOU DID it,,and we can post replies to wherever it shows up and sate that Cj from CTB made this video.

Clipper NAtion.

checkdafool10
Posts: 2465
Location: Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 11

i dunno they look the same but it could also be a coincidence i mean you aren't the first person to think of blacking out everything in the background except for the focal point its been done alot

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15854
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

^^ Like I said, they've already apologized.

checkdafool10
Posts: 2465
Location: Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 11

hey i end up apologizing for alot of things i didn't do. I DIDN'T LEAVE THE TOILET SEAT UP!

MannyA2
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 102
votes: 0

Tanto pedo por un pedito.

ladodgermaniac
Clipper Starter
Posts: 276
votes: 2

moderator should remove this thread, its a waste of time

checkdafool10
Posts: 2465
Location: Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 11

dude a moderator did start this thread and is like second biggest dog on this site behind David

BenjaSands
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1296
votes: 3

get in on the next clippers chat or something and tell em your is way better and its not even close

the one on the website is like a "fake" of yours haha

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← ***FOR SALE*** Gordon signed + 10 More **CHEAP**

→ Garbage

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!