Neil Olshey putting in work

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cli ... 6220.story

Dude was on the phones at 6 am this morning. He speaks a bit about the goal and what he's been doing.

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9235

us.gif
votes: 120

Doesn't want to be caught with his pants down like last July.

C-P-3! C-P-3!

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1062
votes: 6

"Clearly, everybody walks into every season with the goal of making the playoffs," he said. "And that's obviously our goal this year. We think that we're going to have the ability to do it." - Neil Olshey

Not to be a hater, but teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Heat and Celtics do not set their goals to making the playoffs. For the Lakers, the real season doesn't even start until the playoffs...and not winning the title is a failed season. That's why it's great to be basketball fan in LA, you get to root for a rebuilding team to make the playoffs from November to May, then root for the varsity team to win the championship from May through June.

journeyman
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3835
Location: Los Angeles
votes: 40

lol

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9594
votes: 22

Don't think that was all the fault of Olshey's. The attraction/attention to the Clippers from players is a LOT different this year then last, with Blake actually be able to show his skills and charisma on the court to all of the NBA...it should make Neil's job a lot easier this year.

prokreation
Clipper Starter
Posts: 720
votes: 10
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-blake-griffin-20111201,0, 6066220.story Dude was on the phones at 6 am this morning. He speaks a bit about the goal and what he's been doing.
"Clearly, everybody walks into every season with the goal of making the playoffs," he said. "And that's obviously our goal this year. We think that we're going to have the ability to do it." - Neil Olshey Not to be a hater, but teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Heat and Celtics do not set their goals to making the playoffs. For the Lakers, the real season doesn't even start until the playoffs...and not winning the title is a failed....

Please log in to view the entire post.

prokreation
Clipper Starter
Posts: 720
votes: 10
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-blake-griffin-20111201,0, 6066220.story Dude was on the phones at 6 am this morning. He speaks a bit about the goal and what he's been doing.
"Clearly, everybody walks into every season with the goal of making the playoffs," he said. "And that's obviously our goal this year. We think that we're going to have the ability to do it." - Neil Olshey Not to be a hater, but teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Heat and Celtics do not set their goals to making the playoffs. For the Lakers, the real season doesn't even start until the playoffs...and not winning the title is a failed....

Please log in to view the entire post.

ClipYourWings
Clipper Starter
Posts: 467

ca.gif
votes: 5

I root for LA. But if the Clippers play the Lakers.... screw 'em.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

people that are clipper and laker fans are simply casual fans. nothing wrong with that, but there's no real passion that exists.

they tend to be women and guys that cant name the 6-7-8 guys on the bench.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

Maybe true if they are fans of both. To hope Lakers beat Boston for example like I did etc.. I don't think that makes me less of a Clippers fan.

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1062
votes: 6

Well, if I just rooted for who wins, I would almost never be rooting for the Clippers. But I don't really see the Clippers as a rival to the Lakers. Teams I dislike are the Celtics, Spurs, and Kings (late 90's edition). I especially hate the massive Celtics following that shows up for the game at Staples against the Clippers. I mean, most of these guys have never even been to Boston. Then they get all excited when they win and I have to remind them that their loser team beat LA's JV team. I guess I enjoy seeing LA prevail over all those other piss-hole cities. So I guess ironically, I've been a Lakers and Clippers fan my whole life. I also root for the Dodgers and Angels but still make fun of the Angels every chance I get. Hell, I root for both UCLA and USC if they are playing some midwest school like Ohio St who thinks they are all that.

So with your analogy's, Yankees fans don't really consider the Mets a rival as they rarely even play each other. They focus 100% of their attention on the Red Sox. So I'm sure there's plenty that go to Mets games and root for them or are indifferent. Same with the Giants and A's. I'm in NY every once in a while and it seems like there are groups of New Yorkers that go Jets, Mets, and Nets to be different, but the Giants, Yankees, and Knicks fans don't really pay much attention to them.

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1062
votes: 6

Oh, I'm also a Clippers season ticket holder for like 8 years now because I can't get in the 200 or better section for the Lakers. Pretty sorry huh? Once Kobe retires, maybe I can sneak in.

I do root for Clippers when they play the Lakers because...well, the Clippers could use the wins more than the Lakers. Unless of course the line looked too good and I put money on the Lake Show.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

i was going for boston. that's how much i hate the lakers.

Ricky
Clipper Starter
Posts: 712
votes: 7

Yup, I always root for the Lakers to lose. Doesn't matter who they are playing.

SpecialQue
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 55
votes: 0

I'm both a Laker and Clipper fan, but a Laker fan first due to first being exposed to basketball through that team. Plus, Magic's my all-time favorite player (and my candidate for GOAT), and Pau and Artest are my favorite current players on any team.

However, I tend to post here occasionally and follow the team in general because the Clippers have a fascinating history, and there's just something about this team that sucks you in. I grew up with a family of Chicago Cubs fans, so that explains part of why I'm drawn to this team. Then there's the fact that, for much of their history in LA, the Clippers have been the Bizarro-Lakers.

I root for my city above all, so I root for both teams. However, if they ever play each other, I root for the Lakers. The only time this MAY ever change would be if they were in the WCF, mainly because it would be friggin' amazing to see the Clippers in the finals. Bill Simmoms' lame rules about "sports bigamy" can kiss my ass.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

SpecialQue is legit too .. He's a nice guy who's actually taken the time to study Clippers history more than most of us have in the last year.

illastrate
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1646

us.gif
votes: 13

I always root against the Lakers, whether they play the Heat, Celtics, anybody. I can't think of a scenario where I would ever root for them, unless it benefited the Clippers somehow(i.e. playoff positioning)

bullterrierclipsfan1349
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif
votes: 30

i despise the flakers with a passion. ever since i was 5 years old i have hated the flakers. the only reason i didnt hate them from birth is cuz i came from mexico when i was 2 years old and for the first 2 years of me being in the states my father didnt watch anything but soccer. however as soon as my dad started watching basketball he became a clips fan. im 25 now and if i ever do have kids ill be damned if they root for the lakers. i might disown them or put them up for adoption. lol.

Antonius
Clipper D-League Pickup
Posts: 25
Location: Nova Angola, Brazil
br.gif
votes: 0

Sick!! I got goosebumps!!

2CLIPisHip
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 126
votes: 1

ekker3 wrote:
prokreation wrote:

Can you be a Clipper fan AND a Laker fan??? I feel insulted when Laker fans also root for the Clips.

people that are clipper and laker fans are simply casual fans. nothing wrong with that, but there's no real passion that exists.

they tend to be women and guys that cant name the 6-7-8 guys on the bench.

So true

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9235

us.gif
votes: 120

ekker3 wrote:
Clippersfan86 wrote:
Maybe true if they are fans of both. To hope Lakers beat Boston for example like I did etc.. I don't think that makes me less of a Clippers fan.

i was going for boston. that's how much i hate the lakers.

Me too! Anyone but the Lakers. Last season I was hoping that it wasn't LAL vs. MIA in the finals or I just couldn't have watched.

Shout out to Ricky, too!

SpecialQue
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 55
votes: 0

I remember Olshey getting a lot of heat because of not doing enough to get Iggy on the Clips before the lockout started. So far I've mainly seen CP3 and Dwight stuff, but are they still making a play at Iggy, or does that depend on who they're able to land once free agency starts?

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

No no Que. Trades>Free agents in Olshey's mind. I'm sure a blockbuster trade so we can eat some cap would have to be pulled off before we sign a free agent due to cap reasons.

ClipYourWings
Clipper Starter
Posts: 467

ca.gif
votes: 5

2CLIPisHip wrote:
ekker3 wrote:
prokreation wrote:

Can you be a Clipper fan AND a Laker fan??? I feel insulted when Laker fans also root for the Clips.

people that are clipper and laker fans are simply casual fans. nothing wrong with that, but there's no real passion that exists.

they tend to be women and guys that cant name the 6-7-8 guys on the bench.

So true

I can name you the entire bench for both teams, their rosters over the past decade, contract salaries for all their players, draft picks owed/due, current owners, General Managers, trainers, presidents, financials, etc.

It's probably not the same for me because I don't live in LA. But my heart and soul is always going to be with the Clippers. Even if Vancouver does pick up the Hornets, it's always going to be LAC for me.

2CLIPisHip
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 126
votes: 1

There are always exceptions to the rule

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

yeah there are definite exceptions. there's a couple legit dudes in here.

but it still seems a bit sleezy to me.

bullterrierclipsfan1349
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif
votes: 30

^ agreed.

2CLIPisHip
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 126
votes: 1

Lakers are gross

Paolo310
Clipper Starter
Posts: 797
Location: Los Angeles
rp.gif
votes: 4

ekker3 wrote:
prokreation wrote:

Can you be a Clipper fan AND a Laker fan??? I feel insulted when Laker fans also root for the Clips.

people that are clipper and laker fans are simply casual fans. nothing wrong with that, but there's no real passion that exists.

they tend to be women and guys that cant name the 6-7-8 guys on the bench.

count me out bro haha! i happen to root for the lakers in the playoffs, but i can name a good amount of bench players for most teams. oh, and sorry none of our trades came thru in the ff league. wish me luck in the playoffs, if i make it hahaha!

pageC4
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4789

us.gif
votes: 24

It's perfectly natural for towns with two teams to have a bitter rivalry. I for one am a die hard Clipper fan and have two ways I spend the NBA season.

  1. Root for the Clippers and hope they make the playoffs

  2. If the Clippers are eliminated then I want to root for anyone playing the Lakers.

People who like both teams can do that if they wish, but It's very strange to me. Ask die hard Cubs fans whats the worst scenario for them and thats the White Sox winning the world series. Same goes for Jets fans..they hate it when the Giants are taking the spot light, and lets not even get to baseball. How do you think Yankee fans would react to the Mets finally having a dynasty.

I always ask Trojan football fans what is a bigger game for them ( v.s Ohio State, Notre Dame, or UCLA) they all respond without hesitation..UCLA. Its not that the rivalry has been even. God knows the Trojans have beat the tar out of my Bruins, but if you lose against your cross town rival you will have to hear about it by people you see everyday. Not to mention they own the town until the next meeting between the two teams goes on.

Same goes with the Lakers Clippers. Its almost a naturally rivalry, so although people are free to like both I find it difficult to reconcile rooting for the two teams.

TheCalmInsanity
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 1506

am.gif
votes: 29

I agree with SpecialQue.. I'm a Clipper fan above anything else, and will never have another team that gives me that "warm fuzzy feeling" inside like when I'm waiting for a Clipper game at night... But, at the same time, I do respect the Lakers (well, most of them. Bynum has definitely lost it, after all the incidents with Beasley, Barea, Crash, etc).

The TEAM itself, I don't mind too much. I feel like the Clippers got lucky with Dunleavy and Neil Olshey now, two GM's that are doing much more than what Elgin Baylor EVER did. However, I do believe the Lakers organization gifts their fans with peace of mind that no matter what, they'll be good (hopefully the Clippers are like that from now on, thanks to the added attention from Blake and Elgin Baylor being gone).

The one thing that turns me off to the Lakers is their fans. If I ever root for the Lakers to go down, it's because my arrogant, overconfident friends that don't even watch basketball that just root for the Lakers to be cool, piss me off. The ones that make blind bets and yet can't even name the starting 5.. To be honest, it felt great to see the Lakers getting swept and the idiot Laker fans being speechless for once. Sometimes they need a punch in the face to come back down to earth (same with the Lakers team).

But I respect the fans that watch both teams and study them, learn about both teams.. I don't see any reason why not. If the Lakers were someone's team but the Clippers are the up and coming, exciting team, who is going to tell them not to enjoy watching them? We don't have an ACTUAL rivalry (at least not yet?). If you're rooting for the Lakers to go down when the Clippers do, it's not a rivalry, to be honest.. it's more of a jealousy. Not saying it's a bad thing, I've been guilty of it too. We've all done it. I'm sure the Laker fans did it too, when we got to the second round and they didn't.

So SpecialQue, keep doing what you're doing man, utmost respect to you. Don't let people ever make you think otherwise.

ClipfanSince88
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3349
votes: 21

I completely agree with this. While the Clippers have always been my favorite team, I used to root for the Lakers too. But between my dislike for Kobe and the seemingly innumerable ignorant, bandwagon Lakers fans, beginning in the early 2000s, I found myself rooting against the Lakers in pretty much every instance.

I still have a lot of respect for the Lakers organization and most of the players, but I just cannot root for them.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8308

rp.gif
votes: 38

I am a clippers fan first and a laker haters second

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1395
votes: 4

I'm going to attempt to bring this back to the topic on hand: Free Agency and Olshey.

I understand the talks have been about the big names but we need fill out the roster. Assuming the roster stays as is, we need a backup PF or two, a 3rd shooting guard, and maybe a 3rd C.

Looking at free agent list, I think we should sign Brandan Wright as a backup PF. He's big and long and has a decent game. He could provide a few minutes a game and he would come cheap with a high upside. Then, we should sign Mo Evans/Shannon Brown to backup EJ and Foye. Both of these guys are veterans and can come in and contribute when EJ and Foye are out. Let's face it, EJ hasn't really shown he can stay healthy for a full season.

Who would you guys want to round out the roster?

Battlegun
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1208
Location: California
votes: 5

^ I don't think we'll need a backup shooting guard or power foward right now. If our two rookies don't pan out well, then the Clippers might want to look into it.

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1395
votes: 4

I don't expect much from our rookies. They'll probably spend a good amount of time in the D-League. We need players that have experience and come in and contribute.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7266
votes: 80

if you're rooting against the lakers during the regular season, you're gonna be rooting against them in the post-season. its not jealousy, just consistency.

if i was jealous, id've already jumped ship. jealousy doesnt exist for us - why else would we have chosen to become clipper fans?

so no, specialque dont keep what you're doing. stay away from the dark side and keep it real.

SDclipper
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1289
Location: Nashville, TN
calif.gif
votes: 19

I don't like the Lakers because I don't like a lot of their fan base. It may be a misguided stereotype, but I don't feel that Laker fans have really gone through the tough times enough to appreciate the success they have. I feel like they just pick to win, and take the easy road. Hence my signature line. I understand it's not always that way, but it's VERY easy to be a casual Laker fan and masquerade around as an actual fan. I love being a Clippers fan because you'll never meet one who doesn't know anything about the team.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9594
votes: 22

Most on this board hate/dislike the Lakers because of their fan base (or a large part anyway) and that's justifiable. I used to be a Laker fan in the '60's, 70's, 80's and early part of the '90's. I left their fan base when, Shaq and particularly Kobe came on board. I respected their talents, but could never get warm and fuzzy about them and their ego's (personal problem I guess, lol).

The Laker organization I will always respect due to their commitment to winning and the product they consistently put forth...it's unfortunate that they cannot pick their fan base. But with that all being said, I too root against them now, but I don't hate "them"...maybe just some their silly/uninformed fans.

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9235

us.gif
votes: 120

For me, it's partly the fan base (though I do believe there are SOME real fans), partly the media fawning (catering to the know-nothing, bandwagon, fair weather idiots) and mostly the league's ass-kissing with scheduling and such, because the Lakers ARE the league overseas (there's a lot of coin in jersey sales).

But I don't want to complain too much these days, because BG32 is going to make US that team over the next few years.

benoitbenjamin
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 134
votes: 0

Just saw a article that butler would like to play in LA or Chicago hoopsworld site is were I saw it .

clipperAndrew
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1799
votes: 10

ekker3 wrote:
prokreation wrote:

Can you be a Clipper fan AND a Laker fan??? I feel insulted when Laker fans also root for the Clips.

people that are clipper and laker fans are simply casual fans. nothing wrong with that, but there's no real passion that exists.

they tend to be women and guys that cant name the 6-7-8 guys on the bench.

I disagree... I have been a Clipper fan for almost 20 years, and have been a laker fan for the same amount of time....but clearly clippers are my number 1, lakers my number 2.

Nothing wrong with liking the lakers if you are from LA.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

Guys stay on topic please. No more LAL vs LAC.

2CLIPisHip
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 126
votes: 1

I hate every other team besides my own. What the hell is the point otherwise?

I really like the Bears AND Packers.

I love the Yankees and Sox

I love the Lakers and Celtics

This is stupid, you either get it or you don't.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15374
votes: 91

2CLIPisHip wrote:
I hate every other team besides my own. What the hell is the point otherwise?

I really like the Bears AND Packers.

I love the Yankees and Sox

I love the Lakers and Celtics

This is stupid, you either get it or you don't.

Exclamation

clipperstown
CTB MVP X3
Posts: 11297
Location: Glendale, CA
am.gif
votes: 24

it's just so un-natural to be both a clipper and laker fan.. like wtf is up with that. I'm not hating on whoever is, but that's just so weird, how can you actually like one of those teams without hating the other one?

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1062
votes: 6
it's just so un-natural to be both a clipper and laker fan.. like wtf is up with that. I'm not hating on whoever is, but that's just so weird, how can you actually like one of those teams without hating the other one?
Seriously, not to disrespect the Clippers, but most Lakers fans don't consider the Clippers a rival. In fact, most are just glad the Lakers have 2 extra home games to go to. Here's my breakdown of the different Clippers fans that exist: Those basketball fans in LA that hate the Lakers and/or Kobe specifically and choose to root....

Please log in to view the entire post.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 9594
votes: 22

Hate is a pretty strong word and not sure why it would be so unnatural to be fans of both...unusual maybe, but unnatural..hmmm

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1062
votes: 6

Getting back to the topic, I think Olshey needs to get Chris Paul wrapped up here. He don't want to play in Boston and the Hornets don't want to trade with Knicks. Rick Bucher said that Clippers were the most likely destination on Sports Center last night. Olshey better be on the phone with Golden State to see about a 3 team deal involving Curry going to the Hornets and CP3 on the Clips. He needs to stop wasting his time with Dwight Howard who is set to join the fraternity of Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq on the Lakers. I see it as a win-win because we get both Howard and CP3 in LA.

So if we give Mo Williams, Chris Kaman, and Minny 1st rounder (Harrison Barnes/Austin Rivers) to ultimately get CP3, we would sport this lineup:

PG: CP3, Eric Bledsoe

SG: Gordon, Warren, Foye

SF: Butler (Yeah, we signed him too), Aminu

PF: Griffin, Tompkins

C: DeAndre, Diogu

loyalclipfan
Clipper Starter
Posts: 848
Location: Mira Loma, Ca. 91752
votes: 3

^^^^^

only one adjustment to your lineup, s-11, replace warren with travis leslie, he has a much better chance of being on our roster, imo

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Guess who's on the cover of SI's NBA Preview Issue?

→ Who should we sign/trade????

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!