Why doesnt anyone blame the real problem, Andy Roeser?

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
gary
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 51
votes: 1
 

When you have been a Clipper fan as long as I have, then you know the real problem is Andy Roeser, aka "the bean counter". Every money issue is run thru him and he runs it by Sterling. He is NOT well liked by many in the organization and it is quite obvious he is the ONLY one still around dealing with these issues for 28 years. Besides having a smug attitude, he doesnt know talent at all!

When Sterling tosses him, we will be headed in the right direction.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

cuz the problem is the cheap bastard sterling. always been the problem with this team and still is unfortunately

ClipperB23
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2116
votes: 19

So its Andy Roeser's fault that Neil Olshey isn't a man of his words?

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

A cheap bastard doesn't pay a backup center 10 million dollars and spends 70 million on player salaries....Get off your high horse.

People see what they want to see.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

Not that I am going to stand up Roeser, because I don't know much about him and the job he does or about him as a person. But I do want to make two points here:

  1. At the end of the day, it's still Sterling's money and Sterling's decision to make. Sterling is cheap, so Roeser wanting to spend money is probably by Sterling's design.

  2. In this case, reports were that Roeser was the one in Sterling's ear pushing him to retain Olshey. So I wouldn't blame him for this either.

gary
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 51
votes: 1

Jarca, you have NO CLUE. Sterling does NOTHING without Roeser telling him.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

He is not well liked by the organization? Says who?

The "bean counter" was the one stepping up for Olshey when he agreed to sign with us. Yeah, Olshey actually agreed to stay...Did you forget? Did you also forget that we had one of the highest payrolls this season? Nah, of course not.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Really Rooks? 70 million in salary is cheap? I guess we describe cheap differently.

See, the cheap route would have been to keep all of our cheap and expiring contracts and not traded for CP3. And before you say Olshey was the one who convinced to go after him, DTS wanted CP3 before Olshey fell into his position.

gary
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 51
votes: 1

Andy Roeser is a CPA. Period.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

...And Neil Olshey is a Childhood Actor. What's your point?

gary
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 51
votes: 1

Olshey was involved in player development. Contracts for employees, that's Roeser's deal. Olshey, no contract, Baylor, no contract, etc, Blame Roeser.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

I have 70 million in player salaries that says you're wrong. Olshey had virtually the least experience of any GM. You don't sell the farm on a guy like that. You take your time on making a decision like that.

Allen? Allen isn't a very good judge of talent either. Look at his track record in the last 2 seasons in filling the GM seat. Maybe he did us a favor...Time will tell.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
jarca wrote:
cuz the problem is the cheap bastard sterling. always been the problem with this team and still is unfortunately

A cheap bastard doesn't pay a backup center 10 million dollars and spends 70 million on player salaries....Get off your high horse.

People see what they want to see.

Not a cheap bastard?

Let's have a look:

  1. Dunleavy: After firing Dunleavy, Sterling refused to pay Dunleavy the rest of his contract, which he was clearly supposed to get. It turned ugly and it ended up going to court. And this isn't really the Sterling of old. This was two years ago.

  2. Del Negro: After Dunleavy is out, Sterling has to replace him. So who does he get? Del Negro. Is it because he is the best coach? Is it because he has nice hair? We won't really know his reasoning exactly, but we do know that after being fired in Chicago, Del Negro was still being paid by the Bulls.

  3. Olshey: After Dunleavy is fired, the team replaces him on the bench with Del Negro, but what of his front office job? Well, instead of looking for a real general manager, the team just promotes Olshey, who becomes easily the lowest paid general manager in the league for 1.5 seasons. Luckily, Olshey was good(or not, depending on your view) but I don't think Sterling knew that; he knew he was the cheapest option because, well, he was already being paid, and a small amount at that. We don't know anything for sure about how the Olshey thing really happened, but we know that Portland offered him money and then Sterling offered to match, and while it's an improvement over not offering to match, he has always been the guy who said,"go find an offer, and bring it back and I'll match it."

Also, about DeAndre getting paid: Sterling always built his teams to make money. So not paying players anything and still getting a decent turnout from fans made him money. But then Sterling figured out the past few seasons that having good players and a good team will net even more money, even if it means having to pay them. Sterling has finally understood that he can actually make more money by winning than by losing. So when the front office says, "we want to match DeAndre's contract, we think we will be a better team with him," he says OK, because a better team means more money. He gets that now. I don't think he truly understand the nuances of the game enough to go against the front office most of the time. If the front office says this guy is worth paying, he has come to trust them, to an extent, and will let them pay. Which is actually an improvement, but not an incredible one. I don't think he had some enormous change of heart and finally decided to not be cheap anymore. He just realized that paying players to make his team a contender will also make him money, so he has opened up his wallet. And I have no problem with his reasoning, as long as he continues to pay, but I'm not sure he has figured out yet that paying coaches and front office staff will also improve the team. He seems to think paying his stars big money will keep fans interested, and he's right to an extent.

So yes, Sterling has improved and has shelled out some more money, but he is not fully cured of his cheap ways.

People see what they want to see.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

  1. He spent 70 million dollars on salary this year....That was just weeks ago.

    1. Sterling offered as much as Allen before Olshey split. Olshey's own words:

"The money was a wash," Olshey says. "It wasn't about that. It was really about that proactively, Paul and Larry and the (Blazers) organization were willing to make a commitment to me. Once Portland came in, (Sterling) was willing to put any resources together. The financial part of it wasn't an issue.

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story ... 1927291300

What I am offering you are recent events, not bringing up old crap that fits your narrative.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
seanrooks wrote:

Not a cheap bastard?

Let's have a look:

  1. Dunleavy: After firing Dunleavy, Sterling refused to pay Dunleavy the rest of his contract, which he was clearly supposed to get. It turned ugly and it ended up going to court. And this isn't really the Sterling of old. This was two years ago.

  2. Del Negro: After Dunleavy is out, Sterling has to replace him. So who does he get? Del Negro. Is it because he is the best coach? Is it because he has nice hair? We won't really know his reasoning exactly, but we do know that after being fired in Chicago, Del Negro was still being paid by the Bulls.

  3. Olshey: After Dunleavy is fired, the team replaces him on the bench with Del Negro, but what of his front office job? Well, instead of looking for a real general manager, the team just promotes Olshey, who becomes easily the lowest paid general manager in the league for 1.5 seasons. Luckily, Olshey was good(or not, depending on your view) but I don't think Sterling knew that; he knew he was the cheapest option because, well, he was already being paid, and a small amount at that. We don't know anything for sure about how the Olshey thing really happened, but we know that Portland offered him money and then Sterling offered to match, and while it's an improvement over not offering to match, he has always been the guy who said,"go find an offer, and bring it back and I'll match it."

Also, about DeAndre getting paid: Sterling always built his teams to make money. So not paying players anything and still getting a decent turnout from fans made him money. But then Sterling figured out the past few seasons that having good players and a good team will net even more money, even if it means having to pay them. Sterling has finally understood that he can actually make more money by winning than by losing. So when the front office says, "we want to match DeAndre's contract, we think we will be a better team with him," he says OK, because a better team means more money. He gets that now. I don't think he truly understand the nuances of the game enough to go against the front office most of the time. If the front office says this guy is worth paying, he has come to trust them, to an extent, and will let them pay. Which is actually an improvement, but not an incredible one. I don't think he had some enormous change of heart and finally decided to not be cheap anymore. He just realized that paying players to make his team a contender will also make him money, so he has opened up his wallet. And I have no problem with his reasoning, as long as he continues to pay, but I'm not sure he has figured out yet that paying coaches and front office staff will also improve the team. He seems to think paying his stars big money will keep fans interested, and he's right to an extent.

So yes, Sterling has improved and has shelled out some more money, but he is not fully cured of his cheap ways.

People see what they want to see.

  1. He spent 70 million dollars on salary this year....That was just weeks ago.

    1. Sterling offered as much as Allen before Olshey split. Olshey's own words:

"The money was a wash," Olshey says. "It wasn't about that. It was really about that proactively, Paul and Larry and the (Blazers) organization were willing to make a commitment to me. Once Portland came in, (Sterling) was willing to put any resources together. The financial part of it wasn't an issue.

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story ... 1927291300

What I am offering you are recent events, not bringing up old crap that fits your narrative.

How is it crap that fits my narrative? Those Dunleavy cases were going on until very recently, if I recall, and that was basically over Sterling being cheap. And I explained the 70 million--I said, he has improved in that he has opened up his wallet more now, but also that he and the team make tons of money by having Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, even if he pays them big money. He knows that if he locks up Griffin and Paul for the next 5 years, he will be racking in the dough.

And please explain, how is the Dunleavy case just crap narrative? Did we not think he was willing to spend in 06, that he was cured, and then the Dunleavy stuff happens? How is the Olshey stuff crap narrative? Was he not the cheapest replacement, because he was already being paid? How is the Del Negro stuff crap narrative? Was he not still being paid by Chicago? He didn't have the best track record, so I'd think the price had something to do with the hiring...

And Sterling offered to match, but that's the problem. He's always a guy who lets the market decide the price. As in, he'll keep paying low until someone out there makes him raise. Even though he'll pay, that's a cheap way to function.

Look, I know none of this is cold hard "fact." You'll say it's all narrative, but over the years there has always been evidence pointing to Sterling being cheap, and all these things point to it.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Crap was a harsh word to use, sorry. My point is that we have fresh current events that can paint a better picture of DTS in his current state.

You have to open the vault and pull out some old stuff to make a point that he's still the same. I totally disagree with that.

Lumping the Olshey situation into that narrative is not right. Olshey in his own words said the money was a wash. Whether he is lying or not, you don't know so his words have to be taken as fact.

So if he's spending money, and is one of the owners who spent the most this past season, and was giving Olshey the same money Allen gave him, what do you have to stand on? What current situation fits that narrative?

That DTS should have sold the farm on the least experienced GM out there? Now you have a report that it was actually someone else who had to convince Olshey to grab CP3 and you think Olshey should have been given the keys to the city? Even then, DTS offered the same money Allen did so the this cheap things doesn't have any legs as far as I'm concerned.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

clipper*joe wrote:
jarca wrote:
cuz the problem is the cheap bastard sterling. always been the problem with this team and still is unfortunately

A cheap bastard doesn't pay a backup center 10 million dollars and spends 70 million on player salaries....Get off your high horse.

People see what they want to see.

a cheap bastard also doesnt wait to match but offers it right away. last i checked clippers matched

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

oh please do tell. iam willing to hear how you were hiding in the closet ala R.Kelly while dts and roeser discuss business

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

clipper*joe wrote:
seanrooks wrote:
Not that I am going to stand up Roeser, because I don't know much about him and the job he does or about him as a person. But I do want to make two points here:

  1. At the end of the day, it's still Sterling's money and Sterling's decision to make. Sterling is cheap, so Roeser wanting to spend money is probably by Sterling's design.

  2. In this case, reports were that Roeser was the one in Sterling's ear pushing him to retain Olshey. So I wouldn't blame him for this either.

Really Rooks? 70 million in salary is cheap? I guess we describe cheap differently.

See, the cheap route would have been to keep all of our cheap and expiring contracts and not traded for CP3. And before you say Olshey was the one who convinced to go after him, DTS wanted CP3 before Olshey fell into his position.

how much does he pay his coach compare it to phil jackson, popavich and doc river who all have won championship

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

Of course Sterling wanted Paul, because Paul is a superstar that, even when paid a max contract, will pull in loads of money. And my point is, Dunleavy, Del Negro, Olshey are all relatively fresh-within the last 2 seasons. And with Olshey, I'm not even talking to what went down in Portland--that's messy, I don't even want to get into that. Sterling may have offered first, he was willing to match, but he also may have handled it poorly. That can go both ways. Put that aside.

But his promotion to GM, was a cheap move. He was the lowest paid GM in the entire league for 2+ seasons, if I'm not mistaken. And proven or not, he was paid a lot less than any other GM. And you know why? Because he was the assistant GM, getting paid like an assistant GM, who was promoted when Dunleavy was fired. Sterling didn't have to hire another person when Dunleavy left, because he just made the assistant GM the full time GM. Hiring Del Negro just 2 seasons ago, was cheap. The Bulls were still paying him. He basically just got a free coach. How is that not cheap?

gary
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 51
votes: 1

How much does the MORON in Phoenix make, or Larry Drew. Dont talk about Phil Jackson in the same breath as a coach who has done nothing.

As far as Deandre goes, the Clips had a gun to their head, either match Golden State or lose Blake when its time. Wake up. Whoever made that argument about spending money on Deandre is just plain stupid!

When you have a CPA running the show, then you have big time trouble, Its all about the bottom line.

JamFan
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2375
votes: 22

I don't think I have ever seen so many fans this upset over the loss of a GM. And I don't think I have ever seen fans upset at the Prez. Olshey made some great moves along with some stupid moves. The next guy will do the same. But I blame our current situation on the trainer. If he had given Sterling and Olshey and Roeser the right meds we wouldn't be in this situation.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Pops, Phil, and Rivers didn't start with the salaries they have now. I would think you would have thought that out when you made that comment.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Exactly! That's why DTS offered him a contract that Olshey agreed on before he went to Portland to sell himself with that same offer on the table.

By the same token, a man of his word doesn't go back on it. he keeps his word. So try and remember, if not for Olshey being a weak as man that doesn't keep his word, DTs wouldn't have had to match the offer....He already had him, FFS!

FightOnRon
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4686
Location: The Darkside
us.gif
votes: 37

So we are looking to play the blame game,,I blame Al Queda and the Taliban. They eff everything up.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
jarca wrote:

a cheap bastard also doesnt wait to match but offers it right away. last i checked clippers matched

Exactly! That's why DTS offered him a contract that Olshey agreed on before he went to Portland to sell himself with that same offer on the table.

By the same token, a man of his word doesn't go back on it. he keeps his word. So try and remember, if not for Olshey being a weak as man that doesn't keep his word, DTs wouldn't have had to match the offer....He already had him, FFS!

I don't think the story is as clear cut as you make it out to be. From the other side(not necessarily exactly my point of view, I'll make it a little more extreme for arguments' sake) it could have gone something like this:

The season ends, and the Clippers extend Del Negro. Olshey is upset because he didn't want Del Negro to begin with, and told Sterling he didn't want him back, but Sterling disagrees and brings back Del Negro. Not only is Olshey upset about the decision, but he has to talk to the press about how great the move was. On top of all of that, the team has yet to make Olshey an offer. Olshey is upset, and decides to make himself available, at the very least to push Sterling into offering him a contract. Paul Allen plans to meet with Olshey, and Olshey happily agrees, as he has had interest in Portland for some time.

Olshey meets with Allen. They discuss strategy, contracts, etc. Allen says they are interviewing other people, but that he likes what he hears from Olshey. He offers him a contract, and they come to a verbal agreement. It isn't made public yet, as a contract isn't signed yet.

Olshey leaves his meeting with Allen feeling certain he will work for Portland. The Clippers, hearing about Olshey's meetings, make Olshey an offer, the first one to be made public. Olshey, for whatever reason(indecisiveness, leverage, or, as he put it, to hush the media) accepts the deal, in principle, and does not sign a contract. A few days later, the offer from Portland is made formally, and Olshey formally accepts. The Clippers offer to match, but it is too late. Olshey is gone.

Do I think this is exactly how it went down? Not necessarily. But it's possible. I don't think anything in there is too inconceivable. I don't think it's fair to say the entire story is just, "Clippers made first offer, Olshey accepted, then backed out of the deal." There's more to it than that.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

clipper*joe wrote:
jarca wrote:

how much does he pay his coach compare it to phil jackson, popavich and doc river who all have won championship

Pops, Phil, and Rivers didn't start with the salaries they have now. I would think you would have thought that out when you made that comment.

wtf is their starting salary have to do with it? bottom line is those teams paid big $$ for top notch coach. i wonder why coach pop n doc chose to stay with the same team all these years, probably cuz they weren't low balled.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7964

rp.gif
votes: 35

clipper*joe wrote:
jarca wrote:

a cheap bastard also doesnt wait to match but offers it right away. last i checked clippers matched

Exactly! That's why DTS offered him a contract that Olshey agreed on before he went to Portland to sell himself with that same offer on the table.

By the same token, a man of his word doesn't go back on it. he keeps his word. So try and remember, if not for Olshey being a weak as man that doesn't keep his word, DTs wouldn't have had to match the offer....He already had him, FFS!

we're talking about dj and now you switched to olshey. yeah the clippers offered him a contract at the last minute when dts could have done it 6 months prior. maybe another low ball offered by dts and olshey just said fk it im out

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

How long as Pops been at SA? What was his starting salary? Of course if F'ing matters. He started out somewhere, and he has been successful at it.

VDN has been to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years so give it a rest. Rivers was just as successful in Orlando as VDN is but VDN has made out of the 1st round...Doc Rivers didn't. Rivers only got out of the 1st round when he got the 3 amigos.

And Pops? Pops came in the year before they got Duncan. And Guess what? He sucked ass his first year.

And Phil Jackson? He inherited a the Chicago Jordans!

So please spare me the name dropping. If you have to use the best coaches in this era to make a point, you have no point. They all started out with small salaries and success has garnered them their riches.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

It's not as clear cut. I don't know what happened but I ain't about to go putting out no elaborate scenario out of thin air.

The sequence of events are all we have. If Portland didn't offer him a contact until after we did, you can't say they were more interested than we were. If Olshey agreed to terms on a contract, that Olshey said it was a wash, you can't say DTS was cheap. You can try to rationalize it as much as you want but those facts I just presented with shreds your theory.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

No, that's the point I'm making. You're stating facts without the full context. I said, I'm not claiming my story to be the gospel truth, but it is a very possible scenario of how things may have played out. You can't just state a few facts without looking at the context just because the context is unknown. My point is that my story is a definite possibility of how things played out, because we weren't there for any of it. All we know are the few facts you point out, but what happened in between those few events is just as important, and we don't know what happened. Is there anything factually wrong with my story? Is there any reason that it can't be the way it played out? You can knock my elaborate scenarios as much as you want, but the point is that we still don't know what happened and it's unfair to boil it down to "Clippers made first offer, Olshey accepted, backed out, and the Clippers are 100% innocent."

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

And by the way, I never mentioned Sterling being cheap in my story...

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

The facts I am stating have no agenda. It's just a timeline and words from the horses mouth. Based on said timeline and words, your scenario doesn't fit the timeline or words.

Your argument is about DTS being cheap. Olshey's own words contradict your opinion. The Blazers showing more interest in Olshey is contradicted by the fact that we moved first and Olshey agreed to stay here before leaving. I ain't giving any opinions here, Those are the simple facts.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Your words in this thread:

Not that I am going to stand up Roeser, because I don't know much about him and the job he does or about him as a person. But I do want to make two points here:

  1. At the end of the day, it's still Sterling's money and Sterling's decision to make. Sterling is cheap, so Roeser wanting to spend money is probably by Sterling's design.

  2. In this case, reports were that Roeser was the one in Sterling's ear pushing him to retain Olshey. So I wouldn't blame him for this either.


Of course Sterling wanted Paul, because Paul is a superstar that, even when paid a max contract, will pull in loads of money. And my point is, Dunleavy, Del Negro, Olshey are all relatively fresh-within the last 2 seasons. And with Olshey, I'm not even talking to what went down in Portland--that's messy, I don't even want to get into that. Sterling may have offered first, he was willing to match, but he also may have handled it poorly. That can go both ways. Put that aside.

But his promotion to GM, was a cheap move. He was the lowest paid GM in the entire league for 2+ seasons, if I'm not mistaken. And proven or not, he was paid a lot less than any other GM. And you know why? Because he was the assistant GM, getting paid like an assistant GM, who was promoted when Dunleavy was fired. Sterling didn't have to hire another person when Dunleavy left, because he just made the assistant GM the full time GM. Hiring Del Negro just 2 seasons ago, was cheap. The Bulls were still paying him. He basically just got a free coach. How is that not cheap?

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

I said, in my story. I do think Sterling is cheap, but in my scenario, I never mentioned Sterling being cheap. In my version, he offered Olshey a contract and offered to match Portland's.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

You seem so set on these "facts." Again, can you explain why my story or another version of it cannot be true? It fits the timeline just fine. You act like it's so cut and dry, that this was the sequence of events, these 3 things, and that's it.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

Read through my scenario again. I do not say Sterling is cheap in it, I say he offers a contract and then offers to match Portland's. But read through the entire scenario and tell me what is factually wrong with it. It fits the sequence of events. So many things could have happened around the few factual events that you mentioned.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

Also, is it not very possible that Allen made Olshey an offer during the London meeting before the Clippers did, but that it was not made public because Olshey had not yet made a decision? Maybe Portland didn't want to make it public that Olshey was their choice if Olshey stayed in LA, because they wanted to keep their options open with the other finalists.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Because I ain't giving any story. I am only giving you unadulterated facts with no spin. You're the one with the story, not me. And your story and conclusion doesn't fit with those facts.

Sterling is cheap- yet Olshey said he wasn't. the money was a wash

Portland just had the most interest- No they didn't. If they had, they wouldn't have let this drag on this long and let his former team make an offer Olshey accepted.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Is that why Allen said there were 4 finalists after the fact? See, it was easily debunked.

Edit: that doesn't make any sense. They offered him a covert offer but wanted to keep their options open for other finalists? Doesn't an offer for a job eliminate the the employers options? Meaning they've made their decision?

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

CJ, I am not talking about what I said earlier. I have said many times, I personally think Sterling is cheap. But in the scenario I wrote up, I didn't say that. Can you go through that post specifically and tell me what is so wrong with it, and why it is not a possible scenario? You seem to think that if it isn't a 100% fact, it is impossible. Why is my scenario not possible? A lot of other stuff happens behind the scenes. I don't see why I am wrong in assuming that there is more to the story than the "Clippers offered first, Olshey agreed, Olshey left, Clippers are innocent" sequence.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
seanrooks wrote:
Also, is it not very possible that Allen made Olshey an offer during the London meeting before the Clippers did, but that it was not made public because Olshey had not yet made a decision? Maybe Portland didn't want to make it public that Olshey was their choice if Olshey stayed in LA, because they wanted to keep their options open with the other finalists.

Is that why Allen said there were 4 finalists after the fact? See, it was easily debunked.

Edit: that doesn't make any sense. They offered him a covert offer but wanted to keep their options open for other finalists? Doesn't an offer for a job eliminate the the employers options? Meaning they've made their decision?

Meaning Olshey is the guy they want, but Olshey has not fully committed to them yet because he wants to decide if he is staying with the Clippers or not. Portland can't come out and say "Olshey is our guy" if Olshey isn't completely on board. What if they put out a press release stating "Olshey our new GM" prematurely and Olshey decides to stay in LA? That doesn't look very good. As we witnessed with the Clippers, it doesn't always look good to make it known that an agreement was reached in principle.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Still doesn't make sense to me. Why would Olshey travel to London, get the offer he was seeking , and then say he isn't committed? Then the Clippers offer him a contract and he accepts, only to accept the initial offer 2 days later from Portland? Why was the only offer reported accepted by Olshey but the London one not?

I just don't see it.

BoomRizzle
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1101
Location: Anaheim
votes: 11

clipper*joe wrote:

I just don't see it.

clipper*joe wrote:

People see what they want to see.

roll

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
seanrooks wrote:
[

Meaning Olshey is the guy they want, but Olshey has not fully committed to them yet because he wants to decide if he is staying with the Clippers or not. Portland can't come out and say "Olshey is our guy" if Olshey isn't completely on board. What if they put out a press release stating "Olshey our new GM" prematurely and Olshey decides to stay in LA? That doesn't look very good. As we witnessed with the Clippers, it doesn't always look good to make it known that an agreement was reached in principle.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Why would Olshey travel to London, get the offer he was seeking , and then say he isn't committed? Then the Clippers offer him a contract and he accepts, only to accept the initial offer 2 days later from Portland? Why was the only offer reported accepted by Olshey but the London one not?

I just don't see it.

Why is it so out of the question for Olshey to say, "I really like this deal, I like everything about Portland, but I'm not 100% sure I want to leave what I started in LA." The guy is human, it doesn't have to be that after the interview it's either "Screw the Clippers, I'm 100% with you!" or "Screw you, I'm staying in LA!"

Same thing for the LA offer. It was "in principle," not signed. I think that is along the same lines as "not 100%" except LA went public with it.

Do you really think the story goes that he met with Allen, no offer was made, he returns to LA and says, "Oh, I'm in 100%, I had no interest in Portland, I'm 100% coming back!" and then 2 days later said "Screw you guys, I am doing a complete 180 and ditching you for Portland!"

The point is, there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on. What was discussed in the meeting in London? Was an offer made? What exactly entails an "in principle" agreement? How reliable is that kind of an agreement? I don't see why it's so unreasonable to assume that this story is more complex than just "Olshey takes Clippers offer, completely changes his mind and ditches them."

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
 Avatar
Posts: 8745

us.gif
votes: 108

It's entirely possible... as is a scenario wherein he wanted Portland all along and he knew they would be interviewing at season's end, so he turned down an offer from Sterling during the 11/12 season.

None of us know exactly what happened, but he sure didn't seem to be in any hurry to sign with us, and when he did finally agree to terms, Allen stepped up pretty quick with his offer.

It seems pretty clear that Portland were being very coy about if he was even their choice until the Clippers agreed terms with him. From his own mouth we've heard "This is where I always wanted to be... this is where my heart is" and that he wouldn't even seek a counter-offer from Sterling.

He used the Clips as leverage with Allen to hire him, and that's fine... that's business. But anyone blaming Sterling for not retaining him is being disingenuous... he had absolutely no chance to do so unless Paul Allen had hired somebody else.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

Cleepers, I have said all along that it is possible that Olshey may have just wanted to go there all along. But to me, it just seemed like Sterling didn't put for a full effort. It seemed more like an "oh well, I tried" kind of an attempt. Olshey made it clear that part of why he wanted to go to Portland was that he felt wanted there. Paul Allen made him wanted, made him feel needed and important and worth his time. I don't think Sterling is the type of owner to put forth that effort, which I think is a large part of why Olshey would want to go there instead of stay in LA, especially when you consider Sterling was willing to match.

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8745

us.gif
votes: 108

^ Paul Allen didn't even make a decision until he'd agreed terms with the Clips. That's hardly begging him to come. Olshey has wanted the Portland gig for a year or more, and he used the Clippers to force their hand.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

^That is definitely a possibility. And if that's the case, then there's nothing the Clippers could have done. You're right.

But to me, if the Clippers were serious about keeping Olshey, they make him an offer before he gets on that plane to London and gets into serious talks with Portland. Even if it was too late by then and he still leaves, fine. I just don't get the feeling this team really put forth everything they had to keep Olshey. If they do everything they can to keep him and Olshey stabs them in the back, fine. If they don't, and they let Olshey walk, then they better have a backup plan in place, because Vinny as Coach-GM could get disastrous.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15852
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

BoomRizzle wrote:
clipper*joe wrote:

I just don't see it.

clipper*joe wrote:

People see what they want to see.

roll

Oy vey. Did I really effect you that much? Parsing my every word?

Whatever makes you sleep at night, Skip.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Chat with EP

→ The Reason why i like the Clippers and not the Lakers!!

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!