Was Olshey Really The Guy Who Made The CP3 Deal Happen?

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clipper Rumors
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
 Avatar
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

I put this in the rumors section based on the source that was quoted. This article is full of Olshey quotes, and even some quotes from Dunleavy. A very good read. This has been one of the few articles I've read where the subject is based off of actual quotes, and not off of opinion.

Here is that quote i am talking about:

Not everyone holds such a high opinion of Olshey.

One L.A.-based reporter calls him "a liar" who undermined coach Vinny Del Negro and had to be convinced to trade for Paul because guard Eric Gordon -- a centerpiece in the deal with the Hornets -- "is going to be an All-Star."

Ah, you can't please everybody.

What's not debatable is Olshey got a lot done with the Clippers, and that he could have stayed with them had he so desired.

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story ... 1927291300

ClipperB23
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2122
votes: 19

http://www.clipsnation.com/2011/12/16/2 ... d-for-paul

DTS even went up to CP a few years ago when he was a Hornet and told him, ''You belong in Hollywood''

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

^^ Exactly. Maybe that quote I posted was when Olshye walked away and it took VDN and DTS to convince him to put Gordon into the pot. I think that is a probable and likely timeline.

Can you imagine if the this is true, Olshey would have ruined this season.

ClipperB23
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2122
votes: 19

Another thing that nobody mentions, I personally think that Olshey rooked it big time when he went into training camp the next day and told everyone ''Nobody here is being traded, talks have ended'', a SMART GM wouldn't say anything til talks are finalized and completely over, thats why Kaman and Gordon both were depressed when they got traded. They believed Olshey's words, but hey, its easy to believe in an actor, right?

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8829

us.gif
votes: 108

The guys who made the CP3 deal happen:

Blake Griffin & David Stern.

"Why don't WE have a guy like that (re: Blake)" - Chris Paul

"The trade was vetoed for basketball reasons" - David Stern

CP3 would be wearing purple and piss if it wasn't for those 2 guys.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Here is another piece of the puzzle that might give this a little more credibility. Olshey moved Baron because there were articles stating that Gordon would not extend if Baron was still on the team. So Olshey's plan all along was to keep Gordon..."Cause he was going to be an All-Star". So I can see why Olshey would not want to trade for CP3 if his plan was to keep Gordon. Just say'n.

And lets face it, bringing in CP3 caused a logjam at the 1 & 2 positions. Olshey never fixed that situation throughout the year.

hoopfanjd31
Clipper Starter
Posts: 724
votes: 3

I'm going to preface this by saying that I would have been perfectly happy if Olshey stayed, but I don't quite get how some many people are so up in arms about him leaving. We're not talking about Jerry West here, who had a 20 year history of being a brilliant GM. Olshey's been a GM for 2 years and his track record, when you look at the whole thing, is solid, if unspectacular. For many reasons, including some of the facts in the article that started this thread, I have a hard time giving him most of the credit for landing CP3. Everyone knew Paul was going to get traded. Our team, by far, had the best assets to offer NO for CP. Yes, as Cleepers mentioned above, if it wasn't for Stern nixing the Lakers' trade, we would have blown it. I guess what I'm saying is that, given what there was to work with, anyone with even a decent basketball head on his shoulders could have made the CP trade happen.

FightOnRon
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4730
Location: The Darkside
us.gif
votes: 37

^ Kinda how I see it. He was here a year and a half. He lucked into most the good things or had a lot of help. Did most of the dumb things on his own. We will get along just fine,,,whomever new is in charge signs CP3 and BG and we will all call him the greatest GM in the history of the CLippers.

Amnesty_David_Stern
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2333
votes: 7

Baron would have been gone at the start of this year anyways had we not traded him. We may or may not have still gotten the #1 draft choice which would have been Kyrie Irving, but Barons lackluster play and massive contract would have been amnestied like other's around the league.

Olshey was truthful to Gordon and really wanted to see him healthy and live up to his potential in a Clipper uni. We all have been very high on Gordon since his coming here, and I think most all Clipper fans hated to see him leave. Problem is, his health is a massive recurring issue.

Olshey did well with what he had, any other rumors or crap that the media spews out is moot at this point. HE should have won GM of the year and gave us one of the most memorable seasons in NBA history. Olshey DID manage to NOT trade Eric Bledsoe away as insurance in the CP3 deal. That deserves a big thumbs up.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

Amazing how things change. Man how did we manage to have such a good season with the guy Olshey in the way, lol.

I guess the old last guy out the door was the problem, syndrome comes into affect.

hoopfanjd31
Clipper Starter
Posts: 724
votes: 3

^^^ I'm not saying Olshey was bad or that he didn't do some very good things while he was here. I'm just saying that I don't think Olshey established enough of a track record of being great for people to feel despondent about the fact he left or think he's irreplacable.

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31


Repped High Quality Post

I've said this plenty of times, and I'll say it again. Olshey wasn't the best GM. Some think he was incredible, some think he sucked, and he was likely somewhere in the middle. But it didn't matter. What mattered was what he represented: stability in the front office. He may not have been the best GM, but he put a good team together, and the players and coaches and Sterling all seemed to trust him. He brought respectability and stability to the franchise. Now, we are something of a mess without a GM. It won't matter if we replace him with a good GM and restore that stability--but until then, things are a bit messy. That's why Olshey mattered, not because he was some genius.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Stories are always developing in news, Tense. You know that. And by the way, that is a Portland paper that was pretty much a cheerleading piece for Olshey.

Not sure why the sarcasm, people that loved Olshey think we won in spite of VDN...Despite the fact he got votes for COY. Go figure, eh?

seanrooks
Clipper All-Star
 Avatar
Posts: 1364

us.gif
votes: 31

clipper*joe wrote:
tense2 wrote:
Amazing how things change. Man how did we manage to have such a good season with the guy Olshey in the way, lol.

I guess the old last guy out the door was the problem, syndrome comes into affect.

Stories are always developing in news, Tense. You know that. And by the way, that is a Portland paper that was pretty much a cheerleading piece for Olshey.

Not sure why the sarcasm, people that loved Olshey think we won in spite of VDN...Despite the fact he got votes for COY. Go figure, eh?

I don't think we won in spite of VDN necessarily. He's not as bad as people make him out to be. You can't blame him for losses and not give him credit for wins. It goes both ways.

Having said that, I don't think COY voting is the place to look. I mean, Josh Selby got a ROY vote. The guy who played in 28 games, averaged 2.3 points in 8.5 minutes. He was on the Grizzlies-we played them TEN times this year, and I didn't even know he was on that team until I saw he got a ROY vote. So not sure media voting is the best support for your argument...

That being said, I do agree that VDN deserves more credit than he got. He's not a complete moron.

OptimusDimes
Clipper Starter
Posts: 459
votes: 3

Fixed

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

clipper*joe wrote:
tense2 wrote:
Amazing how things change. Man how did we manage to have such a good season with the guy Olshey in the way, lol.

I guess the old last guy out the door was the problem, syndrome comes into affect.

Stories are always developing in news, Tense. You know that. And by the way, that is a Portland paper that was pretty much a cheerleading piece for Olshey.

Not sure why the sarcasm, people that loved Olshey think we won in spite of VDN...Despite the fact he got votes for COY. Go figure, eh?

Me, being sarcastic...come on Joe Wink

By the way, does getting 2 third place votes for COY still count. j/k

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

It counters what some here think.

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8829

us.gif
votes: 108

Still more than 16 out of 29 other coaches got. And considering that all the credit for our season was given to the roster-building and CP3's clutchness, I actually think it's quite impressive.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

cleepers wrote:
tense2 wrote:
By the way, does getting 2 third place votes for COY still count. j/k

Still more than 16 out of 29 other coaches got. And considering that all the credit for our season was given to the roster-building and CP3's clutchness, I actually think it's quite impressive.

That's one way of looking at it Cleepers. It's all in the mind set.

ekker3
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7257
votes: 80

the fact that he gave up EJ (when leverage said he didnt have to) instead of Bledsoe tells me he didnt have a strong like for EJ to begin with.

(btw, notice how much worse our perimeter defense was w/o EJ?)

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

yeah, that would all mean something IF EJ could stay on the friggin court.

Jerediscool
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1700
votes: 16

^ or if we could afford to keep him... remember that was the main reason we threw him in, he was asking too much at the time of signing an extension

lacsmoove
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1223
votes: 7


Repped High Quality Post

Look I thought Olshey was cool. But sometimes I get a bit frustated with the perception guys have. It amazes me how much credit is given to Neil though. I mean without running down the good he did (NY,kept Bledsoe etc.)and the bad (Gomes,and more) the GM in no way spends more time with the players than the coach. I want everyone who reads this to take a minute and think. What coach in the league (or even retired) with less than 10 total practices the whole season, no training camp, in addition to losing EJ, Kaman,Aminu, Signing Chauncey have him lead and mesh with the squad only to tear his achillies halfway through the season, sign Kenyon right before that, bring in Reggie, get Bledsoe back halfway through the season, the add NY, then Simmons, and lets not mention dude with the dreads(I think fortson) and the center we had for (I don't even remember his name, although I know he played for the Pacers) a few games, then hearing everyday through the media that your job is on the line while on a 3 game losing streak, then winning the next 13 of 15 (which should be clear that either he motivated the players or the players stepped up for their coach) games, only to see CP3 pull his groin three games before the playoffs? Then getting more crap from media ( and a number of guys on this board) for sitting him down for the the last couple of games prior to the playoffs and as a result we slipped from 4 to 5 and lost homecourt because of those loses. But he made that decision (not DTS,Olshey,Roser,Saks,Chauncey nor CP3) it was Vinny. And guess what? he had to answer for that. He stated" If Chris plays in these last couple of games we may not have him for the playoffs. What's the point of that?"Again Vinny said that. Not Neil, DTS, CP3 etc. Then went on to lead a team with a starting unit which consisted of a Center who was underperforming, an All-star PF who had a knee injury and then a hip flexor, an All-star PG with a groin injury and then a hip flexor, a backup undersized Sg(Foye, who I admire) who didn't show in the playoffs a SF with a broken hand, yet still was able to win a game 7 in Memphis (who was healthy and at full stength) who were clearly battle and playoff tested. And thats not viewed as a significantly great job by the coach? Trust me if DTS was yelling to CP3 while he was with the Hornets during games that he needed to be in Hollywood (for prokreation this could be viewed as DTS giving CP3 a handjob) do you really think this succesful businessman ( no matter how you feel about him) who just had record earnings this year, did not consult his stars about picking up Vinny's option and letting Olshey walk? Understand I was against us picking up Vinny when he was fired from Chicago, but he's proven himself to me for being able to work through all of the above. And you guys are coveting Olshey? Eveyone is entitled to their opinion but at least think about what I said. Sure Vinny made some in game mistakes or whatever if you were on it like that. But without question he is battle tested. On every post game interview he had red eyes and a wrinkled face. Olshey never looked that way with the slick hair and million dollar smile.I would go to war with Vinny 100 times before I'd go to bat for Olshey. Why? Cause he was never in the war

inventor310
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 208
votes: 0

Well said..! Let's give credit where credit is do..

And I think the Clippers have done that. VDN is

still our HC and OlShay is in Portland.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

^ making some paragraphs or spaces would really help with the read....I got vertigo trying and couldn't finish Smile

Just say'n.

inventor310
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 208
votes: 0

Well said..! Let's give credit where credit is do..

And I think the Clippers have done that. VDN is

still our HC and OlShay is in Portland.

lacsmoove
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1223
votes: 7

Funny as hell Tense. I started seeing double when I re-read it! Very Happy

Jerediscool
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1700
votes: 16

hahaha so true tense! i got about three lines in and had to get some advil

erupt107th
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 163
votes: 2

Just a week ago these same dudes were ecstatic at the fact that Olshey was coming back. Now he leaves and they're trying to discredit what he did for us lol. Red/white/blue-colored glasses.

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

sadly, everyone overlooked a great post.

lacsmoove, repped!

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15883
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Not me. wink

I was never hailing him as a the sole reason we got to where we are. I was trying to calm everyone down. But lets face it, once someone leaves, the novelty wears off and there is retrospect. Such is life.

cleepers
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8829

us.gif
votes: 108

The "ecstatic" ones were mostly the same crowd that thought the apocalypse was here because we picked up Vinny's option.

The truth is, neither guy will make or break the franchise.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8825
votes: 20

cleepers wrote:
erupt107th wrote:
Just a week ago these same dudes were ecstatic at the fact that Olshey was coming back. Now he leaves and they're trying to discredit what he did for us lol. Red/white/blue-colored glasses.

The "ecstatic" ones were mostly the same crowd that thought the apocalypse was here because we picked up Vinny's option.

The truth is, neither guy will make or break the franchise.

Yep, there's only one guy that can do that.

toohipcliptoslip
CTB MVP X1
 Avatar
Posts: 4710
votes: 31

lacsmoove

One of the greatest posts in a LONG time.

You used your head and analized the situation well. Even if I disagreed with you I'd say the same about your post but it seems we agree. We also forget about Mo being relegated to a bench player rather than the team leader. ALso Bledsoe sucked canal water till the PO's. He had the guts not to play DJ

Most important he needed time to sit down with Paul and figure out what they needed to do. He had no idea how the guys would mesh.

Give VDN another year.

As far as Neil-- all will be revealed.

"Always tell the truth but make sure you tell it so late that it becomes irrelevant" either Napolean or Churchill

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← ESPNChrisPalmer-Nick Young To Lakers a Possibility

→ Clippers interested in Dion Waiters?

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!