ESPN Insider: Barnes Impressing Clippers

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
no1wammy
Posts: 163
votes: 2
  
  1. Copy-paste this into your web browser's address bar:

insider [dot] espn [dot] go [dot] com [slash] nba [slash] features [slash] rumors [slash] _ [slash] date [slash] 20121022#925441255

  1. Replace all [dot] with a real dot (.) and [slash] with a forward slash (/).

Looks like the veteran's minimum of Matt Barnes is paying off. He'll be used more for the regular season, saving Grant Hill for special battles and for the playoffs (primarily, the Lakers, Thunder, Spurs, and defending champions Miami Heat).

insignificant
Clipper Starter
Posts: 414

us.gif
votes: 7

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features ... #925441255

insignificant
Clipper Starter
Posts: 414

us.gif
votes: 7

hes impressing me for sure. lets hope it translates into the season

PleaseSellDTS
Posts: 236
votes: 2

Love Barnes for what he brinbgs during the REGULAR season. If patterns hold, dont plan on him giving much during the POs. I think thats the main reason he is no longer a Laker.

FightOnRon
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4672
Location: The Darkside
us.gif
votes: 37

Since first busting out with the "We Believe" Golden State Warriors in 2006-07, Matt Barnes has played for Phoenix, Orlando and, most recently, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Barnes inked a one-year deal with the Clippers in September, a move maybe overshadowed by the team's additions of Grant Hill and Lamar Odom, but early indications are he may have finally found a home.

Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times points out that the veteran swingman is averaging 12.4 points in five preseason games (fourth-best on the team) and is third on the Clips in rebounding (6.4).

"He's in the right spot," Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro told the newspaper. "He runs the court. He guards four positions, basically. He's a very good slasher. He's a very good rebounder. So, I've been real pleased with Matt and just his activity overall."

  • Joe Kaiser
Clippers_FTW
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4497

us.gif
votes: 10

He's impressing me too!

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15824
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

Can you say 6th man candidate?

/rings the village bell

Clippers_FTW
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4497

us.gif
votes: 10

Big time.

Phu7
Clipper Starter
Posts: 426
votes: 4

are we suppose to read the article when we replace the dot and slash because it doesn't work for me.

no1wammy
Posts: 163
votes: 2

Yes, you have to. Topbuzz won't convert any of my you-know-whats to clickables. Hell, I'm even forbidden to use that word because then the forum parameters will think I'm trying to cheat the system. I'm supposed to have 95 posts before I can do what Insignificant just did for me.

clipperAndrew
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1799
votes: 10

The guy needs to start until Billups is back!

LAC_12
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2029
Location: West Coast
votes: 18

He is looking pretty good... although I still don't like his attitude and immaturity... he may be that spark that we need. He is fitting very well with the team and seems like there is a weird feeling, but good basketball chemistry with few Clips and him.

I think CP3 is quite fond of Barnes on the court as well.

CapsNClips
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3926

us.gif
votes: 42

Barnes would be the perfect sarting SG because we have enough slashers on the bench which would make our plays too predeictable so if we can have slashers, 3 pointers, play makers, dunkers, and leaders both on the starting 5 and bench it will make Vinny look like a Offensive Wizard.

StrictClip69
Clipper Rookie
Posts: 54
votes: 0

Can you copy & paste the article on this forum? I don't have insider so the link doesn't work for me. thanks.

jarca
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 7963

rp.gif
votes: 35

Barnes will succeed since he's a hustle guy that just runs the floor and slash to the basket. We have good passers in this team that can find him

LAC_12
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2029
Location: West Coast
votes: 18

Good recognition. I don't know if I would promote Barnes, but this sure as hell is a good argument.

CapsNClips
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3926

us.gif
votes: 42

LAC_12 wrote:
CapsNClips wrote:
Barnes would be the perfect sarting SG because we have enough slashers on the bench which would make our plays too predeictable so if we can have slashers, 3 pointers, play makers, dunkers, and leaders both on the starting 5 and bench it will make Vinny look like a Offensive Wizard.

Good recognition. I don't know if I would promote Barnes, but this sure as hell is a good argument.

The only problem with that rotation in my eyes is that CP3 won't be able to play with his big bro Billups.

LAC_12
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 2029
Location: West Coast
votes: 18

Maybe until his recovery in late Nov./early Dec.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8769
votes: 20

He's ok.

mj_shoefanatic
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2545
Location: Lob Angeles™
calif.gif
votes: 7

Hope he(barnes) gets the start on Wed night. Smile

ArtClip
Clipper Starter
Posts: 286
votes: 4

I was one of those who didn't want him here, but he has proven all of us that he can be a great pickup and possibly, along Crawford, could be a 6th man of the year contender.

JoeClipplet
Clipper 6th Man
Posts: 168
votes: 1

Yeah I didn't like him at all but now... wow, I didn't realize he was THIS good. To me, it just *FEELS* like he's in the right team...

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 5129
votes: 29

I hated this guy when we had to play against him...I love him now. LOL

He's energetic, active, a terrific rebounder, excellent defender. A good guy to have on our side.

CapsNClips
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 3926

us.gif
votes: 42

Kobe? is that you?

CP3Best
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4916
votes: 12

Kobe whooooooo? Are you stilll referring to the nonexistent fud of who is better Meeks or JCross? Well let me put it to you this way: JCross>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Meeks just because JCross is the leading scorer of the Western Conference this preseason!

bullterrierclipsfan1349
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif
votes: 30

i think barnes is a better player coming off the bench than starting. however i have been impressed with the guy. looks happy to be a clipper. he brings grit and a defensive presence to this team. good job front office.

ClipsGForce
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1818
votes: 12

Now if only Lamar was the same thing and impress the heck of us.

bullterrierclipsfan1349
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4526

mx.gif
votes: 30

with this depth, the clips can afford to wait on the guy. odom will be key come playoff time though

Timmy2
Clipper Starter
Posts: 322
Location: LA
votes: 5

Sick. He's not amazing though

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 5986
votes: 10

This guy is such a ridiculous steal at the vet min. How many players who are getting the vet min are better? I can't think of anyone. He is pretty much a starter quality player on some teams.

CP3Best
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4916
votes: 12

Man he is awesome on cuts, but I have a question... Why doesn't he dunk?

no1wammy
Posts: 163
votes: 2

He did dunk:

youtube [dot] com [slash] watch?v=veU3PIlYqwQ

GhostShip
Clipper All-Star
Posts: 1094
Location: Ralph Lawlers backyard
us.gif
votes: 9

I would start barnes at the 2 spot over willie green. Especially if Hill is ready to play. Willie green hasn't shot from the outside well and Barnes is hitting his threes. Barnes plays good defense and hustles we have plenty of guys that can put the ball in the basket. A player that brings a toughness and good defense should be on the court.

TheDude
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2677

wz.gif
votes: 31

Barnes has been great and he'll be valuable when the pressure is on. Playing with Kobe and having that dark shadow over you every single day has to toughen you up.

He's playing very well but no matter what he does he's still our 3rd string SF and no better than our 4th best wing overall. We'll get injuries just like every other team, there's no team in the league that is more ready to reload than us.

Barnes would start for a lot of teams, on this team we'll have a hard time finding 15mins for him. We are loaded.

Cliptonyte
Clipper Starter
Posts: 720
Location: Cliptonyte
votes: 4

He has impressed me too. I knew he was underrated, but he's been better than I imagined.

tense2
CTB MVP X2
Posts: 8769
votes: 20

IMO, he'll end up getting more mins than Hill....and he's not our 3rd string SF in my world as he is in yours, lol.

Keatonsays
Clipper Starter
Posts: 888

calif.gif
votes: 6

I mean could there have been a better pickup?? Matt Barnes Skill set is EXACTLY what we needed. Somebody who makes the right cuts at the right times, doesn't just stand around on offense, plays defense, chases after loose balls, hit's 3's, enforces for our stars, and he does it all for the Vets Minimum. What a bargain!! None of us should be surprised either, Matt Barnes had done this for every team he's played for since Golden State so playing with such an unselfish squad featuring the Best PG in the league as well as the best passing Big Man, should only help his cause!

CP3Best
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4916
votes: 12

I think next year it'll be time to clean up the guys we don't want and offer bigger contracts to who delivers in the playoffs! I still think we'll be able to retain most of them. I don't think that Turiaf and Hollins will get more playing time somewhere else. I wonder how odom will do, because if he doesn't deliver, we got lots of cash to play with!

mj_shoefanatic
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 2545
Location: Lob Angeles™
calif.gif
votes: 7

GhostShip wrote:
I would start barnes at the 2 spot over willie green. Especially if Hill is ready to play. Willie green hasn't shot from the outside well and Barnes is hitting his threes. Barnes plays good defense and hustles we have plenty of guys that can put the ball in the basket. A player that brings a toughness and good defense should be on the court.

PleaseSellDTS
Posts: 236
votes: 2

Where are all the Barnes haters now? Many of you guys hated the signing but love him now.

CP3Best
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4916
votes: 12

I loved every signing our FO made!

clipper*joe
CTB MVP Champion
Posts: 15824
Location: los angeles
calif.gif
votes: 125

October 22th, 2012

wink

Also, you notice my comment about ringing the village bell. Village Tribe? Tribe called Bench?

Thank you!

/pads himself on the back. lol

Seriously though, Barnes is our 6th man. Crawford is our inconsistent shooter, Bledsoe has been hit or miss all season. Barnes has been the heart and soul of the bench.

clipperboy24
CTB MVP X1
Posts: 4850
votes: 37

PleaseSellDTS wrote:
Keatonsays wrote:
I mean could there have been a better pickup?? Matt Barnes Skill set is EXACTLY what we needed. Somebody who makes the right cuts at the right times, doesn't just stand around on offense, plays defense, chases after loose balls, hit's 3's, enforces for our stars, and he does it all for the Vets Minimum. What a bargain!! None of us should be surprised either, Matt Barnes had done this for every team he's played for since Golden State so playing with such an unselfish squad featuring the Best PG in the league as well as the best passing Big Man, should only help his cause!

Where are all the Barnes haters now? Many of you guys hated the signing but love him now.

stoked that he has worked out. Dont like his attitude some times (unnecessary techs especially) but he has done a great job for us.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← ESPN Insider: Blake Griffin's New Post-Up Game

→ ESPN Insider: How The West Is Being Won

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Follow our Los Angeles Clippers RSS Feed, plus the Clippers Rumors RSS Feed, the LA Clippers News RSS feed, and the Clippers Forum RSS feed to get the newest updated Clippers News and Trade Rumors plus Clippers Game update in your RSS/XML reader!