Bledsoe & Butler Traded for Jared Dudley & JJ Redick

Clippers TopBuzz Forum/Message Board » Clippers News & General Discussions
Poll
Do you like this Clipper trade of Eric Bledsoe & Caron Butler for Jared Dudley & JJ Redick?
Yes
63%
 63%  [43]
Meh
29%
 29%  [20]
No
7%
 7%  [5]
Total Votes : 68

Author Search This Topic:

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion
votes: 89

Good news is with CP3 even on his awful nights scoring wise he's always a willing passer. So hopefully that means we added enough talent to make up for those bad nights because I doubt both these on fire 3 point shooters are cold any games at the same time. Who stands to gain the most of this trade as I said before is Blake Griffin. Now let teams send 2-3 defenders at him and see what happens when he fires those passes out to the 3 point line.

pageC4
CTB MVP X1

us.gif
votes: 22

As is BTCF1349 this team is stacked..anything else is icing o the cake.

pageC4
CTB MVP X1

us.gif
votes: 22

yeah oi can't wait till playoffs.. i want memphis, san antonio, then Thunder in the WCF..road to redemption

tense2
CTB MVP X2
votes: 20

We know we got 2 above average 3pt shooters for their positions better then the guys we traded, but here's another important stat when their not shooting those 3"s:

In the last 3 years (regular season) from the long 2 area 16ft to the 3pt line Dudley has shot; .462, .484. .465 and Reddick has shot .471, .412 and .430.

Butler shot in the same time frame; .407, .390 and .453. Bledsoe (who by the way I wanted to keep and try at the sg slot) shot; .278, .250 and .378

Not my usual advanced matrix info, but I wanted to keep it simple for some. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_08

JahvonTheClip
CTB MVP X1
votes: 5

I can't wait to see what Doc can do with DJ and Blake. If given more minutes DJ would definitely average a double double and Blake will go back to 20 & 10 numbers. Can October hurry up!!?

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star
votes: 4

I'm lukewarm about the deal. I think Bledsoe is worth more than Redick and it feels like we dumped Caron's $8M expiring for Dudley who will make $13.5M the next 3 years.

I would have felt a lot better if we could have added DJ for Gortat and Udoh.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2
votes: 29

On a side note, Kevin Martin is going to the T Wolves. Good. That guy killed us with his 3's while at OKC. He could do the same for the Wolves but somehow I don't care as much about that.

JahvonTheClip
CTB MVP X1

JJ Redick

"What a crazy day. Couldn't be more excited to join #ClipperNation.

So incredibly grateful. Now I gotta work on my dunk shot. #LobCity"

I'm glad he has a sense of humor lol!

NUMB3RFIFTY
Clipper All-Star

am.gif
votes: 36

BBWWHHAAATTT!?!?

LUKEWARM!>>!

NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BASKETBALL

OMFG BRUH, LOOK AT THEIR STATS AND STUFF

IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS TRADE YOU"RE NOT A REAL FAN

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion

Not a single person in this thread called out anybody being less of a fan for disagreeing, relax.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2

Man, now I almost want to keep DJ just for some continuity...so we can have at least 3 returning starters. We only had our best regular season ever last year. Don't think I'm not grateful. I'm totally loving this. If Blake can knock down a mid-ranger consistently and DJ hit some damn free throws, we'd be set!

puddnhead83
Clipper Starter
votes: 3

Words Hurt. Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32 Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32 Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_32

NUMB3RFIFTY
Clipper All-Star

am.gif

I hope you're joking... It's the new trend of the entire board.

Condescension.

Nobody is interested in informed discussion.

Sadly this board was a lot better when the team sucked.

prokreation
Clipper Starter
votes: 10

I know this wasn't a sexy trade but we just got better. I loved Bledsoe and Butler but there was no way they were Clippers beyond this year. My first choice was Afflalo. But with this trade we move Butler's contract. At this point in their careers, Dudley > Butler. More versatile. And Bledsoe is a better player than Redick but Redick can space the floor more and light it up from 3. I just don't know why we gave Redick so much. He seems like a character guy though. I"m happy. CP3, Redick, Dudley, Blake, Deandre. Jamal, Bullock. TRE CITY!

tense2
CTB MVP X2

I think Doc just might take you up on that...actually, will take you up on is more like it. FT's aside, DJ defense is what Doc is going to transform.

LeftHook
Clipper Starter
rp.gif

Actually, I don't remember seeing anybody call anybody out, saying they're not real fans because they disagree, until this page.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2

But those FT's will be REAL important. I hate seeing that hack-a-DJ costing us games. I really wish he'd take it as seriously as Blake does.

tense2
CTB MVP X2

Afflalo is getting 7.7 mil per year and I don't think he's worth a million dollars a year more then Reddick.

JahvonTheClip
CTB MVP X1

http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.htm ... rID=201162

For anyone who cares...

tense2
CTB MVP X2

I'll bet he shoots what he did in 2011/12, but the real impact can be made for the majority of the minutes he plays is on the boards and defense.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2

Let's face it, no matter which SG we got for Bledsoe, SOMEBODY would be disappointed. If we ended up (or end up) with Tony Allen, I would have been PISSED! So I get it. Not everyone will be happy. Hopefully, it will all come together in a way we will all appreciate.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion

That's how it always is man. Go on any forum of winning teams and the forum is far more polarizing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but quite honestly it's with good reason at times. We have gotten a HUGE flood of new posters out of the woodwork and membership has went up like 20 times since CP3 joined. Just a ton of bandwagon fans and it's a fact, not an accusation.

Doesn't mean they aren't welcome but if new fans present arguments without any facts or say VERY controversial things, it's no surprise some people will question them and or call them out. Like people with 25 posts suggesting we trade Blake Griffin, whom I've called out personally myself.

Has nothing to do with being condescending but rather having less patience both for the team to win and for bandwagoners who want to jump on now that we are having high levels of success.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2

I think he needs to try the old Wilt style underhanded free throws. It can't be much worse.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion

Not saying all new members are new fans BTW, just a lot of them. Real diehard fans can always spot out who really knows and loves the team vs who doesn't.

tense2
CTB MVP X2

Didn't help Wilt that much.....call Rick Berry the king of the underhanded FT shot.

NUMB3RFIFTY
Clipper All-Star

am.gif

I didn't want to flood this particular thread with examples of condescension (the type I think is in violation of board rules) which I can certainly dig up from the past few weeks. Because I could turn this into a F* roll call.

I applaud your efforts as Moderator and this isn't a shot at you. If you'll notice, you and I joined on the exact same day. And i remember the day when those with 20+ votes were openly offered to be moderators and you accepted.

It sucks knowing that when the clippers are good, the board sucks. And when the clippers are bad the board is awesome.

Voyeur
CTB MVP X2

True, plus he's easier to get in contact with.

david
Site Admin
votes: 42

Definitely I want this to be a friendly, accessible forum/message board to talk the Clippers. I don't get a chance to read all the posts, so if you saw some posts that violated the site rules please personally PM me and I will look into this. Thanks NUMB3RFIFTY!

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star

We gave up our only two tradeable assets outside of Blake and CP and committed 3-4 years to Dudley and Redick. If they don't work out, we're stuck with them.

Yes we got 2 guys that can shoot, but we have 2 others guys in the starting lineup that can't. Blake has improved but teams will give him the jumper all day. DJ is making a ton of $ with little impact.

Clippersfan86
CTB MVP Champion

@Numberfifty

I've always liked and respected you, so I don't think you mean me necessarily and I do remember that. I just don't want you to dislike this place just because it became more controversial or polarizing because as I said, all winning teams deal with this among fans. It's easy to get along when you root for a perennial failure because we all feel the same exact way, know what to expect every year etc. I personally think the increase in debating, disagreeing etc is good for the forum because it keeps us more engaged and posting is at an all time high.

I try my best not to condescend and as you said mistreating others IS against rules. If you see anything out of line, report it and we will deal with it. In this thread though we all seemed to be getting along pretty well.

tense2
CTB MVP X2

Funny, very funny.

jarca
CTB MVP X2

rp.gif
votes: 35

The trade is an up grade but I don't think reddick will put us over the hump. Reddick plays college type of defense where he'll get to a spot on time but he can't challenge or alter shots cuz he lacks athleticism.

Dudley is a great asset but he's not a starter quality.

NUMB3RFIFTY
Clipper All-Star

am.gif

(Was joking earlier)

DJ's $ to impact has always bothered me. I think other teams ran up the bid when it was time to re-sign him and was gave him a million more per year than he deserved.

TheThinkingSomething
Clipper 6th Man
votes: 2

Interesting stats, and cute little jab at the end, there. Next time, bring the stats outright as reputation is the antithesis to objectivity.

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star

Speaking of stats, Redick shot 43% from the field and 36.6% from 3 last year. That's not exactly what you'd call a sharp shooter!

And if he's our starting SG, how well do you think he'll do vs opposing SGs?

He better hit every wide open shot next year if he wants to stay on the court. Same goes for Dudley, who I think was a product of the Phx system.

clippermitch
Clipper All-Star

Exactly what I was thinking. To me, neither player are starters.

Afflalo would have been a better fit. Not as good of a shooter but defensively, he's day and night better than Redick. Afflalo would obviously guard opposing SGs but he could also guard quick PGs like Parker and Curry to save CPs energy.

ClipShow1
Clipper Starter
votes: 1

Both Dudley and Redick's contract are not that bad, I think that either player can easily be trade assets later down the line if they don't work out on this team. 2 productive players making around $11M between them both, that's pretty good value in my opinion. Plus, it's possible that both players can even elevate their game to a higher level playing in Doc's system and playing with CP3.

slestack11
Clipper All-Star
votes: 6

I wonder if CP3 remembers this game. And Daniel Ewing is playing in this game too (Damn Dunleavy for putting him on Raja Bell in 2006).

david
Site Admin
votes: 42

Tense2, appreciate it if you do not engage in personal attacks like that again. Thanks man!

AirGriffin
Clipper Starter

I would like to say that if anyone doesn't think Dudley and Redick and aren't great starting caliber options, you are royally mistaken.

Sure Afflalo would be better, but Redick pretty much was the next best thing. And let me tell you this, he's a much better option than Billups and Green. Can hit his jumpers/3s and take off double teams off Griffin.

Dudley is just that all around glue guy. Can pretty much do it all and will have CP feeding him and getting looks from Redick and Griffin a lot I would like go imagine. Both are spacers, kind of young, and are definite big upgrades from Butler and Billups starting. With Doc coaching, wala, we will see an entire new Clippers.

jarca
CTB MVP X2

rp.gif
votes: 35

People said the same thing on this board about Crawford and he disappeared in the playoff. People said the same thing about odom and stretch 4 and he was a non factor. A large majority of the board thought we will improve after our acquisition last yr.

I got a lot of heat cuz I paraded my opinion that we clearly downgraded.

Just like last yrs off season we're focusing too much on offense and neglecting our needs in the defensive end. Doc river isn't gonna make reddick or Bowen the next toney Allen or Bruce Bowen.

Markojaric
Clipper Starter
ar.gif

I like the trade. JJ and JD are solid players, nice shooters and decent defenders (JD is better here). JJ could help CP3 with ball movement, and they stretch the floor a lot.

We could got a star with Bledsoe? Probably, but now we have a very good starting 5, with no questionable players, and maybe DJ could finally become with doc our double double guy we want him to be.

Not sure how Matt Barnes fits in this scheme, though. Or Reggie Bullock, for that matter. I have the feeling that one of those two are gonna be traded for a backup pg.

lobcityhawaii
CTB MVP X1

us.gif

He was on a team that he had to force and create more of his shots. On this team, he will most likely be more efficient with the best PG in the game feeding him and also Blake when he gets doubled.

Agent0
CTB MVP X1
votes: 37

@jarca, agreed that there are still defensive needs to be filled. I would ultimately prefer a defensive SG starting, Redick as a 6th man backup guard, and trading Crawford. Are the players to make that happen around? Not sure.

I think the defense can be improved by the system and with a solid defensive backup big man. Odom is a bad example though because he sucked and we were hoping he would become good.

About Crawford, not only did he meet a bad matchup in Allen (look at Durant if you're trying to beat him by just on the ball iso), he wasn't that far off his usual playoff efficiency drop. His previous two playoffs: .510 TS%, 18.5 pts/36, 104 Ortg. This season: .486 TS%, 14.5 pts/36, 104 Ortg, and his minutes in the final game didn't help his pts/minutes or efficiency. So the really is that people's expectations of Crawford in the post-season were inaccurate.

Game 1-5: 13 pts / .526 TS% in 29.8 MPG (15.7 pts/36), so he was on pace for his most efficient scoring playoffs until his 0 pts in 12 minutes in game 6. He had >118 Ortg in 3 out of the first 5 games, 94 in the other two.

Afflalo has the same problem, efficiency tanks in the playoffs. J.J. Redick is up and down, and not as good a 3PT shooter in the post-season, and Dudley with a smaller sample size doesn't have this issue. That's at least one positive when it comes to offense.

we can just sign a backup PG, no need to trade anyone, backup PG's aren't expensive.

@clippermitch, Redick's TS% was .571, .590 as a Magic player where he shot 45% / 39% in 50 games. His number went down as a Buck, but the Bucks team 20 game sample where he had a .529 TS% doesn't replace 7 seasons + 50 game where he consistently had .569 TS% or higher.

botev1921
Clipper Starter

bu.gif

I am very happy with Dudley. He is young, can play numerous positions, can hit a three and can rebound. Not happy with JJ as I think he is a toss up between what he did with the Bucks (terrible and uninterested) and what he had going in Orlando (aggressive, solid defense and a 20ppg guy). We can only hope Bucks was a flop because of a bad fit, plus he is a starter and that would make him even more motivated...and with CP3...just hoping! We need to bring another SF, a reliable back-up PG and hopefully a vet center!

Paul

Redick

Dudley

Blake

DJ (meh)

toohipcliptoslip
CTB MVP X1
votes: 31

Boy a large cloud of testosterone has descended onto this board.

Tense WTF is an advanced matrix? I can't even understand simple mattresses. Is it like Star Trek chess? The crystalline structure of the molecules of that sugar cube so long ago?

The number of fingers on my hand limits my math. There are five numbers, one, two three and four and greater than four. Please do not exceed my limit

ClipperSam
Clipper All-Star
votes: 14

I was surprised by this trade. Not a bad trade but the Clippers defenatly could have gotten a lot more. Hopefully they do well and can help us eleviate the fact we gave up Bledsoe.

toohipcliptoslip
CTB MVP X1
votes: 31

ps

As far as wine I prefer Mogan David or Possibly Wild Irish Rose vintage May served in the traditional brown paper bag. The screw top helps to maintain its freshness

The worst hangover you've ever had--believe me

CP3Heliflopter
CTB MVP X2
votes: 10

How is Afflalo a starter quality player but Redick and Dudley are not? All of these players are pretty much at the same level. In fact, I would say Dudley is better than Afflalo. He has better stats and is around the same level defensively.

People are overrating Afflalo like crazy. Now he can guard guys like Parker? He is a decent defender but so is Dudley. Redick is a poor defender but he is the best shooter out of all of them and he is a good playmaker now too.

Regardless Redick + Dudley>>>> Afflalo by himself.

smittywerb
Clipper Starter

Love the trade, just prefer someone other than Dud starting for us at the 3. I would like someone who can shoot and drive from the 3, but I know that's kind of hard to find. Granger would have been a nice addition but I don't know if we were interested or not.

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

← Was There a No Headband Rule Last Year?

→ Clippers Meeting with Carl Landry Tonight.